Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 434 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are the rockers I'm using on this build. They're comp cams bsr shaft rockers. They're really just factory gm rockers with a coating on them and that they share a common shaft. Comp says that these rockers support a cam with .675 lift but I don't see how it's possible when the geometry is the same as stock. I have mixed feelings about this rocker, not sure if I'll keep them or just upgrade the trunions in the stockers.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

The rockers are badass parts. Why would you replace them with stock?

The increased stiffness and stability of the shaft system allows for higher lift. Run .650" lift if you're worried about it. The stiffness means less deflection and more actual lift at the valve tip when running. Also faster opening due to less flex.

This is all data available shared on Billy Godbold's facebook page from spintron testing these things for hundreds of hours.

Also from what I recall they're not GM rockers specifically. I think they're a reproduction/OEM replacement part. Sometime eventually they'll finally release their SPR radius tip rocker and use them on the shaft system as well for high lift applications.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I have my engine assembled and back from my builder. I am running Johnson 2116 limited travel lifters. My builder only checked one cylinder when measuring for the pushrod length. Should I double check on different cylinders to make sure that they are close?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm no engine builder by any means, but I measure every single one, write the measurement on the valve cover rail, order pushrods
when they get here I measure every pushrod, write it on tape, put tape on pushrod then put them in the hole that gives me the best
preload. All the measurements varied some. Probably no need but it lets me sleep good at night.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrenq
Here are the rockers I'm using on this build. They're comp cams bsr shaft rockers. They're really just factory gm rockers with a coating on them and that they share a common shaft. Comp says that these rockers support a cam with .675 lift but I don't see how it's possible when the geometry is the same as stock. I have mixed feelings about this rocker, not sure if I'll keep them or just upgrade the trunions in the stockers.
Why get these when you can get a set of yella terras which are far stronger and can handle more lift?
The price difference isn't a lot either.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
Why get these when you can get a set of yella terras which are far stronger and can handle more lift?
Yella Terras are stronger than steel?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 64post
I thought they were stamped steel.
What is the max open spring pressure those rockers can handle?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I thought they were stamped steel.
What is the max open spring pressure those rockers can handle?
YT are hardened aluminum
Old 06-21-2019, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
YT are hardened aluminum
Correct.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 AM
Launching!

Yella terras don't have the best track record. I'm running a cam with only 630 lift and I wanted rockers that would fit under the valve covers I already had. These are factory GM rockers tied to a single shaft. I wanted something I could set up and not have to worry about later down the road.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slogo
I'm no engine builder by any means, but I measure every single one, write the measurement on the valve cover rail, order pushrods
when they get here I measure every pushrod, write it on tape, put tape on pushrod then put them in the hole that gives me the best
preload. All the measurements varied some. Probably no need but it lets me sleep good at night.
Thanks for the advice, I'm going double check for a piece of mind.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lawrenq
Yella terras don't have the best track record. I'm running a cam with only 630 lift and I wanted rockers that would fit under the valve covers I already had. These are factory GM rockers tied to a single shaft. I wanted something I could set up and not have to worry about later down the road.
There is nothing wrong with Yella Terras.
They have a bad rap because people were using them with too much spring pressure and were blaming the rocker when it was their own fault.
The very early ones from 10 years ago had some issues but they were rectified years ago.
They are strong and are superior to the factory piece you are using. Tony Mamo exclusively uses these too.
Getting the ultra lite pros would suit your setup just find with a max spring pressure of 480lb which is more than enough for most builds.
Then you don't have to worry about lift and these will free up some hp too.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:52 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

On paper, the Yella Terra rockers are inferior in almost every way. They are heavier, they are not as stiff, they are bulkier, and they will fatigue over time. The roller tip on the YT is better for higher valve lift, but that is also a big source of the increase in weight over the nose. You can do .660”+ with the stock rockers, but you have to get the rocker geometry just right.

The BSR system is a very good choice IMO. I know some road race guys that love them paired with Comp’s conical spring kit.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

KCS do you know how much open spring pressure than BSR can handle?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:09 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

KCS do you know how much open spring pressure than BSR can handle?
I’ve set up OEM rockers with 470lbs so I would think if the BSR rockers are OEM, they could handle the same.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 64post
No they are not
Old 06-22-2019, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Wasn’t thinking they were...
Old 06-22-2019, 07:40 PM

Yeah I know...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Guys,

Yella Terra rockers were designed to do a very specific job....they are purpose built rockers that offer a lightweight solution that improves upon the OEM geometry issues and offer a roller rocker that doesnt sideload your guides and valve stems which obviously accelerates wear and significantly shortens the service life of your heads. PM guides only buy you a little more time....they experience the same "scrubbing" and sideloading issues and wear out just the same.

