Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Intermittent rough running from a mechanical source?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,575 Likes on 2,199 Posts

What fuel are you using in this application? What kind of altitude does the aircraft see?
Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Panrdino
More info: there are actually 2 levels of misfire. One will go away if you back off the throttle but the other only goes away if you shut the engine down. If you then restart sometimes it’s there and sometimes it isn’t. And neither appears until you have been flying for about 30 min. Varies between 27 and 33 min.
This is making me revisit the thought of a fuel restriction caused by SOMETHING happening after a certain time elapse.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They use 100LL aviation fuel, and only a few thousand feet at the most altitude. The field is at about 900 feet elevation, so maybe 3000 - 4000 ft above sea level when flying. Certainly in the range of a car in the mountains.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM
ModSquad

They use 100LL aviation fuel, and only a few thousand feet at the most altitude. The field is at about 900 feet elevation, so maybe 3000 - 4000 ft above sea level when flying. Certainly in the range of a car in the mountains.
Even though the 100LL (low lead) is known as low lead, the lead content is still relatively high in that fuel, and in fact a report last month from FAA talks about EPA looking into a true unleaded AVGAS blend. This has me thinking about the knock sensors in that engine...which cooksey earlier in this thread mentioned already...and the lead in the fuel...
Run this by the mechanics. Have them go into the ECM via HPtuners, or EFILive and turn off the knock sensors. You have plenty of octane in that fuel to resist any harmful detonation. The lead in the fuel can aid in detonation. Perhaps the sensors are picking up detonation and retarding timing? I’m simply thinking out loud here. Not really turning enough rpm to warrant using knock sensors in this application in my opinion...Worth a shot.

Last edited by Che70velle; 08-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:26 AM
Teching In

It turns out they hadn’t replaced the cam position sensor until today and will fly it again on Monday.
What would be the symptoms of a bad can position sensor? Similar to what we’re seeing, I suspect.

In this airplane the engine is mounted backward and there is very little space between the face of the engine and the firewall. So I imagine it gets pretty hot in there, without the usual cooling air blowing over it.
Not hard to imagine the sensor would overheat.

We’ll see come Monday

Jim
Old 08-17-2019, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

FWIW,, 100LL WILL ruin O2 sensors.. BTDT with many racers too cheap to buy race gas..
it starts out intermittent and gets worse as the fouling increases. Oh and the lead fouling is really hard to see..
Its the same color as most electrodes, but you might see dark gray streaks on the insulator.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
FWIW,, 100LL WILL ruin O2 sensors.. BTDT with many racers too cheap to buy race gas..
it starts out intermittent and gets worse as the fouling increases. Oh and the lead fouling is really hard to see..
Its the same color as most electrodes, but you might see dark gray streaks on the insulator.
Because the exhaust stacks are so short, the plane does not have any O2 sensors. Which is a problem in itself
Old 09-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Update- Replacing the cam sensor made no difference, so they took the heads off and found one pushrod was not quite right. They replaced all the lifters and pushrods but it didn’t solve the problem so they have removed the engine and are going to replace it.

My guess is a valve was sticking in its guide when it got hot, resulting in a bent pushrod and misfire
Old 09-12-2019, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 338 Likes on 229 Posts

Please report back when you get this figured out, I'm really interested in this application...
Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Please report back when you get this figured out, I'm really interested in this application...
they replaced the motor and the problem went away. I think it was a sticky valve that occurred when it got hot. AFAIK they have no plans to disassemble the motor orit look into it further.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys.

Jim
Old 10-29-2019, 10:33 PM
ModSquad

they replaced the motor and the problem went away. I think it was a sticky valve that occurred when it got hot. AFAIK they have no plans to disassemble the motor orit look into it further.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys.

Jim
Thanks for finishing this thread. Doesn’t happen very much here on Tech.
Glad you got it figured out, and thankful nobody got hurt in attempting to fly with the hurt engine. Very unfortunate that you got your hands on an engine that was hurt and it ended up in an aircraft of all places. Just don’t see LS engines very often that are defective when new.

Quick Reply: Intermittent rough running from a mechanical source?