Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help Choosing a Cam for my LSX 454

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 489 Likes on 316 Posts

You can do that actually with power enrichment. Big cam guys sometimes like to idle in open loop and go to closed loop around 1200 or 1600rpm.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spanks13
You can do that actually with power enrichment. Big cam guys sometimes like to idle in open loop and go to closed loop around 1200 or 1600rpm.
I‘ll look into that after the mechanical MAP filter. Kinsler for example sell these for big cam ITB applications so I assume it works. But good to have a backup and an option without additional hardware.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 489 Likes on 316 Posts

Alpha-N is the other tuning method that I’ve seen referenced for ITB’s and setups with poor vacuum signal like dual giant four hole throttle bodies on top of a tunnel ram. Alpha-N mimics pretty closely what mechanical fuel injection does which is just fuel flow vs TPS. There are some more tricks I think with the usual refinements for IAT and ECT and also I think something in there for rate of change of TPS as well.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spanks13
Alpha-N is the other tuning method that I’ve seen referenced for ITB’s and setups with poor vacuum signal like dual giant four hole throttle bodies on top of a tunnel ram. Alpha-N mimics pretty closely what mechanical fuel injection does which is just fuel flow vs TPS. There are some more tricks I think with the usual refinements for IAT and ECT and also I think something in there for rate of change of TPS as well.
I‘ve been wanting to go that route but I want to stay on the E38 PCM with HPTuners. I do not know of an OS which would enable alpha-n, but I’d be thankful for a hint in the right direction. Anyhow, the drivability is much better than with a single throttle body intake manifold. But if you’re already this far along the road, you might as well try to reach perfection .