Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cylinder Heads - What Matters Most?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Well, i ll post up some pics in my thread as not to clutter up this one. Gimmie alil bit n i ll bust out the reciept binder. I briefly looked at everything as i was 3hole punching it n organizing it
Start a new thread.
I will look out for it
Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Kinda tired..so let's get 2 the point....i no of 2 guys who bought TFS 260 heads....both took'en to each own porter, the advertised cfm numbers were close. Now heres the kick to the gut: Each got over 400 cfm with SSR and Bowl work with a VJ. There are many great porters
Greg G, name Anybody better?
Darin, ^ same statement
D. Wheat, dude just makes hp
Slick Rick, made Chris U a custom Mozez head from mast as cast 1000+ na (Everbody Knows Rick makes Hp)
Chad Speier, EMC guy uses childhood friend Darin's cnc program for ls3 & 7 heads
BES, known 4 winning (pass on the BS dimple port, Chris U said don't None of Tony's personal race engines have this, so Y would i if so great)...
Joe Ewing friend Kerry from Proline referred him seen some FB stuff and dude don't play
Scott @ CFE......all top of the Food chain as far as making Hp.

I can show you a build and if common sense is used we can kill the BS. Now this is with Factory ls3 heads!
Now add or change the same build to have 12.45 compression and a MSD or Fast intake. How would it compare to.....590 ft lbs grows with a aftermarket factory style intake...don't forget even more with compression again bore is under .080.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Best casting Bang 4 the buck is Brodix big spring heads ported or as cast for porting..SDPC heads were within 8 hp of Mast with factory ls7 heads vs All comers and some aftermarket castings....TSP had 2 chances still didn't out do SPDC and factory ported Ls7's. Brodix made 799 different test & mag article but that's the same engine 1 company owns HR mag, car craft etc..... Mast is a purposely designed head that Cary made and Horace Mast bought out...all heads are a updated version of his original ET heads ...hence small bore ET 250 cc Ls7 heads now 265cc mast ls7 heads. The 285 heads use to be listed as 275's. You can't find old ET #"s....BTW i have all Cary's old ET #"s....printed out from 08 or 09...

If you want more hp than the avg guy...raised runners, hence the YB thread i did: 6.3 length Hollow stem valves = Mast STR8 as cast from the Michigan plant. 1 runner size don't fit all(digitalize my Rowdy heads ....make another 1 with raised runners) and i'll go out on a limb the port for the smaller bore str8 head is over 3.1 mcsa. Look @ the port face size i listed.
That info Came Directly from Venom Racing who built the 800hp 376 Bonneville engine.

Chris came saw and out did most to all..he made his Own Ls head, not a reworked head
FED 10 degree heads have all the perks! Yet no small bore ls7 heads...i know all style 10 deg FED heads have raised runners...but a Ls7 intake don't fit a ls3..wink,wink. Ls7 is higher no matter what...i could ask Chris but at 4k i can make my own, with a even higher runner and better valve placement. i'm sure Chris can customize any of the 10 degree heads...$ talk.
The Coleman Camaro? Spoken to him and gave me references to all involved and general knowledge, again Roddy & uncle Jim were competitors back in the day...

Last edited by Smokey B; 06-12-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 AM
Banned

I like to use guys Who win races....what ever they say goes, i may ask a ? But i ask or pay for 1st on race day information and the guys who r doing the winning. Not some BS meaningless i set a record with a stock ls3 short block. Who cares? If it or the person were so good and that fast (even with a bigger or a better engine build) you would race all not just a ls or ls record...kicking *** has no respect for a brand name or name used.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 240 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey B
...TSP used a ported intake by FED....ls3 heads had to go for Ls7's better P to V clearance & more Compression and a solid roller was used...Hell ER made 800+ with a basic as 376 and factory ported heads....these guy's start the record BS to sell parts....they Ain't doing nothing new under the sun...how do i know? Any ? I have i go straight 2 the source.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=1250106
Tsp used an out of the box fast102 to begin with. Then a reg hiram then they had the ls7 hi ram ported. Big difference there. They set records with each of them.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 240 Likes on 185 Posts

