Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Adjustable Rocker options

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Adjustable Rocker options

Fairly new to LS stuff and have been trying to research my best option for adjustable rocker arms without spending the money for shaft rockers. Looking for real world user feedback on Yella Terra, Harland Sharp, or even some of the stud mount stuff like Comp and Crane do. Engine will be NA 418 ci (4.100 stroke x 4.030 bore) 12.1 compression, Ported 823 heads. Final cam specs not picked yet, but plan to run LLSR. Going in 3000 lb Mustang strip/some street car to run high to mid 9’s. Thanks in advance for replies

Last edited by Tony Corley; 03-19-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 680 Likes on 554 Posts

Comp Cams Pro Magnum adjustable stud mounted rocker arms 8 mm stud with Poly lock wing nuts

Don't go Crazy on LIFT 🤫

1.8 rocker ratio available 👍
Old 03-19-2021, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Corona
Comp Cams Pro Magnum adjustable stud mounted rocker arms 8 mm stud with Poly lock wing nuts

Don't go Crazy on LIFT 🤫

1.8 rocker ratio available 👍
Thanks. What is your definition of crazy. I am thinking of using something in the .660-.670 range lift wise.

Last edited by Tony Corley; 03-19-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 489 Likes on 316 Posts

I'd recommend the Comp BSR rocker system and XD-A pushrods from Comp to set lash.

Lightweight - no adjustment - very stable.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spanks13
I'd recommend the Comp BSR rocker system and XD-A pushrods from Comp to set lash.

Lightweight - no adjustment - very stable.
On paper that looks good. Have you personally ran the XD-A pushrods to see how they hold up? And btw, thanks for mentioning these. I wasn’t aware of them.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:46 AM
Banned

I own them and did mines like a friend..
There Basics and simple...
Modified ours for +.750 lift and 8k +

Your below 700 Lift 👍.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Banned

Maybe I can show a pic of your same head with my setup and Mod Pro Magnum studs and rockers.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Banned

The following users liked this post:
Tony Corley (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:00 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I have the non-adjustable Ultra Pro Mag rockers on my car with about .670" lift. No complaints at all, and I'm sure the stud mounts would work just fine as well. Just like with all aftermarket stud mounts, make sure the valve covers clear and keep an eye on the lash.
The following 2 users liked this post by KCS:
Corona (03-19-2021), Tony Corley (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:03 AM
Banned

If needed in the future with more lift just add a bigger stud with matching trunion. Both can be gotten from Comp Cams.
I did 👍🤫
Tony Corley (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Maybe I can show a pic of your same head with my setup and Mod Pro Magnum studs and rockers.
I’m pretty familiar with stud mount rockers, lol. Just was not sure why they weren’t popular on the LS. I’ve turned 9000 rpm in the past with stud mounts on other combos.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
I have the non-adjustable Ultra Pro Mag rockers on my car with about .670" lift. No complaints at all, and I'm sure the stud mounts would work just fine as well. Just like with all aftermarket stud mounts, make sure the valve covers clear and keep an eye on the lash.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Corley
On paper that looks good. Have you personally ran the XD-A pushrods to see how they hold up? And btw, thanks for mentioning these. I wasn’t aware of them.
No, but they've been tested thoroughly up over 10k rpm during Comp's spintron development. Due to the nesting pushrod they claim they perform on the spintron like a much larger pushrod. The varying diameter helps break up natural frequencies and effectively shortens the length when it comes to buckling calculations. I've listened to some podcasts with Billy Godbold from Comp and he said basically it looks like the dumbest thing you could possibly design for a pushrod, but blew them away when it was tested.

The BSR shaft rocker design is something that has been done since the 60's (very successfully). It is basically like a lot of the shaft rocker systems out there already for the LS stuff, but uses a lightweight low mass rocker arm and bolts to the factory head reducing the cost over the other shaft rocker systems. I personally do not like the aluminum stuff and I know a lot in this thread already would agree with me. They will work and have been proven to work, but not my preference. Order of what I want - low mass steel sliding rockers, 2nd adjustable steel rocker roller tip (only when needed), last place would be aluminum roller tip.

