Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

So I blew my brand new LS3 crate engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
It never works that way, If you pulled all the bearing caps you're likely to find signs of oil starvation on all of them but usually one bearing will fail completely at random.

As far as oil pressure is concerned, GM's minimum pressure is also at a minimum oil viscosity, I imagine at 280* it was as thin as water.
Yeah, I did swap oil between the 2 times going from the 5/30 to a full racing 10/30. And I did not see any metal in the oil on the swap.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,114 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My point was, being a production engine, I would not have raced it unless I first checked out EVERYTHING inside. A production engine is not a racing engine.
That being said, you might get some warranty satisfaction if you can prove the wall was way too thin. Just don't say you raced it. Competition voids warranties.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They wont warranty a raced engine.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
My point was, being a production engine, I would not have raced it unless I first checked out EVERYTHING inside. A production engine is not a racing engine.
That being said, you might get some warranty satisfaction if you can prove the wall was way too thin. Just don't say you raced it. Competition voids warranties.
but its the same production engine that came in the corvette and camaro and they track those.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
They wont warranty a raced engine.
if you look at the DR525 engine from chevy, that is the same engine but with tamper proof bolts and it comes sealed/ broken in. its the same as the one i bought and its for NMCA comp from the factory.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,114 Likes on 2,429 Posts

They DO track those, but if anything breaks while doing so, the bill is NOT GM's. There are warranties, and those things that void them. Racing is only one.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
They DO track those, but if anything breaks while doing so, the bill is NOT GM's. There are warranties, and those things that void them. Racing is only one.
so the thread has turned into a dick show over warranty when the original question was "hey what do people thing caused this". so yeah im gonna try and submit a warranty claim. do i think i stand a chance, nope but im gonna try. the system its set up enough to deny deny deny. but at least i tried. so thats where i am with that. whomever said that the wrist pin is what caused this, thank you because that makes most sense. so now i look to future and try to figure out how to keep this from happening again.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by pt2285
whomever said that the wrist pin is what caused this, thank you because that makes most sense. so now i look to future and try to figure out how to keep this from happening again.
I mentioned that the wrist pin did the damage to the cylinder wall but not the cause of the piston failure. The cause mentioned above sounds plausible (bearing failure allowing the piston to travel further up in the bore)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd start by removing the rods and bearings keeping them numbered. Look for damage, pitting, etc. Check the big end of the rods to see if they're still round.

Then I'd take a look at the main bearings and see if they tell any of the story.

After that, I'd pull the pistons and rings to see what they look like and measure. My guess is you'll see some scored skirts and possibly some butted rings if it really got that hot.

The reason I asked about calibration was I've personally witnessed a brand new STOCK LS3 put a window through the block on the dyno after 50 pulls. All it took was one too many pulls with the slightest detonation down low (26 degrees of timing at 2500 and WOT) 23 degrees is the max. that it would really tolerate without pulling timing. No warning signs, noises, oil pressure, etc. Broke a piston and the rod made a window.

Looked quite similar to your engine.

Why one piston broke is because that's all it takes to stop the engine. Had it been able to continue to run, I'm sure you would have seen more broken pistons.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ColeGTO
I'd start by removing the rods and bearings keeping them numbered. Look for damage, pitting, etc. Check the big end of the rods to see if they're still round.

Then I'd take a look at the main bearings and see if they tell any of the story.

After that, I'd pull the pistons and rings to see what they look like and measure. My guess is you'll see some scored skirts and possibly some butted rings if it really got that hot.

The reason I asked about calibration was I've personally witnessed a brand new STOCK LS3 put a window through the block on the dyno after 50 pulls. All it took was one too many pulls with the slightest detonation down low (26 degrees of timing at 2500 and WOT) 23 degrees is the max. that it would really tolerate without pulling timing. No warning signs, noises, oil pressure, etc. Broke a piston and the rod made a window.

Looked quite similar to your engine.

