Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Poor engraving on crank counterweight

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Poor engraving on crank counterweight

Hello guys,

Recently I've sent my 5.3 LS to a machine shop, after bringing it back, I found out that they engraved my name onto the front counterweight of the crank, poor job on that, the letters are all over the place like a handwriting of an 8-year-old, I really dislike what they did especially without communicating with me first. (and OCD is not a joke)

To grind it off, do I need to worry about the crank becoming unbalanced or is it ok to do it? Alternatively, without taking off any materials, should I use a metal engraver punch thing to engrave a bunch more tiny dents to cover off the bad engraving letters?

Would you guys say the latter would work better?
Old Today, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

No one is ever going to see it.
Old Today, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking do nothing to the crank

The machine shop did that to make sure you got your crank back, not some one else's.
To have the crank professionaly hand engraved would of cost $150+++.
So smile as you button up the oil pan and spend $150 on flowers for your best girl and see what that gets you.
Hope that helps.
Old Today, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,108 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Wade
OP- THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
Don't sweat that which nobody will EVER see or know about... unless you tell them...
Old Today, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jake Wade
I saw it sir...
Old Today, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Metalchipper
The machine shop did that to make sure you got your crank back, not some one else's.
To have the crank professionaly hand engraved would of cost $150+++.
So smile as you button up the oil pan and spend $150 on flowers for your best girl and see what that gets you.
Hope that helps.
They really should have tagged it with a card with my name on it so they dont mess with the metal ngl.

Now I really wish to fix it by removing it myself. I dont mind spending extra time on this, but I just want to make sure, will I need to have them rebalance the crank after grinding the engraving off??

Will it be a better method if I just use a punch to dent a whole bunch of small dents to cover off that bad handwriting? (this way I don't remove any materials)
Old Today, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
OP- THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
Don't sweat that which nobody will EVER see or know about... unless you tell them...
Fully understand your view, but I am very OCD when it comes to subtle stuff like that, consider it being my own problem or whatever, but I just really want that thing removed...
Old Today, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,108 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Originally Posted by kyo7
Fully understand your view, but I am very OCD when it comes to subtle stuff like that, consider it being my own problem or whatever, but I just really want that thing removed...
OK, but you do NOT want to do anything that removes material that would throw balance off. It doesn't take much at all to do that.
This is why you really must overcome your OCD on this and let it go.
You might consider it your (nonexistent) problem, but it becomes a real problem if the balance is thrown off.
You need to reconsider the priorities here. Trying to alleviate what is actually a minor OCD issue can get very expensive fast.
Let it go.
Old Today, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
OK, but you do NOT want to do anything that removes material that would throw balance off. It doesn't take much at all to do that.
This is why you really must overcome your OCD on this and let it go.
You might consider it your (nonexistent) problem, but it becomes a real problem if the balance is thrown off.
You need to reconsider the priorities here. Trying to alleviate what is actually a minor OCD issue can get very expensive fast.
Let it go.
Technically the machine shop should've communicated with me first, either by phone or email, to ask me if its ok to engrave my name on the crank, but they didn't.
Would you say I should just ask them to remove it and rebalance the crank? Technically it is their mistake no?
Old Today, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

This sounds like a really good machine shop. Tags fall off, or get damaged, a simple engraving in a place that will never be seen is an excellent business practice.

If you wanted to grind it off, you would have to grind off an equal portion on the other counterweights and the rods. If you did something like that, i would highly recommend you take it back and have it balanced. Grinding/filing/modifying a crank at home without the proper equipment will most likely destroy your engine.

As far as your previous comment about them calling you first, did you tell them specifically not to engrave the crank? I don't see how you going back to the business and demanding they fix the "mistake" would have anything other than you being black-listed from there.
Old Today, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I know it’s your crank , but nobody is going to be able to read it @ 7000rpm
as long as it does the job is all that matters
like my grandma used to say ,I want mount to a hill of beans come tomorrow
Old Today, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Onbusy
This sounds like a really good machine shop. Tags fall off, or get damaged, a simple engraving in a place that will never be seen is an excellent business practice.

If you wanted to grind it off, you would have to grind off an equal portion on the other counterweights and the rods. If you did something like that, i would highly recommend you take it back and have it balanced. Grinding/filing/modifying a crank at home without the proper equipment will most likely destroy your engine.

As far as your previous comment about them calling you first, did you tell them specifically not to engrave the crank? I don't see how you going back to the business and demanding they fix the "mistake" would have anything other than you being black-listed from there.
Aside from grinding it off, is it ok to use an automatic punch or an engraver of that sort, to just cover the whole area with those tiny dents? This way no material is removed.

I did not tell them to not engrave on the crank, but normally you would not expect such things, and the machine shop should've told the customer beforehand that they might need to engrave customer's name on the engine parts right? I know it may sound rude to them but they did do something to my crank that I never asked for, and it is permanent unless modified. And when it comes to blacklisting, I should be blacklisting them for also NOT communicating with me in any way shape or form before deciding to overbore the cylinders specific to a set of 8 pistons that has 1 of them being slightly smaller than the rest, respectfully this is unacceptable also.

Quick Reply: Poor engraving on crank counterweight