Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cylinder Heads - What Matters Most?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 556 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ZNix
Very interesting results, and a big improvement for that person. Nice!

My question is; Would an aftermarket square port head have done as well, better, or worse? In your opinion.
My opinion is that the LS3 aftermarket heads are a joke. The main advantage is the deck thickness to accommodate for nitrous and boost. After someone like Frankenstein port the factory LS3 heads they are neck to neck with a aftermarket LS3 head. Notice the guys on here such as Hammer and Navy that have had SUCCESS out the aftermarket LS3 heads are running are a high dollar low lash solid roller setup. Its some hidden power and costs that comes along going that route. Them guys have some kickass motors but they not running a SIMPLE hydraulic roller.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 462 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Yes it was on a 113 LSA.

He went through 2 other cams before he ran a Pat G cam with the LS3 heads. I know one cam was from LG Motorsports and he wasnt happy with it. The car was stuck in the low 11 range. Pat G cam was the only one that propel his WS6 in the 10s using the LS3 heads. That tells me that they are very PICKY on the cam.
That's the exact cam he specified me a 242/250 113 LSA +4
I didn't go with this suggestion although I know it would perform good down low and in the mid range and be better up top compared to my previous cam.
The reasons are because it would fall off too soon after peak.
With the overlap being 20 degrees and IVO 12 and EVC 8 being intake biased the focus of this grind is for good driveability.
This is what was meant to be an upgrade from my old 236/244 114 LSA.
It's certainly a good grind, however for what I am wanting which is power after peak and a 7000rpm rev limit it won't hang on as well up there.
This is why I suspect the 60 ft times were really good because that spec would be a screamer in the low and mid range.
If that camshaft had more exhaust duration I believe it would have pulled a faster time down the track
That cathedral spec he specified was perfect though.
At the same EVO the cathedral head would perform better due to efficiency which is why you need an earlier EVO for the LS3 head.
My newer cam is a better match for my compression and rpm range I am wanting.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

My opinion is that the LS3 aftermarket heads are a joke. The main advantage is the deck thickness to accommodate for nitrous and boost. After someone like Frankenstein port the factory LS3 heads they are neck to neck with a aftermarket LS3 head. Notice the guys on here such as Hammer and Navy that have had SUCCESS out the aftermarket LS3 heads are running are a high dollar low lash solid roller setup. Its some hidden power and costs that comes along going that route. Them guys have some kickass motors but they not running a SIMPLE hydraulic roller.
I wouldn't touch them either.
I would rather go for small bore LS7 heads.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 556 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
That's the exact cam he specified me a 242/250 113 LSA +4
I didn't go with this suggestion although I know it would perform good down low and in the mid range and be better up top compared to my previous cam.
The reasons are because it would fall off too soon after peak.
With the overlap being 20 degrees and IVO 12 and EVC 8 being intake biased the focus of this grind is for good driveability.
This is what was meant to be an upgrade from my old 236/244 114 LSA.
It's certainly a good grind, however for what I am wanting which is power after peak and a 7000rpm rev limit it won't hang on as well up there.
This is why I suspect the 60 ft times were really good because that spec would be a screamer in the low and mid range.
If that camshaft had more exhaust duration I believe it would have pulled a faster time down the track
That cathedral spec he specified was perfect though.
At the same EVO the cathedral head would perform better due to efficiency which is why you need an earlier EVO for the LS3 head.
My newer cam is a better match for my compression and rpm range I am wanting.
Gotcha
Old 06-08-2019, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Gotcha
Haha. I was expecting something else.
I will admit though, you do make some good points.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

Im pretty sure none of the ported stock castings could make the sbe records youre seeing from TSP or GPI. Tsp did it hyd roller too. Gpi been solid for the whole thing. That shows exactly how far they can be taken. I know some of the actual power numbers and they blow most of the guys out of the water. I cant publish them but seriously no stock ported casting would last.
And again the PRC were straight off the shelf. No months of waiting or special mojo needed. Serious affordable power.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Im pretty sure none of the ported stock castings could make the sbe records youre seeing from TSP or GPI. Tsp did it hyd roller too. Gpi been solid for the whole thing. That shows exactly how far they can be taken. I know some of the actual power numbers and they blow most of the guys out of the water. I cant publish them but seriously no stock ported casting would last.
And again the PRC were straight off the shelf. No months of waiting or special mojo needed. Serious affordable power.
I respect proprietary knowledge and all that, but "can't publish them" statements, and the secret squirrel cam spec crowd is a bunch of BS, to me, personally.

Competitive advantage be damned, be a better driver. Advertise your every secret, help everyone learn, and pray your competition has used everything you did, so you can best them on the track as truly the best racer, not the best secret engine tricks.

