Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Build vs Buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Just buy the 800 and be done...

GM LS Compatible 427 c.i. ProSeries Engine - 800 HP - Base Dressed - S – BluePrint Engines
Old 06-09-2024, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Utinator
You might as well order a complete long block from TSP. It will come assembled, and with all machine work already done. Just install your choice of intake and wiring harness, and you're done. This would have been my only option a few years ago. Over the last few years, I built a small shop in my backyard, bought some tools/equipment, and can now build any LS combo I want. If you don't have this capability, then purchasing an engine is your only option. Unfortunately, it's gonna be very expensive no matter which company you buy an engine from.
I would recommend DO NOT get a shortblock or long block from TSP. They've gotten shitty on their builds. I"m rebuilding my 427 sleeved stroker from them.. less than 10k miles. Always had severe blowby and low oil pressure. Short story...the line hone was crooked, no crosshatch in bores. 0.031 ring gap on N/A motor with a small shot of nitrous, Darton sleeves looks like they was clearanced with a dremel and a punch for the rod clearance, about 0.006 ptw clearance. I have repeatedly sent pics and emails...no replies from manager.
Old 06-09-2024, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wow. Appreciate you sharing your experience with them.

honestly I’ve never even looked at blue print. Lot of mixed reviews in what I’ve found from people whose bought engines.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 252 Likes on 184 Posts

I just couldn't see myself paying between 15k to 25k for a motor. I know way to many people that I could get to help out on things I'm not capable of and the pricing of machine shops are not that expensive around here. 6k could easily build a nice engine that could easily handle that kind of power. My junkyard motor handles that.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After talking with machine shops and various engine suppliers I decided to go with Borowski. Ken was the person I talked to personally and from what I can tell from our conversation and what I’ve read about the company. This is my best option.

i went with the 427 with a dart shp block. It will be setup for n/a. Looking at around 730hp. I don’t think a turbo at this time is a necessary for the goals I have. There’s also something to be said for the simplicity.

I understand for the price I paid or for much less even I could have gone turbo with a junkyard engine just gapped the rings and sent it but I don’t think things are always dollars per horsepower. There is something to be said for the quality of what you get. I’m very optimistic about how the truck will perform and will try to document the project in a new thread.

I appreciate all the advice and people taking the time to give their opinion on a big decision I needed to make.

Cheers🍻🍻
The following 2 users liked this post by jcwilli:
07GTLS (06-12-2024), C5_Pete (06-15-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

sounds good. that should be a lot of fun.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 746 Likes on 547 Posts

Often spending more money doesn’t mean you get a more reliable motor. Often having others “put together” a motor ends up being a nightmare. There is always a lot of room for error and many shops machine work and assy process isn’t as good as the manufacturer. Often times a bone stock motor with 150k is built much better and will be much more reliable than something you have a machine shop build for you with aftermarket parts.

For your goals factory parts are fine. You are just as likely to hurt a “built motor” as a SBE motor if the tune isn’t right. Spending more on the long block doesn’t mean it will be reliable. Build a stock 5.3/6.0/4.8 with a cam and decent bolt on turbo parts, driveline, ecu, fuel, etc. Learn on that. Once you have it dialed in upgrade when necessary.

Having a 480hp “NA goal” is silly IMO. Use the turbo to do the work. Building the NA motor is a waste of time/effort if you have the turbo there anyway. With an 800hp goal you don’t need anywhere near 480whp. Bone stock gen4 4.8 long block with head gaskets and a mild cam can make 800whp semi easily on E85. You are talking like 225-260whp NA. Just boost the crap out of it. My 4.8 had a stg2 summit cam, arp head bolts (not studs), MLS BTR gaskets and the crappy small valve heads. S480 T6 turbo and it was clicking off 8.60’s at 158-160 regularly at only 23lbs. I wasn't even leaning on it hard. You really don’t need to spend much on the long block. Spend your money on driveline parts, ECU, and the fuel system. Treat engines as $500 disposable items until you hit 1200 crank or so.

There's def a time/place for built motors and nice parts. 800hp no prep racing is not it!

good luck!
Old 06-12-2024, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey what do you think will be the weight of your truck when it's all done? 3200 or so? Lighter?

Just asking because I have a 16 hellcat that is about 800 hp and at sea level on a good track it would run in the 10.20s and it weighs 4500 pounds without me in it. Ran 6.80 in the1/8 at 5000DA. That gives you some idea of how fast your truck will be. My mustang LS turbo swap will be about 800 hp and weigh like 3300 or so.and have fully adjustable suspension, converter, gears, etc.

A light car is like free horsepower. I think it's cool you are going NA. The challenge to me is seeing how fast you can get a certain combo to go given the power that you have. That thing is going to sound nasty.

Quick Reply: Build vs Buy