Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How to operate an oil cooler fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024 | 08:29 PM

Default How to operate an oil cooler fan?

I've installed a Derale fan/cooler combo on a 1967 Nova I'm building. The motor is a 2010 LS3 that's well modified. Roots blower, cam, heads, headers, all that stuff. I need a way to turn on the oil cooler fan once the oil gets to around 215 or so. I found this switch below. It turns on at 215 and off at 205. The question becomes, "Where to install it?" Any guesses? All the tee fittings I see online have an 1/8" NPT port, but that's not near big enough. Are you guys aware of any ability for the ECM to controll the oil cooler fan? Does the ECM even monitor oil temp, or only pressure? I know my BP harness has ground trigger wires that will turn the radiator fans on at a certain point, but what about the oil cooler fan? The motor had an oil-to-water cooler that was stock, so I naturally figure it still needs a cooler, especially given it makes nearly double the hp with all the mods. The Derale currently attaches to an adapter right above the filter. Thoughts? What's the best way to turn this fan on and off? I definitely don't want the fan running before 212F because the oil must get hot enough to cook-off the moisture.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Stewart+Warne...xoCcs0QAvD_BwE

Last edited by RedlineStandsDotCom; 01-08-2024 at 08:30 PM. Reason: adding pix deleted my text
Old 01-08-2024 | 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Look at people that do this sort of thing for a living, such as Improved Racing.

I don't think the ECM is the right way to approach this. A simple mech thermostatic switch in the line, that either bypasses the cooler altogether or routes the flow through it, is the way to go. A "switch" prob isn't the thing you need to be looking for.

Oil should be kept above the boiling point of water. 225°F or so would be about perfect. "Too cool" is definitely a possibility, and a problem.
The following 3 users liked this post by RB04Av:
G Atsma (01-08-2024), KnightmareLS1 (01-22-2024), rkupon1 (01-28-2024)
Old 01-09-2024 | 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

You could use this: https://www.improvedracing.com/10a-1...ose-lines.html

The highest temp we go to is 200F, but that will be a good turn on temp for engine oil.

Normally you'd install it on the line before your oil cooler. If you want it to be triggered at a higher temp, you could install it after the oil cooler. That way it's activated by the "cooled" oil that has already gone through the cooler. This will also cause it to cycle on and off more often though, as temps will drop more rapidly after the cooler after the fan kicks on.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 01-21-2024 | 05:20 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Maybe use a thermostatic oil diverter before the oil cooler and let the cooler fan run all of the time? If the oil is below 200F, there's no need to route oil through the cooler.

Quick Reply: How to operate an oil cooler fan?