Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls2 build

 
Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 AM
  #1  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
JStock1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 44
Default Ls2 build

Hey guys, i'm having a hard time deciding which heads would work better for my build. I picked up an 05 corvette (ls2) motor for my 02 f body camaro. I've completely tore it down and had everything checked. My build so far is tsp torquer v4 cam, fast lsxr 102 intake, and i had a guy port the 243's that came with the motor but he completely destroyed them. So now i'm looking into the prc 2.5 ls6 heads or the prc5.3 2.5 heads. I don't really know a lot about PRC and kind of don't understand enough about the heads to make an accurate pick. The car is a 6 spd with stock gears. What kind of numbers do u think i'll get? Also is there anything about this build u would change? If so, why? Getting opinions for others is really important to me right know, because i'm new to the LS world. Had an iroc tune port 350 before this and it's a world of difference. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and i hope you guys have a wonderful day.

Jason

Last edited by JStock1225; 01-06-2019 at 02:45 AM.
JStock1225 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 AM
  #2  
Launching!
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 213
Default

Buy the best heads you can afford. I like to call people that actually do heads for a living.
Prc 5.3 heads may rise your compession more than your willing to go.
Prc ls6 heads would match your ls2 Corvette motor.
me personally if I was in your shows I would look into budget ls3 heads. But that requires an intake change.
Fishmasterdan is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 PM
  #3  
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coast of San Mateo County Between Pacifica & HMB
Posts: 1,535
Default

I would suggest the Mamo MOTORSPORTS (MMS) Sportsman 223 Heads, Starts with a TFS 220 as cast
adds Tony's touches & valve job great value for the money, can still run factory rockers
(bushing upgrade recommended).

Best Heads, the fully CNCd MMS 220s but require Roller rockers per Tony.
I would have Tony spec a Cam Motion Cam for his Heads, better performance
from a smaller cam makes for a more fun driver.
My .02 good Luck.
NAVYBLUE210 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 PM
  #4  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
JStock1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210 View Post
I would suggest the Mamo MOTORSPORTS (MMS) Sportsman 223 Heads, Starts with a TFS 220 as cast
adds Tony's touches & valve job great value for the money, can still run factory rockers
(bushing upgrade recommended).

Best Heads, the fully CNCd MMS 220s but require Roller rockers per Tony.
I would have Tony spec a Cam Motion Cam for his Heads, better performance
from a smaller cam makes for a more fun driver.
My .02 good Luck.
Thanks I'll look into this guy..
JStock1225 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 PM
  #5  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
JStock1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan View Post
Buy the best heads you can afford. I like to call people that actually do heads for a living.
Prc 5.3 heads may rise your compession more than your willing to go.
Prc ls6 heads would match your ls2 Corvette motor.
me personally if I was in your shows I would look into budget ls3 heads. But that requires an intake change.
I've been trying to find a set of heads used but looks like I'll be buying them new.
JStock1225 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:05 PM
  #6  
TECH Junkie
 
Tuskyz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,504
Default

Go with TFS 220s finished by Brian Tooley. Public Enemy running low low 10s with these heads paired with a btr stage 4 hydraulic roller from btr. Car is also a sbe LS2 Fbody. Remember track results dont lie.... people do.
Tuskyz28 is online now  
Old 01-07-2019, 12:10 AM
  #7  
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Opelika Alabama
Posts: 171
Default

Did anyone actually look at the flow #'s for the Trick Flow fast as cast 220's for the LS2? Why would you need to have anyone "touch them up"? At a .500 lift it's like 297 CFM on the intake. the heads already have bigger valves and 13.5 degree valves and bowl blended to boot! Unless your going full race you can't do any better then these for what $885 per head. everybody else is bragging about their #'s at .650 lift.
cmysix is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27 AM
  #8  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
A.R. Shale Targa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredonia,WI
Posts: 3,734
Default

Originally Posted by cmysix View Post
Did anyone actually look at the flow #'s for the Trick Flow fast as cast 220's for the LS2? Why would you need to have anyone "touch them up"? At a .500 lift it's like 297 CFM on the intake. the heads already have bigger valves and 13.5 degree valves and bowl blended to boot! Unless your going full race you can't do any better then these for what $885 per head. everybody else is bragging about their #'s at .650 lift.
when you see things the way Mamo and Tooley do; you’ll understand how silly this question is.
Youre right they are an excellent value but the correct tweaks here and there are worth about a dozen CFM at nearly all the lift points Takes them from great to killer really
A.R. Shale Targa is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM
  #9  
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coast of San Mateo County Between Pacifica & HMB
Posts: 1,535
Default

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa View Post

when you see things the way Mamo and Tooley do; you’ll understand how silly this question is.
Youre right they are an excellent value but the correct tweaks here and there are worth about a dozen CFM at nearly all the lift points Takes them from great to killer really
Absolutely!
Perfectly Stated
NAVYBLUE210 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:40 PM
  #10  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Chris25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 708
Default

+1 For the Tooley TFS220s cant go wrong for the price and performance.
Chris25 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 PM
  #11  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
JStock1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 44
Default

