Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need a Machine shop to replace sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021 | 02:19 PM
Teching In

Default Need a Machine shop to replace sleeve

Hi everybody I am in need of a machine shop in Boston area that is reputable in replacing a sleeve on LS 6.2 ..just one sleeve, prepp n clean block.deck plate hone for new pistons..Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks very much..also willing to travel NH -VT,

Last edited by ls7racer; 02-14-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 02-14-2021 | 06:50 PM
Banned

Shipp it to a Professional and be Done

The 1st time?
Old 02-14-2021 | 07:09 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Golen engines is up there in Mass iirc. I dont think they ll do sleeves in house. But they must have some recommendations.
Old 02-17-2021 | 11:41 AM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Golen engines is up there in Mass iirc. I dont think they ll do sleeves in house. But they must have some recommendations.
If Golen bores cylinders, they should be able to install sleeves. I cut my teeth, so to speak, on Japanese motorcycles in the late 1960s-early 1970s. All the Japanese motorcycle engines used aluminum cylinders with sleeves back then. We would bore the block/cylinders .001"-.0015" undersize, heat the block/cylinders, and have the sleeve(s) in a tub of dry ice. When ready for the sleeve(s), we'd put on some snowmobile mitts, grab the sleeve, and it would literally drop right into the bore. Let all the temps equalize, then bore/hone cylinder, maybe decking the cylinder a couple thousandths. That was the tricky part. All the 4 stroke Japanese bikes used single or double overhead cams. You don't want to take much off when decking, as it changes the cam timing a slight amount. A V8 should be reasonably easy. This procedure sure beats pressing the sleeves in!!
The following users liked this post:
rkupon1 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I’m in the same situation I need a sleeve in anLS3 block, my machinist says he can do it by boring out the old liner until there’s nothing left of it. The OEM sleeve is supposedly ribbed and cannot be be pulled out only bored out and some of the ribs remain and a new smooth sleeve is pressed in and decked. Of course this costs more than a regular sleeve install.
Old 02-18-2021 | 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 64post
I’m in the same situation I need a sleeve in anLS3 block, my machinist says he can do it by boring out the old liner until there’s nothing left of it. The OEM sleeve is supposedly ribbed and cannot be be pulled out only bored out and some of the ribs remain and a new smooth sleeve is pressed in and decked. Of course this costs more than a regular sleeve install.
That is correct, the factory sleeves are cast in place. They have ribs on them to help lock them in place.

Old 02-18-2021 | 02:43 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 64post
I can't imagine why it would cost any more to bore out. Machinist might need 1 or 2 additional passes to make the aluminum bore more acceptable to the ductile iron sleeve. But a sleeve is a sleeve, unless you're talking about 2 stroke engines, which are a PITA due to all the intermittent cuts, due to the ports, and port locations. Maybe another $10-$20 at most for an additional 2 passes with the boring bar. Don't let them tell you any differently, either. I wish you luck....
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by grinder11
I can't imagine why it would cost any more to bore out. Machinist might need 1 or 2 additional passes to make the aluminum bore more acceptable to the ductile iron sleeve. But a sleeve is a sleeve, unless you're talking about 2 stroke engines, which are a PITA due to all the intermittent cuts, due to the ports, and port locations. Maybe another $10-$20 at most for an additional 2 passes with the boring bar. Don't let them tell you any differently, either. I wish you luck....
was quoted $500. I had a sleeve done on a 6.0 iron block and it was only $200. The L92 block that needs a sleeve was a throw in because it needs to be repaired, I bought the heads and got a lot extra stuff so it’s worth spending little money to get a serviceable block. IDK about $500, though.
The following users liked this post:
Corona (02-19-2021)
Old 02-23-2021 | 11:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Default Sleeving LS3 based blocks

Originally Posted by ls7racer
Hi everybody I am in need of a machine shop in Boston area that is reputable in replacing a sleeve on LS 6.2 ..just one sleeve, prepp n clean block.deck plate hone for new pistons..Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks very much..also willing to travel NH -VT,
Photo is an LS9 block, LS3 based, that I installed Darton dry liners in today. The bores cleaned up on one side, facing the rear, and not the other, front side, on the first three cylinders, cylinder 7 cleaned up 360 degrees around. On this block I had to shift the bores ten thou towards the valley on the left bank and five thou towards the valley on the right from the crankshaft center line to get down to clean aluminum for sleeve installation. These blocks are the worst of the Gen IV blocks to sleeve. Most times the sleeves aren't straight up and down, right angles to the deck on these making the job even more difficult.
If you try to save a block using a straight wall repair sleeve it needs a shelf on the bottom to sit on. Most of these blocks don't have enough material at the bottom of the bore to support a repair liner. It is not worth the risk. If that sleeve breaks loose and drops down it's all over.
My suggestion is to get another block or get the block sleeved with flanged Darton dry liners that aren't going anywhere if properly installed.

LS9 rough bored for Darton sleeve installation.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve - Race Eng:
Corona (02-25-2021), DualQuadDave (03-06-2021), G Atsma (02-24-2021), grinder11 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021 | 12:36 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
Photo is an LS9 block, LS3 based, that I installed Darton dry liners in today. The bores cleaned up on one side, facing the rear, and not the other, front side, on the first three cylinders, cylinder 7 cleaned up 360 degrees around. On this block I had to shift the bores ten thou towards the valley on the left bank and five thou towards the valley on the right from the crankshaft center line to get down to clean aluminum for sleeve installation. These blocks are the worst of the Gen IV blocks to sleeve. Most times the sleeves aren't straight up and down, right angles to the deck on these making the job even more difficult.
If you try to save a block using a straight wall repair sleeve it needs a shelf on the bottom to sit on. Most of these blocks don't have enough material at the bottom of the bore to support a repair liner. It is not worth the risk. If that sleeve breaks loose and drops down it's all over.
My suggestion is to get another block or get the block sleeved with flanged Darton dry liners that aren't going anywhere if properly installed.

LS9 rough bored for Darton sleeve installation.
Good advice, Steve. You did one of my blocks years ago. Shipping cost me some $$$ from Michigan to California, and back. You did a Knock Out job, and if I ever do the Darton sleeves again, I'll gladly pay $$$ to send it your way again. Guys, nobody knows the LS sleeving job like Steve/R.E.D.. The old saying "Good work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't good", comes to mind......
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
cino (02-26-2021), G Atsma (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021 | 01:40 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by grinder11
Good advice, Steve. You did one of my blocks years ago. Shipping cost me some $$$ from Michigan to California, and back. You did a Knock Out job, and if I ever do the Darton sleeves again, I'll gladly pay $$$ to send it your way again. Guys, nobody knows the LS sleeving job like Steve/R.E.D.. The old saying "Good work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't good", comes to mind......
And not just GM LS/LT blocks either. Ask Steve what kind of power the V-10 Vipers are putting down he’s done. I’ll give you a hint...it’s well north of 2k and those are real street cars. He’s got Honda’s making Insane numbers. Hector Arana Jr was the first pro stock bike to go 200 mph, and that was with Steve’s cylinders. Nissan GTR’s making insane numbers....shoot, there isn’t much Steve hasn’t sleeved in the 40+ years he’s been at it. I trust no one else. DarthV8r approved even! 😜
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
cino (02-26-2021), G Atsma (02-25-2021), grinder11 (02-26-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

Steve at R.E.D. is the man when it comes to resleeving anything! Thanks for always sharing your knowledge as well.....
The following 2 users liked this post by gnx7:
Double06 (03-06-2021), DualQuadDave (03-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Need a Machine shop to replace sleeve