Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Built ls3 with mods, low torque numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If you want your headers to live a good life, get rid of the wrap. It's not proven to help anything, and the headers will corrode faster with it.
first of all I'm interested with cause of glow, can it be timing issue?
Old 07-25-2018, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,535 Posts

I would think so. Is it just the one cylinder? If one retards, they all should.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:12 PM
Teching In

I would think so. Is it just the one cylinder? If one retards, they all should.
no, both of them
but ignition is dyno set, tuner advanced spark until it started to lose power
that's why I asked about camshaft timing, maybe valves are closed too late? when I was cranking engine for the first time without spark and fuel, it was throwing something like compressed air or mixture out of the exhaust ports, never seen anything like that on other engines I built
Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The glowing headers issue needs to be resolved. It could be related to the low power. Are the headers glowing at idle or after a pull?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZNix
The glowing headers issue needs to be resolved. It could be related to the low power. Are the headers glowing at idle or after a pull?
they where glowing after few circles on the track when we first seen this. it was definitely on load

Last edited by Goga Samsonadze; 07-26-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:06 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Headers glowing is normally a sign of being LEAN AS ****
Old 07-26-2018, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavn
Headers glowing is normally a sign of being LEAN AS ****
True, could be a spark issue as well. Really retarded timing can cause that. Fuel burning in the header is no good.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Glowing headers sounds like a timing issue.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goga, the signs are all there. A typical case of over scavenging, that is low on torque and glowing headers. Your exhaust system might be too unrestrictive and with this long exh duration the fuel mixture will be pulled out before in the exh iso delivering its energy in the cylinder. Longer exh duration usually bleeds off torque and if you have a fairly good intake side you will just not benefit of the intake charge going to combustion. It will burn in the headers instead(glowing headers).

The fix is expensive (new camshaft) but if you can get hold of a set of lower ratio rockers 1,6:1 it will most likely decrease the glowing headers and make more torque. (Install only on intake side).

I have seen this several times on dyno tests.

Good luck
Old 07-27-2018, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Joystick
Goga, the signs are all there. A typical case of over scavenging, that is low on torque and glowing headers. Your exhaust system might be too unrestrictive and with this long exh duration the fuel mixture will be pulled out before in the exh iso delivering its energy in the cylinder. Longer exh duration usually bleeds off torque and if you have a fairly good intake side you will just not benefit of the intake charge going to combustion. It will burn in the headers instead(glowing headers).

The fix is expensive (new camshaft) but if you can get hold of a set of lower ratio rockers 1,6:1 it will most likely decrease the glowing headers and make more torque. (Install only on intake side).

Good luck
thank you for answer, but maybe it is worth to try advancing the cam?

Old 07-27-2018, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Goga Samsonadze
thank you for answer, but maybe it is worth to try advancing the cam?
Yes, you can try advancing the cam. Also, did you change the crank or have you had the crank reluctor off/on?

If the crank/reluctor and the ecu have been changed it’s good practise to zero the crank and fabricate a temporary timing pointer to verify TDC.
We have seen as much as +/-5 degrees off.
The ecu will only show the timing read from the crank sensor/reluctor and if it’s off you will never know if you don’t zero.
So your timing might be off.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 AM
Staging Lane

Goga, I can see I wrote ”install on intake side” should of course be exhaust side
Old 07-27-2018, 10:12 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Good luck
Overscavenging wouldn’t cause high EGT’s, it will usually do the opposite. Its a common trick with the big power adder stuff to keep the exhaust valve cool. Overscavenging will pull FRESH air and fuel from the intake side out through the exhaust BEFORE it’s been ignited, so it is at a much cooler temp than the exhaust gases.

You might be thinking of when the exhaust valve opens too soon in the power phase and the fuel and air are still burning as it exits the exhaust. In that case, advancing the cam more will exaggerate the problem.

As already mentioned, its most likely a timing issue causing a situation where the air/fuel mixture is still burning as it exits the exhaust valve. Either the cam is too far advanced as described above, or the ignition timing is so low that it ignites the air/ful mixture way late causing the aame issue.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Yes, you can try advancing the cam. Also, did you change the crank or have you had the crank reluctor off/on?

If the crank/reluctor and the ecu have been changed it’s good practise to zero the crank and fabricate a temporary timing pointer to verify TDC.
We have seen as much as +/-5 degrees off.
The ecu will only show the timing read from the crank sensor/reluctor and if it’s off you will never know if you don’t zero.
So your timing might be off.

no, we haven't touched crank reluctor wheel. crankshaft came from LQ4 engine with 24X reluctor wheel, so we just polished journals and plastigauged it, that's all.
About timing, I'm not sure about top of my head but, previous LS engine I built, started directly and flawlessly on Link G4+ ecu, while I had to correct trigger setting on this engine, it was backfiring from intake manifold, I corrected trigger degrees, set it to 16 from 10, and it worked well after this. I'm not sure why it was so, because only cylinder heads and camshafts where different from previous engine
Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS

Overscavenging wouldn’t cause high EGT’s, it will usually do the opposite. Its a common trick with the big power adder stuff to keep the exhaust valve cool. Overscavenging will pull FRESH air and fuel from the intake side out through the exhaust BEFORE it’s been ignited, so it is at a much cooler temp than the exhaust gases.

You might be thinking of when the exhaust valve opens too soon in the power phase and the fuel and air are still burning as it exits the exhaust. In that case, advancing the cam more will exaggerate the problem.

As already mentioned, its most likely a timing issue causing a situation where the air/fuel mixture is still burning as it exits the exhaust valve. Either the cam is too far advanced as described above, or the ignition timing is so low that it ignites the air/ful mixture way late causing the aame issue.
what are degree increments to advance the cam? I don't want to go much for the first time
Old 07-27-2018, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Goga Samsonadze
what are degree increments to advance the cam? I don't want to go much for the first time
He said NOT to advance the cam... that might be what's causing your problem.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

A few things.

If you bored it to 4.030 it's not a 6.2 now and never was.

Second it could be ignition timing is too retarded causing the flame front to start too late and still be burning on the way out the exhaust valve.

Third, don't just go changing the timing of the cam without knowing if that's your problem. Find the problem first, then fix it, don't just guess at it.

Did you double check the timing marks on the cam gears were perfect?
How much ignition timing are you running?
You need to double check your cam alignment and go ahead and get a degree wheel and degree the cam to make sure it's installed and manufactured right.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-27-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Teching In

He said NOT to advance the cam... that might be what's causing your problem.
cam cannot be advanced now, because timing is set correctly, and yes, I double checked timing marks
Old 07-27-2018, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

What the what
Old 07-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
A few things.

If you bored it to 4.030 it's not a 6.2 now and never was.

Second it could be ignition timing is too retarded causing the flame front to start too late and still be burning on the way out the exhaust valve.

Third, don't just go changing the timing of the cam without knowing if that's your problem. Find the problem first, then fix it, don't just guess at it.

Did you double check the timing marks on the cam gears were perfect?
How much ignition timing are you running?
You need to double check your cam alignment and go ahead and get a degree wheel and degree the cam to make sure it's installed and manufactured right.
timing marks are perfectly aligned, I'm not sure but tuner set 16 degrees idle timing, with 35 degrees total, I can double check and post ignition map if it will be usefull

Last edited by Goga Samsonadze; 07-27-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Built ls3 with mods, low torque numbers