If you prefer to stick with a traditional pushrod and shaft rocker setup with an adjuster I would look at the Crowers for a nice middle ground steel rocker setup that isn't going to bankrupt you like a Jesel setup would.

At the lift range you're in you do not need a roller tip IMO. After lash and deflection you'll be around .650 lift. With the added stability of the BSR system Comp says you can push it up to 660-670 with the sliding tip and the geometry is happy. If you go with a roller tip shaft rocker setup you really have no reason not to go to ~750 lift, get PAC 1209x or even their 1237/8x drag race springs and get after it.

I wish I had first hand experience for you to share, but I don't get to build engines very often because it all comes out of my pocket. If I ever have another $15-20k to light on fire I do want to build a small cube engine using these valvetrain parts that'll rev to 9k+. Ideally with the biggest TVS supercharger on top that they make at the time - 2650 right now, maybe 3100 when I get around to it. Think blown LS with a power curve like the new GT500 pulling to 9k+.

In my opinion everyone is overlooking these valvetrain parts right now. Comp really just needs to come out with a roller tip BSR setup and allow for 700+ lift solid roller setups with zero maintenance and it would change everything.

I'd call Comp until you get to someone that can talk to you seriously about this stuff. I've worked with Aaron and Bryan and been happy - you can also try to get to Billy as he loves this stuff too, but just know you're basically asking for director of engineering at that point. You should also talk to them about their conical springs especially if you're staying in that mid to upper 600 lift range.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just went 9.80@137 in our '80 malibu station wagon lifting once at the 60' to get it off the bumper with our ls3 based 416 running 91 octane at 11.4:1 compression and a .640" lift 243 intake lobe hydraulic roller. Just a victor Jr with a holley 750 on it and FED's smallest ported ls3 heads. Your mustang will be mid to low 9's once you're done rubbing on it. Good luck with your project!
Tony Corley (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:58 AM
Teching In

No, but they've been tested thoroughly up over 10k rpm during Comp's spintron development. Due to the nesting pushrod they claim they perform on the spintron like a much larger pushrod. The varying diameter helps break up natural frequencies and effectively shortens the length when it comes to buckling calculations. I've listened to some podcasts with Billy Godbold from Comp and he said basically it looks like the dumbest thing you could possibly design for a pushrod, but blew them away when it was tested.

The BSR shaft rocker design is something that has been done since the 60's (very successfully). It is basically like a lot of the shaft rocker systems out there already for the LS stuff, but uses a lightweight low mass rocker arm and bolts to the factory head reducing the cost over the other shaft rocker systems. I personally do not like the aluminum stuff and I know a lot in this thread already would agree with me. They will work and have been proven to work, but not my preference. Order of what I want - low mass steel sliding rockers, 2nd adjustable steel rocker roller tip (only when needed), last place would be aluminum roller tip.

If you prefer to stick with a traditional pushrod and shaft rocker setup with an adjuster I would look at the Crowers for a nice middle ground steel rocker setup that isn't going to bankrupt you like a Jesel setup would.

At the lift range you're in you do not need a roller tip IMO. After lash and deflection you'll be around .650 lift. With the added stability of the BSR system Comp says you can push it up to 660-670 with the sliding tip and the geometry is happy. If you go with a roller tip shaft rocker setup you really have no reason not to go to ~750 lift, get PAC 1209x or even their 1237/8x drag race springs and get after it.

I wish I had first hand experience for you to share, but I don't get to build engines very often because it all comes out of my pocket. If I ever have another $15-20k to light on fire I do want to build a small cube engine using these valvetrain parts that'll rev to 9k+. Ideally with the biggest TVS supercharger on top that they make at the time - 2650 right now, maybe 3100 when I get around to it. Think blown LS with a power curve like the new GT500 pulling to 9k+.

In my opinion everyone is overlooking these valvetrain parts right now. Comp really just needs to come out with a roller tip BSR setup and allow for 700+ lift solid roller setups with zero maintenance and it would change everything.