Why one piston broke is because that's all it takes to stop the engine. Had it been able to continue to run, I'm sure you would have seen more broken pistons.

see thank you so much.. this makes total sense.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pt2285
But my question now is why just #1 and not any of the others as to what happens to one should happen to the others evenly.
Pressure is created once there is resistance
Oiling systems feed everything further away from the pump but don’t show pressure until all the “leaks” are filled and sustained
So the last assembly to get pressurized oil film will be the closest to the pump. Not the furthest away
Old 03-06-2018, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

thank you all for all the kind words. your input really has helped me build the picture on where i went wrong. if you see me around town or @ ls fest west, i'll buy you a beer.. but just 1, don't be a dick. in other news i am selling some parts on this that are still very useable and i dont need due to replacement engine coming in.. comp 1.8 roller rockers are still in great shape since they only had about 2 months on them.. those are for sale.. my lifters are still great and those are for sale. i put $$ into my heads and upgraded the springs with a comp kit for up to .650 lift, those are for sale... need to be repaired but still functional and ill unload them for a good price.

thank you everyone once again.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Many years ago I warrantied an engine once that blew, at least in part, because of my doing.

Karma bit me in the butt later with a different car and i felt the pain of having to pay for another engine.

it happens, and although i won't judge anyone for trying to warranty their stuff, what i can say is that no matter what, it's a hard lesson, but a good one. I think a lot of us know how much it hurts to lose out on that kind of cash. Sucks, but you won't make the same mistake again, and probably not make several others, either.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are going to road race a LS3 use a dry sump otherwise LS6s, and LS2s have been more reliable. GM dry sumped the C6 Grand Sport manual coupes for a reason.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-track.html

If you do dry sump a LS3 525 I would upgrade the valve springs. Corvetteforum autox/rr section has had reports of the factory springs failing.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Spec Motor Tune

Hi PT, the Off Road Spec LS-3 engines often fail when the tune is changed form the GM specification.
Typically from a broken valve, the Light Valve.

I do not know if you had a valve drop ?

The normal method is to contact the dealer where the engine purchase was made, he will report to the regional tech in your area, mine was Dino.
GM is VERY good to customers with their engine replacement program.

Lance
Old 03-06-2018, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93Polo
If you are going to road race a LS3 use a dry sump otherwise LS6s, and LS2s have been more reliable. GM dry sumped the C6 Grand Sport manual coupes for a reason.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-track.html

If you do dry sump a LS3 525 I would upgrade the valve springs. Corvetteforum autox/rr section has had reports of the factory springs failing.
Baffled oil pan, melling pump, and a 3 qt accusump and I should be good to go. I like the idea of dry sump but it’s a huge cost and after talking with the improved racing guys I’m good to go with the set up I just bought. The dart block has an access port direct into the main oil galley where I can tap the accusump into.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi PT, the Off Road Spec LS-3 engines often fail when the tune is changed form the GM specification.
Typically from a broken valve, the Light Valve.
Lance
How does the tune cause a broken valve? Seems like the tune could only control rev limiter and A/F and spark, but how that automatically results in a broken valve is odd.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If going at this again, try having oil squirters machined into the current block. Or purchase an LSA-block? From my research, that is the cheapest aluminum block (LSA) to get from the factory with oil squirters. It seems a common problem from failures or connecting rods at the wrist pin and wrist pin itself and the tendency to respond to advancement of timing with little or no gains. Sorry this happened, I feel your pain and I feel some pain whenever I see engines destroyed.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kra86
From my research, that is the cheapest aluminum block (LSA) to get from the factory with oil squirters. It seems a common problem from failures or connecting rods at the wrist pin and wrist pin itself and the tendency to respond to advancement of timing with little or no gains.
Wrist pins and piston pin bores don’t fail. The reason for squirters is to cool the underside of the pistons which rejects heat back into the combustion chamber. Cadillac engineers were able to gain 15 foot pounds of torque from a couple additional degrees of timing without detonation when using oilers
Old 03-06-2018, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Ring gap may not have been wide enough for road race track use,,,
I was pretty hard core in to road racing for years.. I saw several corvettes blow on track, overheated transaxles being a biggie on the later models. (2 burned to the ground... )

Even the special order GM motorsports competition package cars came WITHOUT an oil cooler for the trans and a itty bitty one on the engine.. Helped build one of the big motor factory dry sump cars and they had to drop over 40K in the engine to make it race-reliable.. Burnt Pistons, broken valves, valve springs, crank noses.. Road racing is tough on motors in big power cars.

If the oil hit 280, your Piston temps were through the roof, you may have stuck a piston in the bore.