Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L96 6.0 wiseco pro tru piston wrist pins?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L96 6.0 wiseco pro tru piston wrist pins?

Hi everyone, ive been reading the forum for a while but now first post. English is not my native language but i hope u will understand haha... So first some quick info about the project; I have a daily driver 98 GMC suburban c1500 for what im building a L96 6.0 + 6L90e swap, she weights a hefty 6000lbs. Its going to be N/A setup at first, probably for a few years but will get china twin turbos with intercooler later, so i want to build the bottom end ready to handle the forced induction later. The power im after is about 750-800whp with FI and that will probably be too much for the trans lol..

The fuel used will be E85 but it would be nice to still be able to use 93oct pump gas necessary (here in Finland called 98oct at pump). The low compression ratio of stock L96 (9.6:1) made me want to change pistons to get >11:1 CR and i wanted to still use stock rods so i bought Wiseco pro tru PTS523AS piston kit, i dont have them yet.

The question is about wisecos stock pins that comes with the kit, ive read the pins are .150" wall thickness and .945" diameter. I think the stock gen iv wrist pins are thicker(?) and are known to last +1000hp, but i cant use the stock oem wrist pins that i have with these wiseco pistons since they are slightly smaller .943" dia. and i need to hone the stock rods to fit slightly bigger wisecos .945" dia. pins...

THE QUESTION: Do you guys think these wiseco pins with .150" wall thickness are strong enough for my goals to get a 6000lbs vehicle have 800whp, when its not going to see any real drag racing other than rarely stomping the gas WOT on the street with 33" All Terrain tires that are probably going to turn that power to smoke before actual traction anyways?? Also its a small saving of money to just use what they came with...

Now it would be easy to just buy heavy duty wrist pins and get done with it, but i havent found wiseco to sell .945" dia. pins as for example "HD tool steel" .200" wall thick for these pistons, only those that are .927" diameter...
Old 10-10-2021, 09:53 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,570 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Wiseco offers a few choices in pins, in that diameter. You can contact them directly and ask questions. Great customer support. Having said that, I don’t think you’ll have a problem with the .150 pins if the build is going to be a street driven deal with occasional romps. Now if this were a race build with boost, you definitely want to upgrade to a 9310 steel pin, which is made for turbo or nitrous apps. I like the fact that you’ll need to have the rods honed a couple thou myself. I’ve seen a little wear from the Oem bushings in the gen4 rods, and truing them up is never a bad thing.

Quick Reply: L96 6.0 wiseco pro tru piston wrist pins?