Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Upper valve train in front of engine not getting full pressure after replacing lifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper valve train in front of engine not getting full pressure after replacing lifter

Hello ... I have everyone stumped about my problem . I have a 2009 iron block 6.0 that originally had a busted lifter. I Have replaced all of the lifters and pushrods And valve guide trays with new. Replaced the The damaged Camshaft And New retaining plate, cleaned the upper oil galleys with A round wire brush, Opened center galley and cleaned all broken debris from lifter. Also changed the Spring in the oil pump to a high pressure. Cleaned the oil sump and screen.

I currently at start up i get 55-60 psi @ the electronic sensor and stock gauge. But the motor sounds like a diesel engine. I pulled the valve covers off and the rear rockers are spitting plenty of oil but very weak upfront. I have determined with a 3ft rubber hose that the noise resinates from the front Of the engine. I have opened Stripped the engine 6 times trying to figure it out and im still at square 0.

has anyone ran into this problem? Please advise.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Check how tight the lifter fits into the bore on the bad (replaced) cylinder compared to a couple of other cylinders that have good oil flow from the PR/rockers. I take it you never found out why the lifter ever failed in the first place

Jim
Old 09-15-2020, 12:46 PM

Default Response to Jim .. Maybe a possibility?

I have checked it and the lifter feels snug into the sleeve as all others do. I do not know as to why it originally failed as i purchased the bus that way.

Im about to purchase a 296 mellins pump, but i wanted to know if the Oil directional barbell in the rear of engine , could be the corporate of the weak oil flow To the front of engine.
your thoughts?

Last edited by Teknunez; 09-15-2020 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to add response
Old 09-15-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Reply to jim

It does have the barbell.. seen it when I pulled oil pan.

Quick Reply: Upper valve train in front of engine not getting full pressure after replacing lifter