Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

pushrod length right size

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pushrod length right size

Hello there

I got (Rocker Arms, Ultra Gold, Full Roller, 1.72 Ratio item from summit about one month back to use it on my L92 engine and couple of months back I order from Texas speed performance a camshaft set of springs and a pushrod I will list the items down
  • LS3/LSA Stage 3 231/239 115 LSA Supercharged Camshaft
  • 3-Bolt Cam
  • 7.400"
  • .660" Dual Spring Kit
  • Rocker Arms 1.72 Ratio.
  • Manley Intake & Exhaust Valves
  • Ls7 Lifters
  • Ls9 Head Gasket
  • Ls3 CNC Cylinder Head

my question as my mechanic says that the rocker is not fitting is it due to the pushrods length ? What is the right size ? Or missing something?

I need your help please

Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion, the best way to proceed is to buy or borrow a pushrod length checker tool and get a measurement. If the 7.400” rods aren’t fitting, anything else is just a guess without measuring.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Faza3
Hello there

I got (Rocker Arms, Ultra Gold, Full Roller, 1.72 Ratio item from summit about one month back to use it on my L92 engine and couple of months back I order from Texas speed performance a camshaft set of springs and a pushrod I will list the items down
  • LS3/LSA Stage 3 231/239 115 LSA Supercharged Camshaft
  • 3-Bolt Cam
  • 7.400"
  • .660" Dual Spring Kit
  • Rocker Arms 1.72 Ratio.
  • Manley Intake & Exhaust Valves
  • Ls7 Lifters
  • Ls9 Head Gasket
  • Ls3 CNC Cylinder Head

my question as my mechanic says that the rocker is not fitting is it due to the pushrods length ? What is the right size ? Or missing something?

I need your help please

Thanks
With the EOIC method and my Comp Cams adjustable pushrod length checking tool inserted onto the lifter I would bolt the rocker arm down and I usually put the 22ft lbs of torque to the rocker arm.I then start adjusting the tool out until I reach zero lash. Remove rocker arm and carefully remove the tool and measure it with a caliper gauge. I'd do this several more times to make sure I'm coming up with the same reading. Once I was satisfied I have the correct measurement I'd add the recommended preload for the lifter and order my pushrods.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Your rocker arms are fixed to a pedestal. The swipe pattern must also be verified on the valves and shimming may be necessary to reach proper geometry.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
In my opinion, the best way to proceed is to buy or borrow a pushrod length checker tool and get a measurement. If the 7.400” rods aren’t fitting, anything else is just a guess without measuring.
thats what I was thinking of doing.. before that I said I ask the question and see one of you guys if did the same set up and have the correct measurement.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Your rocker arms are fixed to a pedestal. The swipe pattern must also be verified on the valves and shimming may be necessary to reach proper geometry.

I got two different size from different people after I asked them one 7.350 and the other one 7.225 ...

now I’m really confused

Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
With the EOIC method and my Comp Cams adjustable pushrod length checking tool inserted onto the lifter I would bolt the rocker arm down and I usually put the 22ft lbs of torque to the rocker arm.I then start adjusting the tool out until I reach zero lash. Remove rocker arm and carefully remove the tool and measure it with a caliper gauge. I'd do this several more times to make sure I'm coming up with the same reading. Once I was satisfied I have the correct measurement I'd add the recommended preload for the lifter and order my pushrods.
Thanks will do that
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Seeing that your mechanic doesn't have a pushrod length checker or seem to know how to use it, because if he did he would have called you and told you what size you need, HOW? do we now if he's installing the lifters on the base circle for that valve? think it's time for a new mechanic.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cmysix
Seeing that your mechanic doesn't have a pushrod length checker or seem to know how to use it, because if he did he would have called you and told you what size you need, HOW? do we now if he's installing the lifters on the base circle for that valve? think it's time for a new mechanic.
hahaha

the story was, first I got the camshaft kit then I took it to the mechanic to get it fixed. we found out other items required to be changed and one of them it was the rocker arm.

Was my mistake I got the rocker arm without consulting no one then later I found that this rocker is non adjustable, when I bought the kit was 7.400 pushrod included in the kit as a factory stock setup so that’s why I’m in middle of of finding the right size of the pushrod.

Now I will go with all the suggestion that I got from you guys, I will borrow the pushrod length kit and measure it and I’ll let you know what is going to come out.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to measure no matter what as I ended up needing about half at 7.225" and the rest one size longer on a basic 6.0 with milled heads and a mild 226/231 cam. My rocker tip wipe pattern was in the middle so just use an adjustable pushrod to check, use the Katech guide on YouTube and I promise you will be surprised how simply this issue gets resolved.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Teching In

The Katech method doesn't guarantee correct geometry. The rocker arm must have a 90 degree relationship to the valve stem at half the cam lift.
Shimming of the pedestal may be required.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by L78steve
The Katech method doesn't guarantee correct geometry. The rocker arm must have a 90 degree relationship to the valve stem at half the cam lift.
Shimming of the pedestal may be required.
This is where most people/builders screw up. This should be a sticky somewhere with (geometric illustrations) PICTURES. Somewhere OBVIOUS. This has to be the most commonly asked question and a very important one. Especially now with so many different aftermarket head and lifter specs.

Last edited by handyandy496; 01-22-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default Pushrod

I have a 5.3 with stage 3 turbo cam and ls7 lifters with ls9 head gasket with 706 heads and with my push rod checker I came out with needing pushrods the length of 7.435 . Sound right ? Where can I buy pushrods this length ?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cbmaddox33
I have a 5.3 with stage 3 turbo cam and ls7 lifters with ls9 head gasket with 706 heads and with my push rod checker I came out with needing pushrods the length of 7.435 . Sound right ? Where can I buy pushrods this length ?
Smith Brothers pushrods can make custom sizes.