Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Cooler and Pressure Drop

Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Cooler and Pressure Drop

I'm running a Melling High Volume oil pump in my LS3. I currently have a large oil cooler unsure of capacity (radiator mounted and size, just thin) with -8AN lines. Would the standard LS style oil pump be able to utilize this setup without a major pressure drop or would I need to go with a dry sump system for a cooler like this?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

The size and capacity of an oil cooler and its lines should have no effect on oil pressure, UNLESS they are too small, which would restrict it. A stock pump would be plenty, as high volume pumps are not advised for most non-VVT/DOD LS engines. Too much volume can be as bad as not enough.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, any time you induce an angle (bend) into a line, the pressure will drop accordingly. My only concern on your setup would be the -8 being a little on the small side for oil. Try monitoring the pressure thru the cooler, and with the line bypassing the cooler and see what the diff is...
Old 01-24-2018, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Actually, any time you induce an angle (bend) into a line, the pressure will drop accordingly. My only concern on your setup would be the -8 being a little on the small side for oil. Try monitoring the pressure thru the cooler, and with the line bypassing the cooler and see what the diff is...
I fully understand the flow dynamics of the lines but the fittings shouldn't reduce much as they will be full flow fittings. I was more thinking the general characteristics of how much more volume would need to be pushed through the system
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Oil Pan Modification For Flow Increase

Hi Bandit, the problem is NOT the Cooler & Lines, it is the Oil Pan Passage Way Design.
Remove the Oil Filter Insert, drill the Bypass Hole.

Sure, the cooler will NOT be full flow though it will still cool the oil.

Lance
Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler and Pressure Drop-dsc_0041.jpg  
Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

I think a number 10 line might help - the block oil passage hole is 13mm that is about a number 10 line. The bypass block in the Corvette style Z51 line has a 5/16 hole or so thus the number 8 line they use can becomes a number 10 when the bypass opens up. Not all the oil gets cooled but the flow is made up with the bypass.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
I fully understand the flow dynamics of the lines but the fittings shouldn't reduce much as they will be full flow fittings. I was more thinking the general characteristics of how much more volume would need to be pushed through the system
There will be some pressure drop across the lines and oil cooler, but unless the lines or cooler are too small, it shouldn't be significant and won't be a problem.

Just to throw out a number, at full operating temp, the pressure drop across -10AN lines and a typical oil cooler will probably be around 5-6 PSI at 7 GPM (high RPMs). At low RPMs, the pressure drop will be proportionally lower. We definitely recommend running -10AN lines as -8AN lines are more restrictive and will have a few more PSI of pressure drop.

The oil pump is a positive displacement pump, so flow volume won't be affected by the back pressure. The only affect adding additional restriction will have is that the pump will use more engine horsepower and there will be a bigger pressure drop across the system.

Hope that makes sense.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

If your using a oil thermostat (MOCAL for example) the pressure drop issues are partially mitigated, since it controls the amount of the oil-flow based on temp that gets to bypass through the cooler.. If you think about it, how big is the pickup tube for the pan to pump? it can't move more oil than that size allows, and its suction, not nearly as efficient as the pressure side...

If you've ever blown a oil filter on a dyno run, the factory pump will empty the sump like a flash bulb going off, literally about a second or two and the engine is empty.. So volume / pressure shouldn't be a problem IMHO,, I usually put a T in the hot at both sides of the cooler for initial startup to attach a pressure gauge to to see the overall and drop across the cooler...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You may find this an interesting read:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ting-size.html

I am running -10 on my C5 as is another friend. We're both on Melling pumps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Cooler and Pressure Drop