Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Blow By Issues (Compression + Leakdown Results)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

The 10295 is not an issue at all. It merely operates at a higher pressure which is good especially for cold starts, high torque applications, and higher rpm/boost situations.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
I suspected that you were using a high volume pump well before you said so. That is causing most of your issue.
You dont have a use for it so why use it? Where do you think that extra volume goes when there is no need for it?
Ive literally been preaching this for the past year or more.
DO NOT USE HIGH VOLUME PUMPS ON LS ENGINES.
The only ones that MAY need them are ones with oil accumulators or very large oil coolers or vvt/afm. Otherwise you do not need it and it will cause problems.
Interesting. I do have an oil cooler: https://www.cxracing.com/OC-248-30-AN10

Not sure what you consider very large. I have suspected that this is a cause.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
40 sessions is actually a fair number for a v8 used on track.
On the fleet I took care of we did rings every season, typically 25 to 30 sessions..

Sprint engine got rings 4 times a year, but thats 800 HP at 10.5K rpm..
Agreed, we're running a conservative red line (6,600 if I remember correctly) and the car weighs 2600lbs so the hope was we weren't putting excessive loads on it
Old 10-19-2018, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GeicoGecko
Interesting. I do have an oil cooler: https://www.cxracing.com/OC-248-30-AN10

Not sure what you consider very large. I have suspected that this is a cause.
I have the gm oil cooler on my 2500hd truck. most trucks do. and using a high volume pump would do the same thing. Cause issue. it is not a significant amount of extra capacity to require extra volume.
Ive never really seen a reason for them in ls. quite a few guys will run a high volume pump then think its ok to put the stock pressure spring in and its good because they are having seal issues...then they have to put in restrictors also. Bandiads for the real issue.

Ditch the high volume pump. it will alleviate a few issues.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Are you hooking these lines through the catch can and to the intake manifold and throttle body? If so I can see you pulling oil into the catch can so why not ditch the PCV setup and run each valve cover to a breather can.

10AN lines of each valve cover to the breather can. No more oil being sucked into a can to see. All I've ever seen come out of the breather can is condensation.

If I where to do it differently I would run a breather can for each valve cover and set them up to go under my hood stops.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also read about high volume oil pumps being a concern. I read that during an Australian burn out contest a Ls2 while burning rubber on a race track while going into a slight up hill section would loose his crank bearings! The owner found that the high volume oil pump he was running would suck his pan dry! That's an impressive pump. Or is it? This is why I have always stayed away from them.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Are you hooking these lines through the catch can and to the intake manifold and throttle body? If so I can see you pulling oil into the catch can so why not ditch the PCV setup and run each valve cover to a breather can.

10AN lines of each valve cover to the breather can. No more oil being sucked into a can to see. All I've ever seen come out of the breather can is condensation.

If I where to do it differently I would run a breather can for each valve cover and set them up to go under my hood stops.
I don't like the stock pcv setup either. My dip stick would pop up and through oil onto the headers. So I made changes too. Some say not to use a breather but I use one now. It solved my problems and my breather doesn't even get any oil on it. Go figure.