Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

johnson-st2126lsr-short-travel-slow-leak-down-race lifter with axle oiling

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
Key word is should.... The variances can come in many parts of the valvetrain. Cam, lifters, valves and rockers let alone push rod tolerance. I guess if your dealing with LS7 lifters you throw what ever you want in. Short travels you better do your homework and measure each and every one. You basically spend the effort of setting up a solid. Not trying to be argumentative, but a statement of a "uniform set of sticks should work" in my opinion is from someone that has not set up many top ends with precise measuring.
Well, we are all different. Uniform sticks will work if the variances are within .005. Thats what hydraulic lifters are for. I would not allow anyone put put say 5 or 6 different sticks in the motor. You could try lash caps etc., or other method to even out the variance, and I do not care how many times you tried it or have seen multi stick lengths used, I wouldn't do it. Thats my opinion and methodology.

As far as experience is concerned, I placed my first set of sticks in a 327 before you were born. Good day.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Rednari2- Limited travel lifters have changed the game since you put your "first set of sticks in a 327". That experience is irrelevant in light of what is available now.
You can do whatever you want, but when the situation calls for different circumstances than existed 40-50 years ago, you kinda gotta conform or things won't work right.
To the point- If limited travel lifters make different length pushrods necessary, ya just do it.
BTW, I'm no young punk. Just a 68-year-old gearhead not afraid to adapt to modern tech.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by rednari2
Well, we are all different. Uniform sticks will work if the variances are within .005. Thats what hydraulic lifters are for. I would not allow anyone put put say 5 or 6 different sticks in the motor. You could try lash caps etc., or other method to even out the variance, and I do not care how many times you tried it or have seen multi stick lengths used, I wouldn't do it. Thats my opinion and methodology.

As far as experience is concerned, I placed my first set of sticks in a 327 before you were born. Good day.
Agreed, you could, but I would not recommend it. If you use lash caps, you change the wipe pattern on the valve tip. Don't get me wrong, I like lash caps, but then you have to re-shim the rockers to get the right wipe pattern, and then you need to order another different PR length.

These short travel lifters are not like the stock lifters. Set of LS7 (any stock) lifters with .190 travel, sure get one length and go. When your entire travel is .058, and your ideal preload is .038" +/- .005, and measuring all 16 holes, there is .055" variance, you cannot run one length unless your rockers are adjustable.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 489 Likes on 316 Posts

I want to try the comp XD-A pushrods in the future. It sounds like a tedious setup process, but worth it in the end. You get ~.170" adjustment range with the shim kit. The geometry of the pushrod aids stiffness and can eliminate the mass of the adjuster from the rocker arm.

There's a reason why some people never see more than 650 hp with LS engines NA and others are knocking on the door of 800hp with seemingly the same parts. Problem with the internet is that if it happens once people think it is the new standard and everything less than that is trash.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Rednari2- Limited travel lifters have changed the game since you put your "first set of sticks in a 327". That experience is irrelevant in light of what is available now.
You can do whatever you want, but when the situation calls for different circumstances than existed 40-50 years ago, you kinda gotta conform or things won't work right.
To the point- If limited travel lifters make different length pushrods necessary, ya just do it.
BTW, I'm no young punk. Just a 68-year-old gearhead not afraid to adapt to modern tech.
Ok, but I think its slugging a problem. Meaning you slug the variance with different sticks instead of correcting it. I am not saying the motor won't operate well with different sticks. But, I think you should check valve lengths first. Once, those are within say .002 and you still get variance at .005 or more, than its time to check the rockers for play and work you way back to the cam if necessary.

Also, if these short travel lifters are that sensitive and must have tailored fit push rods, then move on to solids.

Next, I did not refer to you as a punk. I didn't quote you so I am not sure why you responsed. Also, I have you by a year. :-) Any way I wish the thread starter the best with his build.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Agreed, you could, but I would not recommend it. If you use lash caps, you change the wipe pattern on the valve tip. Don't get me wrong, I like lash caps, but then you have to re-shim the rockers to get the right wipe pattern, and then you need to order another different PR length.

These short travel lifters are not like the stock lifters. Set of LS7 (any stock) lifters with .190 travel, sure get one length and go. When your entire travel is .058, and your ideal preload is .038" +/- .005, and measuring all 16 holes, there is .055" variance, you cannot run one length unless your rockers are adjustable.
V8r, I get all of the above. But, I'd move on to solids. They do not need as much adjustment as most people think.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

V8r, I get all of the above. But, I'd move on to solids. They do not need as much adjustment as most people think.
I'm 100% with you. My last few builds have been solids. I think the "They Need So Much Maintenance" thing is way overblown.

Sometimes, it's the rocker mount pedestal height that's the issue. fwiw.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 751 Likes on 407 Posts

When you say "much" adjustment, are you guys referring to usage/mileage? Or actual adjustment?
Old 10-06-2020, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

ST2126LSR are where lifters start... Nothing cheaper, or less "fancy" should even be considered. This is the base, factory-replacement lifter, in my opinion.

This is the lifter for "just a refresh" builds, "sloppy" turbo builds, and "budget" n/a builds. If you just want something decent, but aren't willing to step up to a larger diameter... this is what you get.

Measure all 16 locations individually. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. Measure every ring gap, why wouldn't you measure every pushrod?

Manton 511 (11/32 to 5/16, 120 wall, dual taper) pushrods are a good place to start. You can step up to the 514-145 (3/8 to 11/32, 145 wall, dual taper) if you think you need it.