I'd call Comp until you get to someone that can talk to you seriously about this stuff. I've worked with Aaron and Bryan and been happy - you can also try to get to Billy as he loves this stuff too, but just know you're basically asking for director of engineering at that point. You should also talk to them about their conical springs especially if you're staying in that mid to upper 600 lift range.
I appreciate the feedback and will look into these also. I’ve ran aluminum Jesel ‘s shafts on everything from a 6 second nitrous 421 SBC to 706 NA TD engines with great results. This just isn’t that kind of build. Something just to bracket race. I was leaning towards stud mount because they are simple. Just wasn’t sure if there were any issues using them on the LS. (Like possible mounting pad issues) Seems like no issue, so most likely will go that way

Last edited by Tony Corley; 03-19-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:18 PM
Teching In

I just went 9.80@137 in our '80 malibu station wagon lifting once at the 60' to get it off the bumper with our ls3 based 416 running 91 octane at 11.4:1 compression and a .640" lift 243 intake lobe hydraulic roller. Just a victor Jr with a holley 750 on it and FED's smallest ported ls3 heads. Your mustang will be mid to low 9's once you're done rubbing on it. Good luck with your project!
What weight, and what transmission?
Old 03-19-2021, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Corley
What weight, and what transmission?
Guessing at around 3100 with driver and a powerglide, A1 converter, 4.56 gears and a 29 x 9 hoosier. Used to run M stock with an all iron 305 at if I remember right 3290 min weight and needed some lead to get there. I mention converter because that's the only way the combo works lol. It isn't chassis certed so we made a couple passes to see what it'd do in nice air and now it is turned back down again. We index and bracket race it in everything we can just a real mild combo that could drop in a street car if you wanted. The engine made 660 on the engine dyno and should run forever.

Will be at the Spring Fling Million in Vegas next week with the wagon and our Davis '27 roadster.

Tony Corley (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 02:33 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=spanks13;20337492]Guessing at around 3100 with driver and a powerglide, A1 converter, 4.56 gears and a 29 x 9 hoosier. Used to run M stock with an all iron 305 at if I remember right 3290 min weight and needed some lead to get there. I mention converter because that's the only way the combo works lol. It isn't chassis certed so we made a couple passes to see what it'd do in nice air and now it is turned back down again. We index and bracket race it in everything we can just a real mild combo that could drop in a street car if you wanted. The engine made 660 on the engine dyno and should run forever.

Will be at the Spring Fling Million in Vegas next week with the wagon and our Davis '27 roadster.

Sounds like a good, solid combo. I’m running a glide, 10.5 x 28 M/T (going to try a Hoosier); 4:10 gears for now, and since I live in Columbia SC, I’ll use a converter from Cameron. He’s here in town. Thanks for the information and good luck in Vegas. (BTW, love the ‘27’s. I had a Brogie ‘27 back in the 80’s.)
Old 03-19-2021, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Tony Corley;20337522]
Guessing at around 3100 with driver and a powerglide, A1 converter, 4.56 gears and a 29 x 9 hoosier. Used to run M stock with an all iron 305 at if I remember right 3290 min weight and needed some lead to get there. I mention converter because that's the only way the combo works lol. It isn't chassis certed so we made a couple passes to see what it'd do in nice air and now it is turned back down again. We index and bracket race it in everything we can just a real mild combo that could drop in a street car if you wanted. The engine made 660 on the engine dyno and should run forever.

Sounds like a good, solid combo. I’m running a glide, 10.5 x 28 M/T (going to try a Hoosier); 4:10 gears for now, and since I live in Columbia SC, I’ll use a converter from Cameron. He’s here in town. Thanks for the information and good luck in Vegas. (BTW, love the ‘27’s. I had a Brogie ‘27 back in the 80’s.)
Awesome! My dad won three national events between 97 and 2000 in his buddy's Brogie with my dad's engine. He took the engine back and bought the Davis in 2000. It has been a great car. I can't believe how long we've owned it. Took a lot of effort to make it a good bracket car, but it is deadly now. We just ran 8.16 at 164 with his pump gas 532 combo leaving on reduced power because we can't keep the front end down running wide open. Would love to know what it would run in a corvette roadster that actually has good aero. Seems to be our thing to try and race cars with the worst aero possible.
Tony Corley (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts

Warren Brogie was the man.
Tony Corley (03-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Adjustable Rocker options