Just ordered the prc 225's from texas speed. Going to try them with this build as see what kind of numbers ill get. Thanks for the reply's guys.
JStock1225 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 AM
  #12  
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Opelika Alabama
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa View Post

when you see things the way Mamo and Tooley do; you’ll understand how silly this question is.
Youre right they are an excellent value but the correct tweaks here and there are worth about a dozen CFM at nearly all the lift points Takes them from great to killer really
At the risk I'm going to get flamed for daring to differ with a forum god, here goes... the OP really does not state what purpose he's building the car for but lets assume street rod. Then in MHO paying $2000 or so for heads and then another what? $1500 to have them ported again doesn't make sense for this application. The REASON I chose the Trick Flow "fast as cast" 220's for my LS2 is that THEY WERE BUILT ESPECIALLY for AN LS2, I have seen no others that have. Now I'm goofy I want to stay with the cathedral port and these heads from TF are built with that in mind, Now if I needed an ALL OUT head I'd get the TF 225 CNC ported head which does what the other guys do afterwards, IF I was doing another LS2 for the street like this guys car and I didn't want to spend the $ I just did, I'd just put stock LS3 heads on it with a FAST manifold. The reason I didn't do just that was I had already bought a FAST especially made for the cathedral port head, now mind you the air velocity's in a CP head are almost unmatched by any others That's why GM developed them.
cmysix is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 AM
  #13  
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Opelika Alabama
Posts: 171
Default

look at my SIG. what do you think it will pull after I bolt these Trick flows on? guesses?
cmysix is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 PM
  #14  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (27)
 
madmike9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,024
Default

What makes the tooley 220 head better than the mamo 220 ?
madmike9396 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:04 AM
  #15  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Che70velle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dawsonville Ga.
Posts: 2,173
Default

Originally Posted by cmysix View Post
At the risk I'm going to get flamed for daring to differ with a forum god, here goes... the OP really does not state what purpose he's building the car for but lets assume street rod. Then in MHO paying $2000 or so for heads and then another what? $1500 to have them ported again doesn't make sense for this application. The REASON I chose the Trick Flow "fast as cast" 220's for my LS2 is that THEY WERE BUILT ESPECIALLY for AN LS2, I have seen no others that have. Now I'm goofy I want to stay with the cathedral port and these heads from TF are built with that in mind, Now if I needed an ALL OUT head I'd get the TF 225 CNC ported head which does what the other guys do afterwards, IF I was doing another LS2 for the street like this guys car and I didn't want to spend the $ I just did, I'd just put stock LS3 heads on it with a FAST manifold. The reason I didn't do just that was I had already bought a FAST especially made for the cathedral port head, now mind you the air velocity's in a CP head are almost unmatched by any others That's why GM developed them.
I get what your saying, but some guys just want to go faster on the street than others.
Che70velle is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 AM
  #16  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Che70velle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dawsonville Ga.
Posts: 2,173
Default

Originally Posted by madmike9396 View Post
What makes the tooley 220 head better than the mamo 220 ?
In for answers...
Che70velle is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 02:34 AM
  #17  
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Opelika Alabama
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post


I get what your saying, but some guys just want to go faster on the street than others.
That 8 HP at that level ain't gonna make you faster. I love the guys with LS3's that think they got me with 35 more, I've out driven C6 ZO6's
cmysix is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:57 PM
  #18  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Che70velle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dawsonville Ga.
Posts: 2,173
Default

Originally Posted by cmysix View Post
That 8 HP at that level ain't gonna make you faster. I love the guys with LS3's that think they got me with 35 more, I've out driven C6 ZO6's
I was referring to guys spending money for head porting.
You prolly can out DRIVE most C6Z guys. Most can’t drive to save their lives. Can you out RUN one?
Che70velle is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 PM
  #19  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Elmer, New Jersey
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post


In for answers...
I think they are the same casting so I would look at the flow numbers for comparison
Jay Fisher is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 02:23 PM
  #20  
LS1TECH, Trucks, Modmotor Sponsor
iTrader: (1)
 
LivernoisMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 1,200
Default

We just lowered the price on our cnc ported cylinder heads and revised the LS series head for additional flow and performance.

Included Services and Components
  • 5 axis CNC machined
  • Custom CNC valve job
  • Custom ground factory intake valves
  • Custom ground factory exhaust valves
  • Livernois .690 Lift Dual Valve springs, Titanium retainers, Upgraded locks, Upgraded Viton seals

I also attached a link to our website with flow numbers also.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP761101

Give me a call text or e-mail
Sincerely
Scott
Office 313-561-5500 ext 122
Cell 313-213-0273
E-mail [email protected]
__________________
<a href=http://www.livernoismotorsports.com target=_blank><b>Livernois Motorsports</b></a>
Need help? Chat with a Livernois team member now!
Click here to visit Livernois Motorsports on YouTube!
Your GM LS-Series and Ford Mod Motor Engine Specialists! CNC Cylinder Heads, Rotating Assemblies, Short Blocks, Performance Parts, Dyno Services, Fabrication and Machine Shop Services
LivernoisMotorsports is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: