Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Roller Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roller Rockers

G'day everyone.
Have done a lot of reading the last few days and have confused myself even more to some extent.
I have a 408 l98 based stroker in the build . I've decided on a 238/250 @.050 112 .640 .640
Engine is 11.8:1 with cnc ls3 heads .
I'm looking to step up to a roller rocker , I know a lot say stick to the stock rocker with upgraded trunion etc but I have k line bronze guides so really looking to go roller .
Can anyone recommend a good rocker, I will add valve spring accordingly with titanium retainers, only looking to use dual so if a spring ever fails there's one more to catch the valve .

One alternative to a non roller tip rocker I've seen is the comp max lift bsr set up . I was almost ready to buy them until I read a few posts saying they need external oiling such as spray bars etc , is this correct ?

Any feedback is appreciated .
Old 08-03-2019, 08:25 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Jezza355
G'day everyone.
Have done a lot of reading the last few days and have confused myself even more to some extent.
I have a 408 l98 based stroker in the build . I've decided on a 238/250 @.050 112 .640 .640
I'm looking to step up to a roller rocker , I know a lot say stick to the stock rocker with upgraded trunion etc but I have k line bronze guides so really looking to go roller .
Can anyone recommend a good rocker, I will add valve spring accordingly with titanium retainers, only looking to use dual so if a spring ever fails there's one more to catch the valve .

One alternative to a non roller tip rocker I've seen is the comp max lift bsr set up . I was almost ready to buy them until I read a few posts saying they need external oiling such as spray bars etc , is this correct ?

I’m using Comp Ultra Pro Mags without any problems. They only come in a 1.8 ratio though, but they have been good rockers for me so far.

The BSR rockers don’t NEED any external oiling, you can still bolt them on like any other rocker. They are machined to accommodate an external oil line to the shaft, but again, it’s not needed. .
The following users liked this post:
KW Baraka (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

I would recommend using yella terra.
They have proven to be very reliable for me.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
I’m using Comp Ultra Pro Mags without any problems. They only come in a 1.8 ratio though, but they have been good rockers for me so far.

The BSR rockers don’t NEED any external oiling, you can still bolt them on like any other rocker. They are machined to accommodate an external oil line to the shaft, but again, it’s not needed. .
Did you have to go heavy with the spring to control valve float ? I was looking at those, they look nice .
Are you running as adjustable with stud or non adjustable .
Old 08-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bortous
I would recommend using yella terra.
They have proven to be very reliable for me.
I almost went with the ultra lite pro rated @ 480lb open pressure but there was a post around the time I was looking at them that was about the yella terra rockers failing on Facebook that stopped me. A lot of Aussie guys have suffered breakages and roller tip issues with the revised models . Not sure if it's incorrect installation but some of the rocker setups were fitted by well known and respected engine builders here in Aus.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:30 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you have to go heavy with the spring to control valve float ? I was looking at those, they look nice .
Are you running as adjustable with stud or non adjustable .
I’m just using the non adjustable version but don’t remember the spring pressure. I think they’re either a BTR or PRC spring kit, not sure which. My cam has super smooth marine lobes so it can tolerate a heavy valvetrain and a good amount of RPM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

I almost went with the ultra lite pro rated @ 480lb open pressure but there was a post around the time I was looking at them that was about the yella terra rockers failing on Facebook that stopped me. A lot of Aussie guys have suffered breakages and roller tip issues with the revised models . Not sure if it's incorrect installation but some of the rocker setups were fitted by well known and respected engine builders here in Aus.
That's not accurate.
The Gen 1 roller rockers had issues years ago in the early 2000's.
Yella Terra came out with a 2nd Gen update a few years later which fixed the majority of the issues.
Then when gen 3 came out in 2011 they are pretty much bullet proof now.
Also a a lot of the issues were from improper installation and running too much open spring pressure.
A lot of people were not setting them up to spec.
I have never heard of anyone down here breaking their rockers in the last 10 years or so.
I had 2nd gen rockers for 9 years in my LS and never had an issue.
I just sold them recently because I upgraded them to the pro street version due to the spring I am using and they were still in great condition and the buyer has them installed and is very happy.
If you set them up to spec and run no more than the max open pressure you will not have any issues and they will last for years.
Don't buy into the fear mongering.
Tony Mamo exclusively uses these for his builds and they have proven to be very reliable.
The ultra lite pro can handle a heavy PAC 1207x spring which is more than enough for most applications.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

G'day everyone.

Camshaft choice is also good and will work well with that compression.
My recommendation is to put it on a 114 LSA +4 so you have a good balance of power everywhere and it will pull good up top.
Jezza355 (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

You don't need a roller rocker with a hydraulic setup. Going to something like a 1.8:1 ratio and a roller rocker will probably pick up 15-20HP if you have the spring to control it (and the rocker body is strong enough to support it).