They were also specifically designed for an HR valvetrain so weight is very critical.....these are not meant for 500 plus pounds of open pressure but that is never required if your running optimal weight components and cam lobes that have the correct profiles.

The "problems" they had are ancient history as anyone that spends 10 mins Googling will quickly find out (probably reading something I wrote about this 3-4 times previously). They had some failures with their original V1 design back in like 2004 (literally 15 years ago)......and it was still a very small percentage but none the less there were some failures so they beefed up the rocker body design and launched the V2 version which improved things a great deal.....years later a few of the V2's had issues (likely due to other things with the engine combo or valvetrain not being optimized) but that prompted another revision which is the V3 version launched around 2012.....those are still running today and have been the most reliable by far. Anyone that has been around this hobby knows that anything can break but the these V3 rockers have been extremely reliable.

If your running an LS hyd roller motor these are the right tool for the job.....period.

I run these on ALL my builds....HR cathedral motors, HR LS3 engines, and my HR LS7 engines....the price and performance cant be beat and I have hundreds (perhaps thousands) of sets of these out in the field....not to mention installed on my own hotrods.

You guys know most Mamo Motorsports combinations make better than average power....the builds handled by detail oriented customers alot better than average and quite a few setting records on various independent dyno's. You would note just about every one of these cars are running these rocker arms and they are certainly a noteworthy part of the success that my builds achieve. If there was a better rocker arm to run I would be running them.....and I certainly wouldn't support or use them if they were breaking all the time. They had teething pains very early on....learned from those issues and improved their product.

Set up properly (in the correct application) they are extremely capable and very dependable.,....pretty much like most other high performance aftermarket parts.

Hope this helps....OP or anyone else looking for more info on them.....feel free to email, PM or call. In addition to certain sets they make specific to a few of my heads I stock just about everything LS related in their product line as I use and sell all of it.

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-23-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Guys,

Yella Terra rockers were designed to do a very specific job....they are purpose built rockers that offer a lightweight solution that improves upon the OEM geometry issues and offer a roller rocker that doesnt sideload your guides and valve stems which obviously accelerates wear and significantly shortens the service life of your heads. PM guides only buy you a little more time....they experience the same "scrubbing" and sideloading issues and wear out just the same.

They were also specifically designed for an HR valvetrain so weight is very critical.....these are not meant for 500 plus pounds of open pressure but that is never required if your running optimal weight components and cam lobes that have the correct profiles.

The "problems" they had are ancient history as anyone that spends 10 mins Googling will quickly find out (probably reading something I wrote about this 3-4 times previously). They had some failures with their original V1 design back in like 2004 (literally 15 years ago)......and it was still a very small percentage but none the less there were some failures so they beefed up the rocker body design and launched the V2 version which improved things a great deal.....years later a few of the V2's had issues (likely due to other things with the engine combo or valvetrain not being optimized) but that prompted another revision which is the V3 version launched around 2012.....those are still running today and have been the most reliable by far. Anyone that has been around this hobby knows that anything can break but the these V3 rockers have been extremely reliable.

If your running an LS hyd roller motor these are the right tool for the job.....period.

I run these on ALL my builds....HR cathedral motors, HR LS3 engines, and my HR LS7 engines....the price and performance cant be beat and I have hundreds (perhaps thousands) of sets of these out in the field....not to mention installed on my own hotrods.

You guys know most Mamo Motorsports combinations make better than average power....the builds handled by detail oriented customers alot better than average and quite a few setting records on various independent dyno's. You would note just about every one of these cars are running these rocker arms and they are certainly a noteworthy part of the success that my builds achieve. If there was a better rocker arm to run I would be running them.....and I certainly wouldn't support or use them if they were breaking all the time. They had teething pains very early on....learned from those issues and improved their product.

Set up properly (in the correct application) they are extremely capable and very dependable.,....pretty much like most other high performance aftermarket parts.

Hope this helps....OP or anyone else looking for more info on them.....feel free to email, PM or call. In addition to certain sets they make specific to a few of my heads I stock just about everything LS related in their product line as I use and sell all of it.

-Tony
This is similar to what I have been saying all along.
These are a great rocker and fix a lot of the issues with GM style units.
In Australia this is all we use mostly and failures are extremely rare.
Tony, you use the ultra lite pro's correct?
These are rated to 480lb of open pressure.
I am using the pro street which have a max rating of 600lb of open pressure but my springs produce 510lb of open pressure so I am within spec.
They also have another platinum rocker that can withstand 900lb of open pressure so there is something for most builds.
So stop all the hating of these rockers and embrace what Tony has said.

Quick Reply: LS3 434 build