Let it come down to who drives best, and let the community learn how to build fast as a whole.

Bunch of petty bitches, in my opinion, when it comes to that secret squirrel nonsense...
Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,068 Likes on 2,388 Posts

David, I like the way you think!!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brodix heads were the heads of choice for my good friend who raced Texas Pro Stock (2006, 2007) made 1150 rwhp NA...but either in a 540 ci or a 632 ci.. sorry I ever left H-Town. Fast forward to today - his street car is a pro-charged 540 ci 1958 Malibu making 1600 rwhp (mild boost) .. stupid numbers and now races a newer pro-mod SS..even more stupid numbers.. Believe he still uses Brodix...
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

The ported stock castings are an excellent choice especially the square ports.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Be a better driver? Thats the bs part if we are being honest. Youd be VERY hard pressed to find better drivers period. At that point the power and car are the issue.

If you were on the other side of it youd understand.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Be a better driver? Thats the bs part if we are being honest. Youd be VERY hard pressed to find better drivers period. At that point the power and car are the issue.

If you were on the other side of it youd understand.
Do you have workshop or do you only sell parts?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Regarding cams I think the most important thing is to make sure you install the lifter with the roller side down so it touches the cam lobe. And make sure the roller points the right way too.

Especially make sure the cam gear bolt holes face the front of the engine.

All kidding aside. There is some voodoo out there, but basic principles trump all.

Last edited by Darth_V8r; 06-10-2019 at 06:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stroked-Z (08-25-2022)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Is it true that Ed Curtis has some of the best records in the country with customers using his camshafts?
He claims he had the first ever proper performing camshaft for a square port ls3 head.
He said when a customer of his purchased it they thought the specs were unusual and he went ahead and pulled a time so quick it set a record.
What do you guys think Ed would have meant by the camshaft specs being unusual and then everyone being surprised how well the engine performed?
Old 06-10-2019, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We install, tune, dyno tune, warehouse and sell parts. I also do some things on the side as well like assemble engines, design new parts and kits and test them out etc as well.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

At a previous shop i workrled at, we had a local guy come to the dyno 5 times on an 05 gto with ls3 top end. Purchased 3 different ed curtis cams. They were each supposed to be bigger and badder. Then ed made him spend tons more money than necessary and he measured pushrods to the .001 and got 2 different trunion upgrades etc. Still didnt make anywhere near what was promised or expected. He went back to that well 3 times. 3. We offered to help spec him a cam but he wasnt having it. I think at the time ed was using comp but may have switched to lunati i forget. Dude did all the work himself we only tuned it. It was a very poor showing each time and i felt bad for him because he put all this time money and effort and parts into a car he was never satisfied with. of course when things go wrong like that its always the tuners fault.

No one tells the stories like that i guess. I know we all have them but that proved quite a bit to me then. Iirc 2 of the cams were very similar to others one being the spinmonster cam the vette guys loved that wasnt even supposed to make power for rect ports, that was the first one he had and the last one had a HUGE intake lift like nearly .650 reminiscent of the older futral high lift cams or the torquer v3 i think?

The heads were stock gm ls and the intake was stock gm ls3. We did a few other ls3 top end combos that people brought in with other cams and they made more and were more impressive.

Even ls3 heads couldn't make that combo shine.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I tend to prefer working with the guy who did the heads on the cam spec. Heads and cam are like PB&J. They go together right or not at all.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

...TSP used a ported intake by FED....ls3 heads had to go for Ls7's better P to V clearance & more Compression and a solid roller was used...Hell ER made 800+ with a basic as 376 and factory ported heads....these guy's start the record BS to sell parts....they Ain't doing nothing new under the sun...how do i know? Any ? I have i go straight 2 the source.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=1250106
Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 PM
Banned

I can make basically the same hp with either head ls3 or ls7...one just has a better tq curve = shift recovery as it's smaller and a better design, also P2V clearance and valve drop....nothing a higher gear can't Fix for a ls3.
If my ls7's made 740 the ls3 would make 720ish with around a 30 ft tq loss example..... The ls3 head test gave it away the diff in 15.& 12 degree heads. Add in the higher runner placement for a better line of air & fuel.......for the 7's.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:55 PM
Banned

It really doesn't matter no way what heads you get if you buy trash 4 a intake. 378 cfm heads and a 360cfm intake...U think i spent 3k+ on heads to buy a 1k intake get it ported + $500 and it still can't supply what's needed.

The **** is really simple...if you can get more air & fuel in....with the basics
CID x Rpm x MCSA add compression (your happy with)...it will be there! Don't expect a big harvest if you didn't plant good seeds...

Quick Reply: Cylinder Heads - What Matters Most?