Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Purple=IN; Lime Green=OUT....got it
Old 02-14-2018, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Lookin good man. Can't wait to see what this thing does when it's complete. What rockers are you going to use? Tony's YTs?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Purple=IN; Lime Green=OUT....got it
LOL! total accident, but perfectly true.

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Lookin good man. Can't wait to see what this thing does when it's complete. What rockers are you going to use? Tony's YTs?
Right now, they are stock. The only reason I stayed stock was the lash caps allow me to dial things in. I actually prefer non-adjustable stuff, because once everything is bolted in, it can't move. Shims are reliable. When I upgrade the heads, I'll look at the rockers also. Very likely will end up with YT and the 10-mm bolt upgrade for increased stiffness.

I'm actually up against a hard deadline for getting the car running. And it's easier to self-motivate to work on a car that is running vs a car that's down for months. Same reasoning behind using a stock intake for now. I can do anything I want later, and it's easy enough to swap the intake out, but I can't have the car not running for months waiting on parts, etc. but I have clear direction, so it won't be like the 346 build where I ended up going through several iterations to get where I wanted.

So, I leave town tomorrow morning, return friday, am in town for a week, and then two more solid weeks of travel. If nothing goes wrong in the wiring and if I didn't eff-word the mechanicals, I really need to be running by Feb 25th. And I'll get the pushrods Feb 19. And I'd really rather set lash while everything is out. So, if I can get that buttoned up Monday night, I have the rest of the week to get the engine in the car and <hopefully> fired up. Then I can spend some time on the tune and get it right before laying down a baseline.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm definitely staying tuned... Lol. Har har. But yes, looking forward to a video perhaps of this thing firing up. Also looking to have my own back together this weekend. I have the heads back from the machine shop, I have my new lifters, and gaskets. Everything is ready to go for parts. Just need the time to put it together.

I agree that it's easier to stay motivated on a running car than it is on one that sits while the engine is on the stand. My only problem is I sometimes will rush through something, or cut a corner here or there to get it done faster. Wiring in my engine bay was a great example of this. I finally did what I should have done in the first place and remove all the useless wires from the harness, and reroute it to where I actually wanted it rather than just settle for the stock setup. Many things like that I overlooked to get the car going. So now I've spent months going back through and fixing all the little things that bug me, that I should have done when there was room.

Keep the pictures flowing... Love seeing this thing come together. One thing I will throw out there, for a clean look on the harness try Painless Power Braid, or Summit brand, etc to wrap the wires up. It looks awesome and works great. It's a bit pricey when you buy all the separate sizes, but totally worth it if you are going for a "no wire" look. I was very pleased with how mine turned out. I'll post some pics when everything is back together this weekend. It really only takes about a half day to wrap everything up and reroute things where you want them.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera_EFI
Hi Jake, I did an EAP Model, a Back/Back LS-7(100mm)/my ITB 65mm DD using the specification provided in your build statement (Pontiacolypse).
The results were 806 HP @ 6500/757 HP @ 6000 for the LS-7 intake.

YOUR VOL is 120 @ 5500

There are two items I guessed about, the exhaust runner length of 32" AND Port Flow numbers though I used my best record of that flow. (LS-7 head)

A 30" primary increased power to 811, same RPM

Lance
Found this little gem over in the advanced engineering section. Quoted it here. Thanks for this, Lance!!! I'm guessing this is brakeHP numbers, but this is in the neighborhood of where I thought I'd be with everything done. Gives me hope to possibly exceed my own expectations.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing build, looking forward to seeing what numbers you get out of it!
Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build. You beat me to the idea. I am building a TT stroked ls2 with LS3 heads for a 2004 GTO. It will be in the area of 6.5L. It is a tribute to the 68 GTO I had in highschool. The side badges on the 68 said GTO 6.5 Litre. Huron Speed is making an updated version of the APS stealth turbo kit.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Nice! I had a friend trying to convince me to do a 4.125 x 3.75 old school 400 on the LS. Pontiac gonna live on. Lol
Old 02-20-2018, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

this is going to be a treat of a build here and this motor should be a monster. in for build.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 AM

Thanks mang!

I been moving **** over to get ready to put the motor in and I broke the steering rack mounts. I mean they just snapped off like twigs so now I dont trust the gear. Gotta replace that. Other minor issue is the cable throttle bracket isn't there on the LS7 manifold. So I gotta do some inagineering there.

