Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Building a motor to support boost / 600 WHP

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I hope I can help you learn something today. There is nobody using 93 and 12+ psi of boost on any stock LS engine (for long) for a reason. the number of Watts coming out of the engine is too high- even if it does not upset the fuel, the metal of the engine will over-expand. Some form of EGT restriction is needed. Making an engine richer than 11's, 10:1 9:1 7:1 is not a viable solution. We want the a/f near 14 if possible. it just isn't possible usually because it would upset the nature/reaction of the fuel. You are thinking from the fuel end, which is fine, but all fuels, and especially 93 octane, have cooling limitations. Water is better to add as low temp liquid when temps are above its boiling point because of the phase change potential. I could take an 11.8:1, add some water and potentially be near 13-14 again some applications. Depends on compression, and rate of compression, heat transfer properties of the materials surrounding the area.
How many Watts are we talking???
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
How many Watts are we talking???
YUGE Watts! Like MEGAwatts!!!!

Lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,108 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Wattzat????
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM

Why not just spray water/meth in the headers?? That'll bring egt down
Old 03-12-2018, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
YUGE Watts! Like MEGAwatts!!!!

Lol.
Damn... I was hoping I could attain at least 1.21 jigawatts for my Delorean swap...

Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

I love this. Try to prove it. Nobody has, nobody can......
1. I made no mention of intercooling. Perhaps my example is non-intercooled, in which case the outlet temp of the compressor starts out around 200*F and disaster is sure to ensue on 93.
2. I made no mention of heat transfer rate from the exhaust system, my example could be fully insulated, retaining all temperature and causing a meltdown, even at low power levels.....
By your own argument....The rest of us were referring to an intercooled setup and non-insulated exhaust system, which is see on >95% or better of street built turbocharged setups.

You yourself admit that FL weather is brutal and yet you want to make an argument about "no mention of intercooling". Stay in school and perhaps take a logic or argument class on how to properly defend a stance. Your mind would likely explode if we went on about how on a forged motor you can make 800whp on 93 octane only no meth/water injection.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Damn... I was hoping I could attain at least 1.21 jigawatts for my Delorean swap...

Damn it!! So obvious, and I MISSED it!!!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
By your own argument....The rest of us were referring to an intercooled setup and non-insulated exhaust system, which is see on >95% or better of street built turbocharged setups.

You yourself admit that FL weather is brutal and yet you want to make an argument about "no mention of intercooling". Stay in school and perhaps take a logic or argument class on how to properly defend a stance. Your mind would likely explode if we went on about how on a forged motor you can make 800whp on 93 octane only no meth/water injection.
dont even try it.

You came into this thread with:
Originally Posted by ddnspider
Its ENTIRELY about the tune.
which portrays a holier than thou approach, it insinuates that one might one day become as godly computer tuner as you are, and be able to tune any LS engine in any configuration on 93 octane with no consequences.

You are giving the image to novices that they can pick up a computer and with expert keystrokes tune 'everything' because tuning is everything.

When in fact it is clearly not everything.
You can't tune your way out of every situation, it isn't everything.

The main problem here is lack of imagination. There are plenty of scenarios where tuning won't be everything. Lets try a few:
1. wrong injectors in the engine
2. incorrect gasket matching
3. poor assembly / parts matching
4. configurations which retain heat
5. displacement too low for the weight of the vehicle/gearing
6. tires fell off the car
7. add your favorite

If some guy tells me "tuning is everything" I might connect my compressor directly to the engine and try 18psi on a stock engine. You going to assume intercooling, meth, etc.. Then say "Assumptions: Intercooler efficiency 76%" and then give the math if possible that corrects IAT based on resistance, since boost pressure measured at the compressor is always higher than when it finally reaches the engine, even without an intercooler. meow
Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

dont even try it.

which portrays a holier than thou approach, it insinuates that one might one day become as godly computer tuner as you are, and be able to tune any LS engine in any configuration on 93 octane with no consequences.

You are giving the image to novices that they can pick up a computer and with expert keystrokes tune 'everything' because tuning is everything.

The main problem here is lack of imagination. There are plenty of scenarios where tuning won't be everything. Lets try a few:
7. add your favorite

If some guy tells me "tuning is everything" I might connect my compressor directly to the engine and try 18psi on a stock engine. You going to assume intercooling, meth, etc.. Then say "Assumptions: Intercooler efficiency 76%" and then give the math if possible that corrects IAT based on resistance, since boost pressure measured at the compressor is always higher than when it finally reaches the engine, even without an intercooler. meow
I truly am sorry you don't understand that when people talk on this forum and ask for advice, the general assumption is that you're not an idiot and won't have to discuss things like wheels falling off the car. Everyone else in this thread has followed the thought process except for you, which is unfortunate. The general assumption, UNLESS THE THREAD MENTIONS SPECIFIC CONSIDERATIONS, is all things being equal and you are doing it the right way. Meaning intercooling etc. So for 600whp, assuming a reasonably designed setup because the assumption is the OP isn't an idiot.....all you need is a good tune and a stock motor.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 897 Likes on 639 Posts

I love this. Try to prove it. Nobody has, nobody can.
Honestly...I don't need to. You do more than enough.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

dont even try it.

7. add your favorite

I really appreciate your concern to give advice and what not but I do have to admit it does come off that you're really putting more thought and effort into this than whats necessary to win this debate. I mean, realistically going into a forced induction build with the wrong injectors it doesn't matter how good of a tuner you are you're destined for disaster thus we can assume someone would be wise enough to use the proper injectors, same for head gaskets... Poor assembly / parts ? I mean, sure you could go all out and build a forged machine but if its still improperly manufactured then it doesnt matter how good of a tune or how well biult the motor is, its on borrowed time right from the start especially on a high horsepower build...

By this what I'm stating is by the advice given we can assume the basics have been covered, injectors especially... This is more so a discussion about the integrity of a stock LQ4 block versus a forged block and is forged really necessary given the same boost configuration (which arguably the injectors would assumed to be apart of that configuration setup.)

...Just let it go and relax man...
We all have times where we're wrong but you're really grasping for straws at this point.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-13-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When someone says "It's all in the tune", they are assuming the motor wasn't built by a clueless person with the wrong injectors, gaskets, improper assembly, etc.

In this case, yes, its all in the tune.

Time for a here.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
When someone says "It's all in the tune", they are assuming the motor wasn't built by a clueless person with the wrong injectors, gaskets, improper assembly, etc.

Time for a here.
I think its time for
Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck

Time for a here.
Gladly.