Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Del West titanium valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Del West titanium valves

I have a 2006 ls2 going in a 63 Chevy II wagon. The engine is basically stock with a cam and Straub rocker arm bushings. I recently picked up a set of Del West titanium valves from a member here for a bargain and my intent was to keep them for a future build. Now I'm curious as to the opinions here if all things stay the same except swapping the valves. I have the 243 factory heads but they have the solid valves unlike the ls6 stuff. How big a difference do lighter valves make? These valves with lash caps are setup for stock rockers and are intended for use with the stock valve guides. Thanks for any input and opinions.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Crack Test

Hi, I would have your Ti Valves tested for cracks, ZY-Glow/X Ray testing by a USAC shop.
The lighter Valves will allow for better engine acceleration, like a lighter flywheel.
The lighter Valve will require less spring pressure, good for HP increase.

Lance
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the main concern when using Ti valves on the street is having the proper seat and guide material as well as valve face coating.

You can run bare Ti valves, but you should use a "softer" seat material such as beryllium copper or another material.

Do some research on the factory LS7 valve and seat issues and corrections. Polished stems, bronze guides, etc.

From a performance perspective, it's all about valvetrain control. Does your intended RPM range dictate a lighter valve? If you have a 6800 RPM limiter, a solid, hollow or Ti valve should meet the goal.

I doubt you would see a significant performance increase just by changing the valves alone, unless something was REALLY out of whack.

Cole
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Default Ti Valve Seat Angle

Hi 75, you could REDUCE your seat angle, the flow will increase.

MANY times I have used a 30* seat angle with a TI Valve (a BBC valve as common) in the Ford 351-C at a cost of $12.00 (NEW)
I have fit a 30* seat in the LS-7 head (Off Road) to allow for LONGER seat life.

YOUR valves will require a new "face" AND the 30* will ADD margin over a 45* face.

I OFTEN DCL a Ti Valve.

The COLE report as to performance increase IS LIMITED, as stated, he has not done an acceleration test !

The engine will accelerate fasted, good for lower gear acceleration increase.
I do agree that Lifter Bleed Down will be less, if any, with a light valve.

DO NOT Polish the Valve Stem, if done, the protective coating could be removed.

Lance
Old 02-19-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Lance, Please do not imply that your experience is gospel and negate other's experience as meaningless. It's REALLY getting old.

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi 75, you could REDUCE your seat angle, the flow will increase.

MANY times I have used a 30* seat angle with a TI Valve (a BBC valve as common) in the Ford 351-C at a cost of $12.00 (NEW)
I have fit a 30* seat in the LS-7 head (Off Road) to allow for LONGER seat life.
So, you're telling me a 30° seat will flow more and last longer? I beg to differ on the flowing more, lasting longer, perhaps. A 50°-55° seat is going to out flow a 30° seat EVERY time. I doubt you are going to find ANY heads offered with a 30° from the manufacturer, for a reason.

YOUR valves will require a new "face" AND the 30* will ADD margin over a 45* face.
Be very careful when suggesting someone should cut their valves. An example is the Del West factory LS7 Ti valves. You can not regrind the face/seat on those valves AT ALL. I would highly suggest a conversation with Del West before grinding the LS2 valves as well.

You can't "add" margin to a valve once it's machined. It can be added during the design phase, but not after it's been cut. If it started life as a 45° or higher seat, then changing to a 30° would merely maintain the SAME margin and cut the backside of the valve more.

I OFTEN DCL a Ti Valve.
Yes, DLC "Diamond Like Carbon" is a good choice for Ti valve coating, as long as it is mated to the proper seat material. One of the more common coatings these days is CrN "Chromium Nitride".

The COLE report as to performance increase IS LIMITED, as stated, he has not done an acceleration test !

The engine will accelerate fasted, good for lower gear acceleration increase.
I do agree that Lifter Bleed Down will be less, if any, with a light valve.
And how do YOU know what tests I have or haven't done? I agree that an engine "may" accelerate faster with a lighter valve, but if the incumbent valve meets the needs (most likely in this case) then the increased acceleration rate post valve material change would be minimal. Please prove me wrong.

DO NOT Polish the Valve Stem, if done, the protective coating could be removed.

Lance
Who says there is a protective coating on the valve at all? Again, a question for Del West to answer. These are used valves, if there is any coating left, I'd rather examine it for wear and if there are any spots in question, I would just remove the coating and run it "bare" like the thousands of other valves that are running out there.

Bottom line, the OP needs to decide if he REALLY needs a Ti valve because a factory valve is insufficient for HIS application or he just wants to put them in there for who knows what reason.

I have LSX-LS7 heads with factory LS7 Ti intake valves that were used when I got them. They are not coated from the factory. They were sent to Del West for polishing after I phoned them to see what THEY recommend I do with them. Another comment was that you most likely won't find a company to coat a USED valve. Too high a risk of contaminating their PVD spray booth with "unknown" particles.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

Default Ti Valve Tech

Hi ALL, My case is a head order (400cfm "C" turbo head), spoke to Dick Maskin,
with his report that a 60* EXHAUST was best for flow with an Inconel Valve ONLY fitted for best valve life due to the fact that an increase in seat angle will cause major wear with lower grade valve material.

I have found a 30* intake seat angle can increase low lift flow as found on GM BBC Ti Valves 3/8" stem I have bought in the past. I have fitted this valve into other engines with the same findings. When employed by HMS (Ford Race Facility) we used a 30* seat angle in the Ford's race engines, the FE.
The "tulip" shape of an intake valve/valve seat is what can add to flow at low lifts.
TRUE, the Del West Valves are coated to protect stem/seat areas AND they are machined, as I stated, when manufactured.
My statement was to "machine" if necessary AND as you state the change to a 30* angle would allow for NO reduction in margin, as I stated. (YOU TWISTED what I stated)

AGAIN, a "twist" about my valve machining tech : NEVER use a stone (grind) to face a Ti Valve as the stone material is EMBEDDED into the Valve Face.

True, as I have coated NEW TI Valves ONLY with DLC.

My guess is to ask Jake about a method to "recon" a Ti Valve with best available coating ?

Lance