Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

FED Tech Series S1Ep1 - Valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021 | 11:23 AM
Teching In

Default FED Tech Series S1Ep1 - Valves

Hey guys, just wanted to update everyone and post a link to our first YouTube Tech Series video on valves. If you guys have any questions regarding valves in regards to shape, dimensions, weights, when/where/why and i'd be happy to guide you in the right direction. Thanks for watching!

The following users liked this post:
anotherTodd (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021 | 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Watching now!
Old 02-02-2021 | 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

It was good. I learned something new. I was not aware that inconel valves where not full inconel.
Can't wait to see the Differences in coatings for valves!

Only Critic would be a closer view of the valves and the different areas so a beginner can see it better. Maybe a marker board with an exploded view or try and get close up picture maybe with a call out of the area's that you could add to the video? I know it's difficult to get the zoom to function properly in a tight area when your trying to make the video. It almost never cooperates.

Thanks for sharing!
anotherTodd (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021 | 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
It was good. I learned something new. I was not aware that inconel valves where not full inconel.
Can't wait to see the Differences in coatings for valves!

Only Critic would be a closer view of the valves and the different areas so a beginner can see it better. Maybe a marker board with an exploded view or try and get close up picture maybe with a call out of the area's that you could add to the video? I know it's difficult to get the zoom to function properly in a tight area when your trying to make the video. It almost never cooperates.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the feedback! That's what we were initially aiming for on that 2nd camera view, but we didn't get to see the footage until the camera crew were already gone. But it's definitely something we'll be bringing up for the next round of videos.
Old 02-02-2021 | 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by GavinFED
Thanks for the feedback! That's what we were initially aiming for on that 2nd camera view, but we didn't get to see the footage until the camera crew were already gone. But it's definitely something we'll be bringing up for the next round of videos.
Glad to see this Stuff being brought up to the community so everyone can learn and benefit from it.

When Mike started talking CRN coated and then DLC coating I was like Damn here we go! But it was also said that it will be covered in another video I had to keep reminding myself wait for the Next video on that. MySelf I would like to know How the coatings are applied, when to use each type of coating and the benefits they offer so I am looking forward to "going down that rabbit hole" Also looking forward to the explanation of the different types of titanium and which application's they are used for.

Thanks again for sharing!
Old 02-02-2021 | 03:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Glad to see this Stuff being brought up to the community so everyone can learn and benefit from it.

When Mike started talking CRN coated and then DLC coating I was like Damn here we go! But it was also said that it will be covered in another video I had to keep reminding myself wait for the Next video on that. MySelf I would like to know How the coatings are applied, when to use each type of coating and the benefits they offer so I am looking forward to "going down that rabbit hole" Also looking forward to the explanation of the different types of titanium and which application's they are used for.

Thanks again for sharing!
We tried making this video ourselves before hiring a film company and we started to dig into coatings. After editing the video was still 30 mins long lol. We want these videos around 15 mins or less so decided to break them down into pieces.
Old 02-02-2021 | 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Talking

We tried making this video ourselves before hiring a film company and we started to dig into coatings. After editing the video was still 30 mins long lol. We want these videos around 15 mins or less so decided to break them down into pieces.
Makes total sense!
Grab your Audience and captivate them within a short time frame so they are more likely to pay attention to all the details. If you get too winded, you lose them and they might miss key details.

Of course that's just my opinion.
Old 02-02-2021 | 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys, just wanted to update everyone and post a link to our first YouTube Tech Series video on valves. If you guys have any questions regarding valves in regards to shape, dimensions, weights, when/where/why and i'd be happy to guide you in the right direction. Thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/2WUhdAaBUi4
What determines valve margin thickness?
DualQuadDave (02-04-2021)
Old 02-02-2021 | 07:59 PM
Teching In

I have two suggestions that aren't technical, but will make your video series better. (Note: the 1st suggestion has been noted by others. This makes it especially worthy of consideration)

1. Use a 3rd camera/editing for close ups. In this video all of the valve parameters would make more sense to a wider audience with additional close up shots. In the above video, this would prove especially attractive in illustrating the valve seat, margin, back cut(s) nailhead and tulip differences, and other differences, like back angle.

2. Number your videos AND link to others in series in the description. The reason for chronological numbering should be self-evident. However, linking to associated videos partially negates the need for playlists which are only really valuable for users interested enough to seek out your channel and look for this type of bundled content. A bunch of links in logical sequence is just good marketing. YouTube makes it fairly easy to update this data on as needed or globally; use it to your advantage.

Last edited by anotherTodd; 02-02-2021 at 08:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by anotherTodd:
JRFed (02-03-2021), rkupon1 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-03-2021 | 04:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by anotherTodd
I have two suggestions that aren't technical, but will make your video series better. (Note: the 1st suggestion has been noted by others. This makes it especially worthy of consideration)

1. Use a 3rd camera/editing for close ups. In this video all of the valve parameters would make more sense to a wider audience with additional close up shots. In the above video, this would prove especially attractive in illustrating the valve seat, margin, back cut(s) nailhead and tulip differences, and other differences, like back angle.

2. Number your videos AND link to others in series in the description. The reason for chronological numbering should be self-evident. However, linking to associated videos partially negates the need for playlists which are only really valuable for users interested enough to seek out your channel and look for this type of bundled content. A bunch of links in logical sequence is just good marketing. YouTube makes it fairly easy to update this data on as needed or globally; use it to your advantage.
Thanks for the feedback! Once we get more videos posted, we'll be taking advantage of having our other videos pop up at the end so people can click to another related video.

As far as margin goes, a few things come into play such as horsepower (heat) being the main one. Margin thicknesses can be played with for a desired stem height or installed height, chamber volume, and even flow.
anotherTodd (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021 | 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting about the suggested horsepower ratings of the materials. I'm running a set of your M311's spec'd for Thompson Motorsports. The longblock is rated for 1300hp and the heads have the "Extreme duty stainless intake and extreme duty solid exhaust valves". I'm running a centri style blower on E85 without meth. Currently around the 1000whp range, but plan to turn it up to 1150ish. With 900 miles on the motor, I really didn't have plans on pulling the heads to upgrade the valves. I was under the impression the Inconel were for extreme heat turbo applications. Should I be worried?

What's the price of the upgrade to Inconel?
Old 02-04-2021 | 09:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Justhereforinfo
Interesting about the suggested horsepower ratings of the materials. I'm running a set of your M311's spec'd for Thompson Motorsports. The longblock is rated for 1300hp and the heads have the "Extreme duty stainless intake and extreme duty solid exhaust valves". I'm running a centri style blower on E85 without meth. Currently around the 1000whp range, but plan to turn it up to 1150ish. With 900 miles on the motor, I really didn't have plans on pulling the heads to upgrade the valves. I was under the impression the Inconel were for extreme heat turbo applications. Should I be worried?

What's the price of the upgrade to Inconel?
You'll probably still be okay, however, I think of upgrades like this as insurance policies. Few hundred dollars can save you thousands down the road. I've seen people make 1500whp on standard stainless steel, doesn't mean it should be done lol. And I've seen people melt stainless exhaust at 1200whp. Of course the tuneup and fuel being used affect this.

As far as price, shoot me an email at gavin@frankensteined.net, i don't want to break any rules here.

Quick Reply: FED Tech Series S1Ep1 - Valves