You mean they break records to sell parts? I mean, did you REALLY say that. Cmon man. They broke records WITH their parts and its the perfect marketing tool. Guess why everyone posts their dyno graphs including this E R Perf.
Its only bs because you cant see something and tear it apart piece by piece. Fastest na is still fastest na. Cant race dynos.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Kinda tired..so let's get 2 the point....i no of 2 guys who bought TFS 260 heads....both took'en to each own porter, the advertised cfm numbers were close. Now heres the kick to the gut: Each got over 400 cfm with SSR and Bowl work with a VJ. There are many great porters
Greg G, name Anybody better?
Darin, ^ same statement
D. Wheat, dude just makes hp
Slick Rick, made Chris U a custom Mozez head from mast as cast 1000+ na (Everbody Knows Rick makes Hp)
Chad Speier, EMC guy uses childhood friend Darin's cnc program for ls3 & 7 heads
BES, known 4 winning (pass on the BS dimple port, Chris U said don't None of Tony's personal race engines have this, so Y would i if so great)...
Joe Ewing friend Kerry from Proline referred him seen some FB stuff and dude don't play
Scott @ CFE......all top of the Food chain as far as making Hp.

I can show you a build and if common sense is used we can kill the BS. Now this is with Factory ls3 heads!
Now add or change the same build to have 12.45 compression and a MSD or Fast intake. How would it compare to.....590 ft lbs grows with a aftermarket factory style intake...don't forget even more with compression again bore is under .080.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Best casting Bang 4 the buck is Brodix big spring heads ported or as cast for porting..SDPC heads were within 8 hp of Mast with factory ls7 heads vs All comers and some aftermarket castings....TSP had 2 chances still didn't out do SPDC and factory ported Ls7's. Brodix made 799 different test & mag article but that's the same engine 1 company owns HR mag, car craft etc..... Mast is a purposely designed head that Cary made and Horace Mast bought out...all heads are a updated version of his original ET heads ...hence small bore ET 250 cc Ls7 heads now 265cc mast ls7 heads. The 285 heads use to be listed as 275's. You can't find old ET #"s....BTW i have all Cary's old ET #"s....printed out from 08 or 09...

If you want more hp than the avg guy...raised runners, hence the YB thread i did: 6.3 length Hollow stem valves = Mast STR8 as cast from the Michigan plant. 1 runner size don't fit all(digitalize my Rowdy heads ....make another 1 with raised runners) and i'll go out on a limb the port for the smaller bore str8 head is over 3.1 mcsa. Look @ the port face size i listed.
That info Came Directly from Venom Racing who built the 800hp 376 Bonneville engine.

Chris came saw and out did most to all..he made his Own Ls head, not a reworked head
FED 10 degree heads have all the perks! Yet no small bore ls7 heads...i know all style 10 deg FED heads have raised runners...but a Ls7 intake don't fit a ls3..wink,wink. Ls7 is higher no matter what...i could ask Chris but at 4k i can make my own, with a even higher runner and better valve placement. i'm sure Chris can customize any of the 10 degree heads...$ talk.
The Coleman Camaro? Spoken to him and gave me references to all involved and general knowledge, again Roddy & uncle Jim were competitors back in the day...
Damn Smokey, I wish you made this much sense the majority of the time you post! Good stuff!
I am super impressed with those Factory LS3 heads with a solid roller.
When worked right, they work so well. 740hp with a very flat torque curve that hangs on close to 7000rpm is great.
Makes me want to try the fast high rpm runners!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 747 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
I have all specs on my build if theres anything needed, just curious. If theres an apples to apples comparison so to speak. Would there have to be other differences in the build? More aggressive cam, or tuning, etc?
Originally Posted by bortous
Where are all the specs of your build?
I want to see.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...3#post20108583
Old 06-12-2019, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

Good specs!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Banned

Think about Flying and the 13 to 1 800+ Chris Frank stg1 Factory ls3 heads. Damn I had those and posted about these Way before Anyone....oh my fault that was Lil John. Me asking 750 and 13.1 and a 408 is child's play.

