Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Windage trays interchange on LS7

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Windage trays interchange on LS7

Besides physically fitting, is it possible to change windage trays without causing harm to a different style? In my case, I am wanting to put an fbody windage tray on an LS7 dry sump oil pan. (Which would be custom modified in the front to be shorter, which wont allow the ls7 windage tray to fit)

Besides the lose of having the front part of the crank in the windage tray, should I be worried about any oiling issues? I'm thinking no, but would love someone else to come in and tell me possible repercussions

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Why do you want to change windage trays?
Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FD RX-7 steering rack position requires a very thin oil pan up front. If "we" want to run dry sump the pan has to be modified and the LS7 tray will not work.

Most run the F-body pan as it fits perfectly. All others would require modification.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I would think the thin part of the pan up front would serve as sort of a windage tray, being as close to the crank as it is. Why not just cut off the part of the LS7 tray that's in the way and let the remaining part do as it did before, with the front of the pan being a continuation of the partial tray?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I would think the thin part of the pan up front would serve as sort of a windage tray, being as close to the crank as it is. Why not just cut off the part of the LS7 tray that's in the way and let the remaining part do as it did before, with the front of the pan being a continuation of the partial tray?
That thought has crossed my mind as well. The only thought there is, at that point is the cut ls7 tray basically the same as the fbody tray I already had sitting around? Is there any benefit to a cut ls7 tray vs a stock fbody tray? I have them both since I had an fbody pan on my previous ls1, and the ls7 came with one, so cost isnt a consideration
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Call improved racing... I went thru this on an LS7 build converted to wet sump also in an RX-7. They provided a nice scraper tray (adds a few HP) to work and it only needed minimal clearance to work.

If you just are looking to run a stock Fbody windage tray you need to space it out with washers to clear the 4" stroke and rotate the assembly to check it. Some minimal bending of the tray may also be required but just enough to clear.

BTW- I dig the CCW classic wheels on your car. They look great!

I loved them on my 1st LSx FD conversion!
http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
Old 12-05-2017, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

What crankshaft and rods are you running? Is it a stock LS7 bottom end?

If so I would recommend running our LS7 scraper and windage tray, and simply cut off the front quarter of the windage tray portion to clear the front of the pan. Everything else would bolt right up.

If you have some other crankshaft and rods, let me know, we can try to find a solution.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing
What crankshaft and rods are you running? Is it a stock LS7 bottom end?

If so I would recommend running our LS7 scraper and windage tray, and simply cut off the front quarter of the windage tray portion to clear the front of the pan. Everything else would bolt right up.

If you have some other crankshaft and rods, let me know, we can try to find a solution.

Yep, just a stock bottom end LS7. I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gnx7
Call improved racing... I went thru this on an LS7 build converted to wet sump also in an RX-7. They provided a nice scraper tray (adds a few HP) to work and it only needed minimal clearance to work.

If you just are looking to run a stock Fbody windage tray you need to space it out with washers to clear the 4" stroke and rotate the assembly to check it. Some minimal bending of the tray may also be required but just enough to clear.

BTW- I dig the CCW classic wheels on your car. They look great!

I loved them on my 1st LSx FD conversion!
http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by crash41301
Yep, just a stock bottom end LS7. I'll check it out, thanks!
So if it's basically a stock LS7 setup with a modified oil pan so the front section is shallower, you can use this scraper setup: http://www.improvedracing.com/crank-...kit-p-648.html

Just cut off the front quarter of the removable windage tray, and everything should bolt up fine.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi all - Just received my crank scraper / windage tray from the fine folks at Improved Racing. Michael was super fast, reasonably priced, and the goodies showed up fast! Looking forward to getting them on the V in the next weeks.

Quick Reply: Windage trays interchange on LS7