Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

500mi oil filter inspection ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019 | 05:37 PM
TECH Regular
5 Year Member

Default 500mi oil filter inspection ?'s

Obviously a new motor will have some flakes and such trapped in the pleats, but what would be considered excessive? I just changed my oil and inspected the filter, and it seems like quite a bit to me.
Old 05-27-2019 | 05:45 PM
TECH Regular
5 Year Member

Old 05-27-2019 | 06:26 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

That doesn’t look good. Have you pulled a magnet out to see what’s what? How was your oil pressure? How did you cut that filter apart? It’s mangled...
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (02-10-2021)
Old 05-27-2019 | 07:35 PM
TECH Regular
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Che70velle
That doesn’t look good. Have you pulled a magnet out to see what’s what? How was your oil pressure? How did you cut that filter apart? It’s mangled...
Magnet not really picking up anything. Pressure was 20psi hot idle (212 oil temp), 45-50 cruise.

Filter was cut cut open with tin snips
Old 05-27-2019 | 07:59 PM
Teching In

I’ve gone ab 1000 miles since my build graphite’s still coming out in oil was told could be can wearing in still or too much preload on lifters causing excessive wear
Old 05-28-2019 | 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Yikes! That looks pretty ugly. There's some good sized chunks in there, too.

You're right to be concerned.
Old 05-28-2019 | 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

That engine needs to be taken apart, asap. I've had much less metal in my oil, and it was still a bad bearing(s) and an unhappy crank....
Old 02-10-2021 | 06:38 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Was the pressure different before the holley ECU? Maybe the holley is reading low.
Old 02-10-2021 | 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

How many changes has it had so far? Is this the first, second or even third? If it's first, it's passable, barely. Second change, pull the motor. That's a lot for a second. Oil pressure seems low at idle. What oil are you using?
Old 02-11-2021 | 10:35 AM
8 Second Club
10 Year Member

Post is two years old. I bet he figured it out by now
G Atsma (02-11-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 08:59 AM
TECH Regular
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Post is two years old. I bet he figured it out by now
Yeah engine was pretty much done. couldn't get the rebuilder to give me a spec they set it at... hemmed and hawed about till telling me best he could remember was two and a half to 3. "ok 2.5-3 what? thou? hundreds?..."

that and after taking a profilometer to the cylinders and the ra was all over the place and way out of spec, I decided that car/engine was a sinking ship and bailed. Shop I was using at the time called like 3mo later... "Hey were using a different machine shop now, If you want we can redo your engine for a 3rd time for $$$ again" "sorry that's not warranty in our opinion"
Old 08-31-2021 | 09:43 AM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bthomas
Yeah engine was pretty much done. couldn't get the rebuilder to give me a spec they set it at... hemmed and hawed about till telling me best he could remember was two and a half to 3. "ok 2.5-3 what? thou? hundreds?..."

that and after taking a profilometer to the cylinders and the ra was all over the place and way out of spec, I decided that car/engine was a sinking ship and bailed. Shop I was using at the time called like 3mo later... "Hey were using a different machine shop now, If you want we can redo your engine for a 3rd time for $$$ again" "sorry that's not warranty in our opinion"
Another shady shop shows up on forums. Makes me sick. I’m a huge proponent for rebuilding engines. I see the “buy a junkyard engine and save some headache and money” posts all the time. These posts are sad to me because there are local family owned machine shops that close the doors all the time, because guys are going to the yard for a $300 5.3, vs going to the shop and spending $1k to $2k to get their engine back on the road. But at the same time, guys are getting bent over by shops for the last 10-15 years, because of shoddy work. So I see both sides. Good shops are out there, but usually cost more and are ran by 50+ year old folks who have been there a while and have yesterday’s values at heart. As with any purchase, do your homework and read the reviews. Don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions and ask them for references also, if reviews aren’t available.
And then there are shops like you used that don’t machine in house and farm out the work. That’s a crap shoot if they are in the middle of a machine shop change for a variety of reasons. Bottom line here is, if you find a good shop stick with them. Form a good working relationship with the head machinist(s) and if they leave, call them and ask why. If the shop closes, follow the good machinists to their next shop and ask them how they like it over there.
Often times guys will post up here on Tech and ask about a reputable shop in their area, just to see who knows what…
Appreciate you updating the thread by the way!
Old Buzzard (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

I LOVE to rebuild motors too, myself.

Which is AHELLUVALOT DIFFERENT from advising someone else to do the same.

A hobbyist needs to PARTICIPATE in the hobby HIMSELF. (or herself, as the case may be; should I say itself?) Pretending to have a "hobby" (fast cars) where you PAY SOMEBODY ELSE (shop) to participate FOR YOU, is worthless.

Most of the posts on here about "rebuild motor" are from people who have never rebuilt one at all, or whose experience is LONG obsolete. I well recall the 283s and 327s that would come my way in my early days in this hobby; they'd have a .030" ridge at the top of the rings after 100k miles which was about all a motor was good for back then. Cork gaskets would take it down if nothing else. We'd call blocks like that "Powerglided" because we thought that's what it was. Turns out all these years later, it wasn't the Powerglide at all; it was THE CARBURETOR. The 2G was the worst of the familiar ones but many others were just about as bad. Just the other day I saw a 67 Malibu desert field find; the PERFECT grandpa car; 60 some k miles if memory serves, 4-door, Turbo-Thrift 250 6-cyl, 3-on-the-tree with overdrive, no power anything, no AC, no nothing, just ... yerbasic ... CAR. He had rebuilt the carb, and I trust that he's knowledgeable about such things; it still had a sooty idle. I bet if it stays like that, it'll blue-smoke like a freight train by 100k, for "rings" we would all say, but actually bore wear.

