Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ceramic Piston Top Coat - NA

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Default Ceramic Piston Top Coat - NA

There are arguments stretching back for decades about whether ceramic topped pistons improve detonation resistance or promote detonation during extended high load driving.

What do you guys think? My current LS2 stroker has ceramic topped pistons and it runs VERY well for what it is. I don't have detonation issues that I know of, but in 4th on some pulls I've sometimes noticed some KR. Might just be too much timing near torque peak under high load.

The argument that comes up is for half mile, mile, and road racing that it may be counter productive due to keeping too much heat in the combustion chamber, and should only be used on street engines or drag engines with only short bursts of WOT. My car will likely see a track day or two in its life, and I don't want to be afraid to try and hit top speed with it on the mile if I ever get the chance.

What do you guys think? I personally think it has helped my engine make great power, but obviously don't have a comparison.

I may be doing a set of pistons and rings on an upcoming rebuild depending on the quality of my cylinder walls and am curious what I should do.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Piston Top Coat - NA