WS6 let me know when the group your speaking of raced and beats some of the names listed. The fastest ls cars damn show don't come from that group nor do they specialize in porting heads.... one port don't fit all. Hell factory ported SPDC heads out did their best stuff. Also when did TSP heads become a go to name In the Big picture of the race world. I'm not lstech limited.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Banned

Hell I know and like Jason and TSP. But my $ knows a lot more about who and where to buy heads from .
Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 AM
Banned

To RK1 no time trying to spell it all out or do it correctly ..
BS fast and short runners can't hold a match to a carb style intake or the hi ram. 20 intake test showed who's making HP ..
Damn show isn't the FAST. Low profile?

Holley sniper or FI Tech ftw!

Last edited by Smokey B; 06-12-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

BS fast and short runners can't hold a match to a carb style intake or the hi ram. 20 intake test showed who's making HP ..

What are you asking me or saying? Fast as in FAST intakes? Im not running anything like that. Its a long runner crossram design. Twin throttle body set up. I posted specs of my engine with nothing to prove or show off, im just curious as to more about what i have as some of you guys injest the info. Im a hobbyist and no expert. But i like working with my builder n defly trust in what he says. Not that its gospel, but im assuming theres tons of different build ideas. Diff strokes for diff folks. Last couple months, theres been a ton of tech info on ls1. Minus the drunken banter, i been soakn it all up n trying to learn. My motor was commissioned to be built july 2018. These last few threads have really got the gears in my head turning now. Im just trying to learn. My car is not a competition build. Just a bad *** street car!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Fast runners are better all round smoke.
Stop talking rubbish.
Other intakes are better after 7000rpm
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Well, we are shootn for north of 700fwhp with my choice of intake. Yes, cam is conservative, etc. But most of the similiar build i saw like mine seem to make between 685-700. Again, pumpgas 427ci builds that i was looking into. Every builder seems to offer said turnkey package. Thats what i was looking for originaly. Throwing my intake on was a bonus to the plan. It looks killer in my car, its already makn me smile
Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

700 hp does not make very much traction. Likely traction will be your biggest complaint. Ask how I know...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Good, i want that problem, lol..

I remember when we built my last street car, 700rwhp ford lightning. I heard all the same stuff. In the end, it still wasnt fast enough. Barely was even scary anymore after a summer of beating on it. lol. Ran low 10s in full street trim, heat, ac, stereo, etc. Meh, wasnt scared for my life like i was led to believe. Fun as hell rolling burnouts everywhere tho.

I was talked outta the gt500 4v swap i really wanted to do in my lightning. Because this build was gunna be so nasty on the street, " i was gunna poop my lil pants!" Lol, what a joke that was.

Last edited by rkupon1; 06-12-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll throw my .02 in...My decision was around not doing something twice or wishing i did it differently so i saved until i could pull the strings. I went with Brodix BR7's from WCCH..because i knew others had success with a LSX 454.
Bullet cam 246/258 .639" 113
Mast Intake (very challenging to fit but got it)
pump gas 91 octane 28 degrees at WOT
11.5:1 CR
744hp @ 6900rpm / 644Tq max at the flywheel
only issue on the test stand - we only had 1-3/4" headers so i left some on the table.
very streetable and never looked back - does cause a traction issue on the track.

spend the money on the heads and do your homework
Cylinder Heads - What Matters Most?-czivoa6.jpg
Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
700 hp does not make very much traction. Likely traction will be your biggest complaint. Ask how I know...
Got any vids of it ripping on the streets by chance???
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

LSX67RS...nice set up, id be thrilled with that kinda power. Thats an iron block 454 you went with? More details about your ride please
Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 544 Likes on 389 Posts

A co worker of mine just went 7.15 in the 1/8 mile. 416ci stroker
86 Monte carlo SS
Victor Jr with carb
4L80E with stall
TFS LS3 255 heads
Custom cam
Its s gull interior G body
Car will be faster once the suspension is dialed in

Quick Reply: Cylinder Heads - What Matters Most?