But, I got the valvetrain completely finished off now, got more hardware and sensors moved over to the 428.

My punch list is getting shorter. I'm going to route the brake booster line to the vacuum pump and take that off the intake. That'll make future intake removals a breeze. I also extended that little vacuum line in the back for easier intake removal and install. Only thing left is some welding for rigidity on the core support and extending the map. I will hold off installing the alternator and starter until the power train is back in the car.

Car wont be driving Friday like I hoped cause of the gear. But maybe I can still get it started. We will see anyway.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say 52mm ITB chokes, are they big enough?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by lstvr
You say 52mm ITB chokes, are they big enough?
Yes, they are big enough, but they are not the optimal size. Lance and I have been talking. I'd rather fit 65mm throttles, but I have to have the runners lay down vs going straight up.

Still, 8 x 52mm is double the area of a single 102mm throttle, so the total capacity for airflow is still much higher.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Yes, they are big enough, but they are not the optimal size. Lance and I have been talking. I'd rather fit 65mm throttles, but I have to have the runners lay down vs going straight up.

Still, 8 x 52mm is double the area of a single 102mm throttle, so the total capacity for airflow is still much higher.
Simply awesome......Lance Linguistics.....
Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Hydro Boost Brake System

Hi Jake, the last 65mm ITB Camaro I supplied used a Hydro Boost Brake Cylinder assembly.
This used the OEM Power Steering Pump for pressure supply.

The TVR "tech" IS CORRECT "small" AND equal to a 2.05 Intake Valve. (52mm)

I too have been working with LS-1 tech members with us FINDING Jenvey.
They offer a LS-7 Cross Ram 52mm manifold that uses a SFD @ 60mm Butterfly.

I have Andy Frost (Red Victor) in England as my Jenvey Agent.

Lance
Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Jake, the last 65mm ITB Camaro I supplied used a Hydro Boost Brake Cylinder assembly.
This used the OEM Power Steering Pump for pressure supply.

The TVR "tech" IS CORRECT "small" AND equal to a 2.05 Intake Valve. (52mm)

I too have been working with LS-1 tech members with us FINDING Jenvey.
They offer a LS-7 Cross Ram 52mm manifold that uses a SFD @ 60mm Butterfly.

I have Andy Frost (Red Victor) in England as my Jenvey Agent.

Lance
For the brake booster, Imma have to handle it a bit differently, because I broke the steering gear, and I'm not getting another autozone POS gear just to break it again trying to fit it in a non-stock mounting position, so.....

The mounting tab, I was trying to do what @ChopperDoc did, and it just broke clean off when I bolted it down AFTER I did all the modification work.

This takes care of the whole problem by moving the rack out of the way of the oil pan. and it alredy has the longer shaft, etc. Good package deal, really:

So, what I'll be doing is tying the brake vacuum booster into the vacuum pump line. If that ends up causing problems, I'll convert to manual brakes.

IN other news, I got the map harness extended, intake mocked up, a few other odds and ends, and starting to get the motor back into position:

Old 02-22-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry to hear the tab snapped on yours. I looked at doing the manual setup too. I considered everything you can think of to get that thing to fit. I used spacers and a few large washers as shims. I also mounted it to a BMR k member, which has those 3/8 steel mounting tabs. A lot stronger than that stamped steel factory stuff.

My brake booster vacuum line is an AN line with heat shrink on the end, and now even features a clamp on it lol. It's not actually attached to an AN fitting. I had plenty of -6 hose laying around, so I just used that instead of conventional rubber vacuum line. It's on there the same way a rubber one would be lol. It looks a lot better than the old one did.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 AM

A little more progress last night. Slow goings when the hours available are 10PM to 1am. I got the motor and cradle basically in position under the car, driveshaft hooked up and exhaust hooked up. There are five or six parts I'm waiting on before I lower the body. There's no rush, since I'm waiting for the steering gear anyway, and there are things that are just easier while things are wide open. Forgive my 1am photography. I never claimed to be a professional photographerationator.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm curious how you're going to fit the straight up runners underneath the hood, unless you're going with some short ones.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
I'm curious how you're going to fit the straight up runners underneath the hood, unless you're going with some short ones.
I need the runners that lay down. Lance has them also, but they use the smaller throttles. I still might slightly lower the engine. I just don't want it to look stupid.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dem EGR ports

Quick Reply: The Pontiacolypse