Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Low oil pressure with the AC running

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure with the AC running

While driving last night I noticed my car started sounding a bit different after I turned the AC on and also a lose of some power. I look down at the oil pressure gauge and it was around 5 ish psi. I pulled over and checked the dipstick, noticing the engine bay was very hot, but the car wasn't over heating. Oil was full and looked good. I shut the car off for over an hour and decided to run it with the AC off since I was 45 minutes from home. With the AC off the car ran great, had power back, oil pressure was a little lower than normal but nothing crazy, (around 30psi). I understand a bearing starting to freeze up on the compressor will cause parasitic power lose, but the oil pressure being down so low is what Im not understanding. Wouldn't it shred a belt or something similar before pulling on the pump that much? Its a Melling oil pump on a Gen IV 378 LS. Please help me understand whats going on?
Old 08-26-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I bet it's electrical. SOMETHING is sucking electrical power (fans?) when the AC is on, causing the ECM to malfunction, cutting fuel, timing, etc. Check ALL grounds and all other connections.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I bet it's electrical. SOMETHING is sucking power (fans?) when the AC is on, causing the ECM to malfunction, cutting fuel, timing, etc. Check ALL grounds and all other connections.
Thats exactly what my buddy says also.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by se7en82
Thats exactly what my buddy says also.
Forgot to say, that would throw the gauges off too.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Forgot to say, that would throw the gauges off too.
Good point
Old 08-27-2018, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Did you happen to see where the voltage was when this was happening? Grab a volt meter and hook it to the battery and let the car run and get warm. Then turn on all the lights and the ac on full blast and see what voltage you have, if you can use a meter don't trust the dash gauge until you can confirm it's correct with the meter.

The only way the a/c would pull the car down that bad is if the compressor was trying to seize up internally. The pulley has a bearing and if that bearing was on it's way out it wouldn't matter if the a/c was on or not. '

The a/c being on engages the clutch which turns the inside of the compressor, so if you're thinking it has something to do with the compressor, it would be the guts of it causing issues, not the bearing in the pulley. And when those bearings start going bad they get real loud like any other bearing does.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

I will certainly check it tomorrow to see and then update you on here. I do remember hearing a noise but with a 9” in a spool in the back and procharger up front it’s not uncommon to hear weird noises. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll get back with you.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by se7en82
I will certainly check it tomorrow to see and then update you on here. I do remember hearing a noise but with a 9” in a spool in the back and procharger up front it’s not uncommon to hear weird noises. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll get back with you.
lol I hear ya. BTW, a mechanics stethoscope is extremely helpful for tracking down noises, they're about $10-$15 at the parts store.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Did you happen to see where the voltage was when this was happening? Grab a volt meter and hook it to the battery and let the car run and get warm. Then turn on all the lights and the ac on full blast and see what voltage you have, if you can use a meter don't trust the dash gauge until you can confirm it's correct with the meter.

The only way the a/c would pull the car down that bad is if the compressor was trying to seize up internally. The pulley has a bearing and if that bearing was on it's way out it wouldn't matter if the a/c was on or not. '

The a/c being on engages the clutch which turns the inside of the compressor, so if you're thinking it has something to do with the compressor, it would be the guts of it causing issues, not the bearing in the pulley. And when those bearings start going bad they get real loud like any other bearing does.
I did this and the voltage drop was minimal.
.2 to .4 at the most.