Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What parts to do on an L92 that's out of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
On my first L92 swap I used a TKO 600. I bought a kit from Kiesler. They are no longer in business. The TKO worked great. Shifting was a bit notchy but still worked well. 3.73 rear end gears.
I'm not a tuner guy but as I understand the bigger the cam more the chance you can have low speed driveability problems. You can always put in a bigger cam later.
I deleted the VVT because it reduces parts. Keep in mind the L92's came out of heavy trucks and SUV's that need all the low end torque they can get. My L92 projects are second gen Camaros that weigh in at 3600 lbs.
The LS3 throttle body is a bit "prettier" with the right side aluminum cover. Both will work.
ECM wise I like using the stock GM stuff. You will only need the engine ECM since you are using a T56. Many are using the the Holley stuff and like it a lot. Your call.
Front brackets wise I go with 2002 Fbody FEA. Some go with C5 FEA. I like the Fbody FEA because it kind of gets the alt out of your face and down. But that's my personal opinion. If you use either you won't have throttle body issues.
I've used ICT for FEA brackets and they worked well.
Valve seals are typically included in the valve spring/push rod upgrade kits. Check with Summit or Texas Speed. I would replace them no matter what. You will have the heads off so run them down to your local machine shop and have them touch up the valves and seats. Then install the upgraded springs.
Starter wise it's not really easy to replace with the headers on. Also change out the crank sensor. It's almost impossible to get at with the headers and and starter installed.
Couple of pics. Orange car first L92 swap. Second is my current project.
Again good luck with your swap.
Thanks for the response. I figured out quickly after my question that the responder meant the valve guide seals. Getting the head touched up is a very good point and the starter accessibility is definitely something to consider. Might as well do it.

Your VVT comment pretty much cemented it. The E30 is even lighter than the early camaros (should be right around 2900 lb after the swap) so it seems like keeping VVT is unnecessary.

Regarding the brackets, I had heard you also need to do shimming for the belts to run parallel? Is that accurate or does the bracket take care of it. I also read that you need to grind off part of a bracket to allow the coolant line to clear the TB. Is that accurate?

Your swaps look immaculate, congratulations. I bet they're a real hoot with modern engines in them.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2022, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, what does FEA bracket mean? Google isn't helping me.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 2,438 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJOSH
Also, what does FEA bracket mean? Google isn't helping me.
Front End Accessory bracket. Brackets for alternator, power steering pump, and/or A/C compressor, etc.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 326 Likes on 238 Posts

Your E30 project should be fun.
I did a 99 E36 LS6/T56 swap. Great swap. Super fun car to drive. Bimmer Forums has a great swap forum.
Here's a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails What parts to do on an L92 that's out of the car?-bmw-almost-done-8-june-2014.jpg   What parts to do on an L92 that's out of the car?-img_0164.jpg  

Quick Reply: What parts to do on an L92 that's out of the car?