Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Comparing Truck Cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Comparing Truck Cams

I am gathering parts to DOD/VVT delete. I have been planning to get the Cammotion stage 2 206/210 cam but saw that BTR has an Independence Day sale which makes their similarly sized stage 2 cam about $50-70 cheaper depending on shipping and taxes. I have read lots good about both but a lot of people say the Cammotion is better because of softer ramps and the reviews on it seem to be much better for a daily driver. Is it worth spending the extra money for it or will the BTR offer similar results for less money?

Last edited by speedtigger; 07-04-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 12:39 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

I would have to see the full specs of both camshaft. I will offer this advice, the camshaft has the biggest impact on how your vehicle will act and drive. Get the right one and you will be happy. Get the wrong one and it will suck. So, I say ignore the bargains and stay focused on getting the best possible specs. If a camshaft with great specs happens to be on sale, then great.

As for BTRs lobes, they have come a long way in the last several years and most of their stuff that I have seen is well designed. With that said, keep in mind that valve weight from various LS based engines will vary. This can impact which cam lobes and valve springs that you choose. For example, and LS3 has hollow stem valves that weigh about 87 grams, whereas an 823 headed 6.0 or 6.2 liter truck engines will have solid intake valves that weigh about 108 grams. I have done actual dyno tests where the valves floated on a solid stem valve head that would remain stable on a hollow stem valve head in the same RPM range. So, do your research for sure.

If you are interested, here is a Cam Motion custom VVT camshaft using their XA lobes that I ran on the dyno with DrTuneEmAll a few weeks ago.
214/224 113.5+8 .553" valve lift
We retarded the camshaft 4 degrees at 5200 RPM and here are the results: Green is using the VVT as described, blue is leaving the VVT locked.

The following 6 users liked this post by speedtigger:
1bdbrd (07-04-2024), Che70velle (07-04-2024), DualQuadDave (07-14-2024), G Atsma (07-04-2024), Jimbo1367 (07-04-2024), NAVYBLUE210 (07-04-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-04-2024, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I would have to see the full specs of both camshaft. I will offer this advice, the camshaft has the biggest impact on how your vehicle will act and drive. Get the right one and you will be happy. Get the wrong one and it will suck. So, I say ignore the bargains and stay focused on getting the best possible specs. If a camshaft with great specs happens to be on sale, then great.

As for BTRs lobes, they have come a long way in the last several years and most of their stuff that I have seen is well designed. With that said, keep in mind that valve weight from various LS based engines will vary. This can impact which cam lobes and valve springs that you choose. For example, and LS3 has hollow stem valves that weigh about 87 grams, whereas an 823 headed 6.0 or 6.2 liter truck engines will have solid intake valves that weigh about 108 grams. I have done actual dyno tests where the valves floated on a solid stem valve head that would remain stable on a hollow stem valve head in the same RPM range. So, do your research for sure.

If you are interested, here is a Cam Motion custom VVT camshaft using their XA lobes that I ran on the dyno with DrTuneEmAll a few weeks ago.
We retarded the camshaft 4 degrees at 5200 RPM and here are the results: Green is using the VVT as described, blue is leaving the VVT locked.

https://youtu.be/Zudc_gBXUD8?si=1EuK1VTAnzxM_sMJ

https://youtu.be/LZ3BlzKgSXU?si=7x9pBXP_X-h2kkar
I should have given more info than the first post my apologies for that. The truck is a 2011 Yukon 5.3. I am mostly looking to delete the AFM and VVT and keep a stockish idle quality and run the stock converter with the 6L80. Basically just a good daily driver cam with some extra power in the midrange and up.

I mostly want to delete the VVT because I don't like how it drives at part throttle. It's like a switch that's flipped at 2k rpms and makes it hard to accelerate smoothly. Not sure an aftermarket cam would change that or not. Plus it was very hard to find anyone doing gen 4 5.3 versions of the VVT cams anymore, almost everyone was doing gen 5 stuff or gen 4 6.2 which I assumed would be a little too big for my wants. Looking at your chart there, its interesting there aren't any low rpm gains from the VVT like gm claims it was for.

Here are the cams I am looking at:
https://cammotion.com/in-stock-ready...206-210-115-5/

https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-ca...r31218110.html

Last edited by 1bdbrd; 07-04-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2024, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 358 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Looking at your chart there, its interesting there aren't any low rpm gains from the VVT like gm claims it was for.l
With VVT the camshaft is parked at it's most advanced position. Then, at a certain rpm, it is mechanically retarded from park, thus increasing upper end hp and extending the powerband.

On the 1st run he was running in parked position the whole time. 2nd run also started with the camshaft in parked position, then the VVT was "activated" meaning the camshaft was retarded 4* starting @ 5000rpm. That's why both look exactly the same up to 5k. He did not do a full run with it only retarded. If it had been, yes there would have been a significant loss of torque.
The following users liked this post:
1bdbrd (07-19-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 369 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger

https://youtu.be/Zudc_gBXUD8?si=1EuK1VTAnzxM_sMJ

https://youtu.be/LZ3BlzKgSXU?si=7x9pBXP_X-h2kkar
You really picked up almost 30hp up top from a 4 degree retard in that cam? Impressive. I have been intrigued with VVT, how big/how much rpm can the system handle before it goes boom?

Quick Reply: Comparing Truck Cams