I have T&D aluminum rollers waiting to go on my solid roller setup. They are way overkill for a hydraulic setup. But they are purdy.

Jezza355 (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You don't need a roller rocker with a hydraulic setup. Going to something like a 1.8:1 ratio and a roller rocker will probably pick up 15-20HP if you have the spring to control it (and the rocker body is strong enough to support it).

I have T&D aluminum rollers waiting to go on my solid roller setup. They are way overkill for a hydraulic setup. But they are purdy.

The shaft rockers are really nice. I'm leaning towards the ultra pro magnums but can seem to find specs on weight and nose weight etc.
Also like the Texas speed rollers but no stock until end of August .
Man I wish I lived in the USA sometimes, so many parts and so much cheaper than what we have to pay .
Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

Call ws6store for tsp rockers. Also try tick performance. They had some last time I called. I wouldn't even consider the other rocker options.

Comps are very heavy. Ultralites are heavy and aluminum. Tsp rocker is steel and I've been told tested for over 800lb without issues. They are also only 8 grams heavier over the nose. They also require a shorter pushrod which stiffens up that part of the equation greatly. They won't fatigue over time and will take anything you throw at them.

Last edited by Bspeck82; 08-04-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bortous
That's not accurate.
The Gen 1 roller rockers had issues years ago in the early 2000's.
Yella Terra came out with a 2nd Gen update a few years later which fixed the majority of the issues.
Then when gen 3 came out in 2011 they are pretty much bullet proof now.
Also a a lot of the issues were from improper installation and running too much open spring pressure.
A lot of people were not setting them up to spec.
I have never heard of anyone down here breaking their rockers in the last 10 years or so.
I had 2nd gen rockers for 9 years in my LS and never had an issue.
I just sold them recently because I upgraded them to the pro street version due to the spring I am using and they were still in great condition and the buyer has them installed and is very happy.
If you set them up to spec and run no more than the max open pressure you will not have any issues and they will last for years.
Don't buy into the fear mongering.
Tony Mamo exclusively uses these for his builds and they have proven to be very reliable.
The ultra lite pro can handle a heavy PAC 1207x spring which is more than enough for most applications.
The problem is you only ever see the bad posts , never the good . I thought at first it was just incorrect installation , wrong application etc but this post continued to grow showing failure after failure . I have used plenty of yella terra rockers in the past being Aussie with no issues they're popular here but I've never used them in the ls platform .Unfortunately it seems they may have some issues with the ls series rockers still.
But in saying this , there's been plenty of rocker failures in a lot of other brands with these ls engines after researching, all aluminium .
Che70velle (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Call ws6store for tsp rockers. Also try tick performance. They had some last time I called. I wouldn't even consider the other rocker options.

Comps are very heavy. Ultralites are heavy and aluminum. Tsp rocker is steel and I've been told tested for over 800lb without issues. They are also only 8 grams heavier over the nose. They also require a shorter pushrod which stiffens up that part of the equation greatly. They won't fatigue over time and will take anything you throw at them.
Thanks for that , have sent them an email .
Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-1...-/401789846367
These have been mentioned but deserve a good look, they kinda fit the bill for your request; strong, not going to break them, light over the nose, like stock, roller, won’t be too much for your bronze guides and really reasonably priced so your not laying out too much $
Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 64post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-1...-/401789846367
These have been mentioned but deserve a good look, they kinda fit the bill for your request; strong, not going to break them, light over the nose, like stock, roller, won’t be too much for your bronze guides and really reasonably priced so your not laying out too much $
They look like a nice rocker , just heard they are quite heavy . Hopefully have a set of rockers from Texas speed, just waiting on an email. Wish the Aussie dollar was better at the momemt !
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 604 Likes on 480 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

TSP has a OEM type of rocker but with a roller tip. They offer them with bearing or bushing trunion. They look pretty trick. Not sure of the weight over the valve though.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
TSP has a OEM type of rocker but with a roller tip. They offer them with bearing or bushing trunion. They look pretty trick. Not sure of the weight over the valve though.
That's the ones I'm looking at grabbing , they're only 8 Grams heavier than stock . Not sure on nose weight yet but i will weigh and share here when i get them
Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

Nah the tsps are much lighter. Those comps are heavy. If you want to save cash get the ws6store max effort stock rockers.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Same rocker as KCS just adjustable.... Verified over 800 lift . Rocker is not the problem the tiny *** stud is the problem. Replaced with larger stud and truion. Add stud girdle .... can be done on LS 7 heads as well.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Aluminum bodied rocker arms are for hydraulic lite weight stuff. Which one is stronger aluminum or steel. I don't count rocker arm weight. Think about that 1 for a second? Nor pushrods? Y? What are we trying to control... Lose weight there. Springs, retainers, valves,keepers, etc.....