Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam housing wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam housing wear?

Normal spun bearings or just housing wear is typically in the opposite direction but mine is going in the direction of the block essentially to the back, its a little wear but i have never seen something like this before, just picked up the block sunday and its in great condition but since i have never seen this type of wear and couldnt find any information from anybody else on it and wonder if its fixable and i assume it is, also want to know what its from. getting my block honed and cleaned up aswell as my heads and is this something they could fix.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N3i...usp=share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JNy...usp=share_link
Old 05-10-2023, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 700 Likes on 487 Posts

Not totally sure what you're asking about?

Looks to me like a normal block that has had the cam bearings removed normally, and now needs a new set normally installed. Or am I missing something?
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Not totally sure what you're asking about?

Looks to me like a normal block that has had the cam bearings removed normally, and now needs a new set normally installed. Or am I missing something?
Just see some wear at the bottom of the cam housing pointing to the back of the block, at first i thought it was something from factory but i just wanted to ask someone and get their opinion, after looking at it there is a texture difference but it isnt deep maybe a thou deeper, if you dont see anything wrong with it than i guess im good, thank you man
Old 05-10-2023, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

"Cam housing"?? Do you mean the cam bearing bores? They don't wear...
strutaeng (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
"Cam housing"?? Do you mean the cam bearing bores? They don't wear...
I wasnt sure if they wear or not, but seeing those marks wasnt sure if it was something i should not, good to know thank you.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 700 Likes on 487 Posts

No, those marks are normal, the result of driving the bearing in & out.
The following 2 users liked this post by RB04Av:
G Atsma (05-11-2023), strutaeng (05-11-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Those marks are nothing unusual. Remember that the aluminum is very soft, and easily gets marked up when bearings are pressed in and out. You probably don’t even want to look at the top of the cam bore, as it gets scratched up pretty good by this:

Although I see no problems here, it should be noted that oversized cam bearings ARE available should the bores become truly damaged.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 474 Likes on 327 Posts

That line is either from some one hammering them out with a drift or from the parting line on the bearings it self. As long as they measure on size there shouldn't be an issue. The radial marks are from the machining process. Each housing bore has a specific bore size and bearings to match.
Durabond CH-10 Fits LS engines with, 1st Design; 99-03 Positions 1 and 5 Housing Bore 2.3260 Inch /2.3280 Inch, Cam Bearings

Durabond CH-23 for the 2nd design were discontinued and replaced by the CH-25. which are the same .O.D. but wider.
  • Fits LS engines with 2nd Design Positions 1 and 5 Housing Bore of 2.3460" /2.3480".
  • Fits LS engines with .775" Wide Bearings in All Positions.

Here is the pictures of the bore he is questioning.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
That line is either from some one hammering them out with a drift or from the parting line on the bearings it self.
That line is indeed from the parting line on the bearing. One say you can tell is that it doesn’t go across the entire width of the bore - it only goes in the direction the bearing came out. You will see that on virtually any aluminum LS block from which the cam bearings have been removed.

Last edited by StorminMatt; 05-15-2023 at 08:17 PM.
G Atsma (05-15-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,073 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by StorminMatt
Those marks are nothing unusual. Remember that the aluminum is very soft, and easily gets marked up when bearings are pressed in and out. You probably don’t even want to look at the top of the cam bore, as it gets scratched up pretty good by this:

Although I see no problems here, it should be noted that oversized cam bearings ARE available should the bores become truly damaged.
When it comes to aluminum blocks, I've been told by a couple of other engine builders that they prefer using blocks that have had the fewest cam bearing changes. They claimed that after 5 or more cam bearing changes, the aluminum bores wear a slight amount, increasing likelihood of the cam bearings walking. FWIW......
Old 05-20-2023, 08:39 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
When it comes to aluminum blocks, I've been told by a couple of other engine builders that they prefer using blocks that have had the fewest cam bearing changes. They claimed that after 5 or more cam bearing changes, the aluminum bores wear a slight amount, increasing likelihood of the cam bearings walking. FWIW......
I agree here. In fact, with my aluminum builds, unless the cam bearings are absolutely way out of spec…I’m talking gone/trashed….I leave them alone. You will never, ever get another set of bearings to fit as well as the OEM cam bearings in an aluminum block. I don’t care what they look like myself. If they are in spec…and I’ve seen copper showing on the front bearing before, and still be in spec (albeit was just a hint of copper)…I’ll not change them. Cam bearings in these LS engines are pretty resilient actually, with OEM valvesprings in place.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
MySons68C20 (05-21-2023), strutaeng (05-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Cam housing wear?