Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Main Bearing Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Thats a King Si bearing. Not a Clevite bearing.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Thats a King Si bearing. Not a Clevite bearing.
My bad, didn’t look hard enough when IDing em could’ve sworn they were clevite last I was in here lol
Appreciate the correct info man
Old 02-15-2024, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sslow06
Might sound like a dumbass here, any reason I couldn’t just torque down the mains with a strip of plastigauge around the circumference? May not be precise enough…
That's not how plasti gauge is used. You measure across the journal not in direction of travel when determining clearance.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
That's not how plasti gauge is used. You measure across the journal not in direction of travel when determining clearance.
Figured, just a hare-brained idea bahahaha

thanks for the tips though! gonna get to work on it and see what happens
Old 02-15-2024, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 672 Likes on 466 Posts

it looks like someone missed a step in the cleaning process
This is could be a possibility as well.

The vat doesn't dissolve metal chips. If a motor blows up, and chips get into the oil system, and they aren't removed during cleanup such as with a gun brush and the quarter (dollar? credit card?) car wash, then they only have ONE place to go: RIGHT STRAIGHT INTO YOUR NEW BEARINGS. Butt if it made it 20k miles and then failed more or less suddenly, that's probably not what happened, as that usually causes more or less instant destruction, like 100 miles or less. Might be an issue on your next build in that block if you don't take care of it though.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-15-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
This is could be a possibility as well.

The vat doesn't dissolve metal chips. If a motor blows up, and chips get into the oil system, and they aren't removed during cleanup such as with a gun brush and the quarter (dollar? credit card?) car wash, then they only have ONE place to go: RIGHT STRAIGHT INTO YOUR NEW BEARINGS. Butt if it made it 20k miles and then failed more or less suddenly, that's probably not what happened, as that usually causes more or less instant destruction, like 100 miles or less. Might be an issue on your next build in that block if you don't take care of it though.
That’s what’s leading me towards bearing failure. At this point I’m ready to just throw it back together and see what happens. Gonna kill me not knowing why it failed and waiting for it to grenade again

Definitely blasting everything clean as a whistle before it goes back together. I’m always meticulous as possible when I build.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

The copper chunks you showed in the Filter, is not from the Rod or Main bearings you have shown. The King Si are an Aluminum Silicon Bearing. The only other place would be the cam bearings, unless you have Brass/Bronze Rocker bushing sleeves. Yes, Trash has gone through the main and rods but they are not the source of trash shown.

I would inspect the cam bearings. I suspect you have 1 or more that may have moved. I feel that could be the source of the contamination.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Looks like the swarf from a ls walking a cam bearing out. I haven't done that much on them but I have a few friends that have.... lol
Ya know hw someone always says, "he was such a nice quiet boy" well " it was reputable shop" falls in there. The problem is that
in a shop with more than 4 guys they tend t start tag teaming builds which is a recipe for disaster .... unless super well managed which
is hard, ya never know when someone is going to have an off day and screw the pooch on some small task and blooey 5
engine blocks were not decked right line bored right all plugs in right.......

Iffen it was me, at this point that engine would be torn 100% down to a bare and I mean bare block, all the galley plugs pulled
and rifle brush every passage. then solvent flushed till I got nothing but clean... I'd also bore scope all the passages
(A bore scope for a smart phone is < 80 bucks these days. see ebay and amazon....)
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-17-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Pay special attention to wear in the lifter trays allowing the lifter wheels to wobble out of alignment with the cam. I don't trust those plastic trays over time, I use tie-bar lifters.

Quick Reply: LS2 Main Bearing Failure