Be all that as it may, short blocks don't wear out the way they used to, if people merely change the oil anywhere near regularly, and if they don't develop the Castech head casting problem. There's no reason NOT to just plop another junker in, instead of futzing with "rebuild", if the intended end product is within reasonable sight of "stock" (let's say, no forced induction, street driven exclusively except maybe a weekend or 2 a year at the strip); nothing "rebuild" can do is going to make it any better or more reliable than stock. For that matter, even if it's been Casteched, a turned crank and set of bearings will nearly always bring it back to life. And a set of heads too of course.

It's all about SUITABILITY FOR PURPOSE, and wise use of money, and avoiding risk. For a great majority of the people that start out asking about rebuilds, a junkyard short block truly IS the best way to go. This post is the perfect example of WHY that's true.
Old 08-31-2021 | 06:16 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by RB04Av
I LOVE to rebuild motors too, myself.

Which is AHELLUVALOT DIFFERENT from advising someone else to do the same.

A hobbyist needs to PARTICIPATE in the hobby HIMSELF. (or herself, as the case may be; should I say itself?) Pretending to have a "hobby" (fast cars) where you PAY SOMEBODY ELSE (shop) to participate FOR YOU, is worthless.

Most of the posts on here about "rebuild motor" are from people who have never rebuilt one at all, or whose experience is LONG obsolete. I well recall the 283s and 327s that would come my way in my early days in this hobby; they'd have a .030" ridge at the top of the rings after 100k miles which was about all a motor was good for back then. Cork gaskets would take it down if nothing else. We'd call blocks like that "Powerglided" because we thought that's what it was. Turns out all these years later, it wasn't the Powerglide at all; it was THE CARBURETOR. The 2G was the worst of the familiar ones but many others were just about as bad. Just the other day I saw a 67 Malibu desert field find; the PERFECT grandpa car; 60 some k miles if memory serves, 4-door, Turbo-Thrift 250 6-cyl, 3-on-the-tree with overdrive, no power anything, no AC, no nothing, just ... yerbasic ... CAR. He had rebuilt the carb, and I trust that he's knowledgeable about such things; it still had a sooty idle. I bet if it stays like that, it'll blue-smoke like a freight train by 100k, for "rings" we would all say, but actually bore wear.

Be all that as it may, short blocks don't wear out the way they used to, if people merely change the oil anywhere near regularly, and if they don't develop the Castech head casting problem. There's no reason NOT to just plop another junker in, instead of futzing with "rebuild", if the intended end product is within reasonable sight of "stock" (let's say, no forced induction, street driven exclusively except maybe a weekend or 2 a year at the strip); nothing "rebuild" can do is going to make it any better or more reliable than stock. For that matter, even if it's been Casteched, a turned crank and set of bearings will nearly always bring it back to life. And a set of heads too of course.

It's all about SUITABILITY FOR PURPOSE, and wise use of money, and avoiding risk. For a great majority of the people that start out asking about rebuilds, a junkyard short block truly IS the best way to go. This post is the perfect example of WHY that's true.
Man I remember my first rebuild. I didn’t know jack! And you didn’t either. So why try and talk guys/gals out of starting somewhere? Just doesn’t make sense to come onto a Tech forum….where we discuss issues about rebuilding engines…and tell folks to not do it. Unless you own a yard or deal in used engines?
G Atsma (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

It's 2021. The economics and lots of other things about a "rebuild" are VERY DIFFERENT from when you or I did our first "rebuilds".

And yes, you're right: when I think back on my first engine rebuild, I cringe. I did just about everything wrong that could be done wrong. I don't even want to go back and list all the STOOOOOPID crap I did to that old thing. However, that 283 with cast pistons and double-hump heads and the old "30-30" solid cam and a Muncie 4-speed and 3.73 gears, WHUPPED UP ON no telling how many cars. That thing would burn the tires on a clutch dump in 1st gear at 60 mph. Back in the 70s, when I was a DJ on a college kind of bring-your-own-record radio station on the Saturday midnight to Sunday 2AM shift (because I was the engineer that kept it on the air and could therefore pick whatever shift I wanted), and played the acidest acid rock I could get my hands on, and wore my hair down past my belt and my beard to my belly button. Great times.

Butt, it's 2021 now. Gotta move on and adapt to conditions on the ground as they are now, not be nostalgic for how they were back then, or try to give ADVICE (a very different thing from what you or I would do ourselves) to someone with that sinking feeling in the pit of their stomach as they look at CHUNKS in their oil filter they just pulled off of their freshly "rebuilt" motor. What I'd do, and what I'd tell somebody else to do based on their circumstances, aren't always the same thing.

The FACT remains, for somebody that just wants their car to work, a junkyard short block is a FAR more economical approach, in 2021. People that want to take the risk of what's in those photos up there, and want to develop their BUILDING skills, that's a totally different matter. I'm not getting that feeling from the OP. All the subtext written in all the white space all around what he typed tells me, he just wants his car to work, not to become an engine builder. 2 VERY DIFFERENT things.
Old 09-01-2021 | 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

For a guys with little to no experience,, another option is buy like a ATK reman and just do a cam swap. minimizes time and $$ they have some fair deals through some of the regular hot car suppliers. Then buy basic tools and take their time and rebuild the broken motor for practice, now they have a fairly safe start..

Quick Reply: 500mi oil filter inspection ?'s