Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2005 LS2 GTO Dyno Results & Photo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:04 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
yes J rod I agree with you on that. I think the GTO should have been called a Lumina SS and shared body parts but with bowties instead of lions.

One of the biggest problems with this car is that its called a GTO, to some people GTO means something. Theirs nothing italian about any goat so explain the connection other then GM stole it from Ferrari. GTO is just an ambigious name like GTP WS6 GT350 GNX. They use it cause it sounds cool.

Monaro actually means something, a high plane or plateau.
I like the Lumina parts. I think the same sucks though. For Pontiac I think GTO was a good line to put it in. For Chevy I'd have called it either an Impala or the Chevelle.

GTO - Grand Turismo Omologato (Grand Touring Homologated) which was stolen from the Ferrari 250GTO which is probably one of the best Ferraris of all time. The name implies a car built to meet class (FIA) requirements. The GTO came out in 64 which was the last year of the 250 GTO production.

This naming is widely considered to be a very effective ruse, by which Ferrari convinced the FIA (international sanctioning body for racing) that this car was a version of Ferrari's mass produced 250 GT.

In the years this car was produced, the championship was limited to competition among mass produced sports cars. There were minimum numbers of cars that had to be produced in order to "homologate" the model for racing.

Ferrari basically lied about GTO production, etc... since they only produced about 39 of these cars. Anyhow, GTO sounded cool, so Pontiac stole the name. Of course if you look at the GTO is sort is in the same line. Take a production Tempest and make it into a race car with a big motor, etc...
Old 08-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought i would show you guys some version of what Holden and HSV(Holden Special vehicles) Can do with the Monaro. (GTO)
The silver one is called the Coupe4 its new And is AWD (270KW) 5.7lt LS1
The yellow one is the HSV GTS RWD 300KW callaway 5.7lt LS1
The red one was the HRT427 RWD 7lt based on the C5R Corvette powerplant This was a road race car it was never built almost 600HP
Attached Thumbnails 2005 LS2 GTO Dyno Results & Photo-02jgm210502172c.jpg  
Old 08-05-2004, 04:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J-Rod
GTO - Grand Turismo Omologato (Grand Touring Homologated)
I'm well aware of the acronym, I still don't know what that has in common with a 68 GTO or 2004 GTO and why that name is so sacred. I had some *** at a car show come up to me start asking me questions about my '04 then decides to tell me his '66 gto vert is parked over there "the real one." Get a life, people take it so personally cause GTO is such a historic transcript of life in the 60s.

They think a new GTO is going to take attention away from their classic, I think not. They want performance to back the name up, performance that is viper like. The '04 is the fastest GTO ever made, and highest RWHP.

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Of course if you look at the GTO is sort is in the same line. Take a production Tempest and make it into a race car with a big motor, etc...
Kinda sounds like the 04 GTO.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

man, I'd love to get ahold of an AWD LS1 for a new winter "beater"
Old 08-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Im sure we would love to send it but i did hear there is a problem with the LHD conversion with the AWD system it is only made for RHD the peddels would need to be swaped around GAS left foot brake right foot clutch right foot its no good.
But the AWD on a test from a standing start did 0-100kp/h in 6.1 sec that time was done on gravel roads. But when we build the all new model VE im sure the AWD system problems will be fixed by then.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
I would be pretty pissed off right now If I just put down 30 plus grand for the new GTO when they have the "newer" and better one coming out shortly...
This is why I would be weary of buying any 1st-year model car. There are almost always small, notable improvements the subsequent years.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I am glad I decided to wait for the 2005!!
Old 08-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Teching In

For those that just don't like the styling well how about this one.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 LS2 GTO Dyno Results & Photo-gtomini.jpg  
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

I just dislike the front end. Pontiac could have went down the hsv path they have millions of ideas.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

the AutoX body style is all they needed for the front e add some scoops...it looks much better...then they can keep it looking still like a sleeper...(THEY NEEDA BIGGER DOOR STILL hahah i kno it sounds dumb but its true chekc the photoshop that StoleIt had done for me....it really made a difference...) but itll still be comfy for the average working man and as powerful as anyone can want it to be off the showroom floor...so it getsplus in my bookk....the F-bods were much better tho and still are my fav.s
Old 08-05-2004, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=12376

that spoiler should go on the GOAT too!!!
and the wayt those tailights are colored did alot...now put all of what i said on the car...and walla MANY people will enjoy it better

so it needs....
the recessed grilles, Auto X body Kit, Hood Scoops, Biger door, blackened tailights, and that spoiler....and walla something id be very proud to own especially wiht an LS2 oh and 18" Chrome WHEELS
Old 08-06-2004, 04:20 AM
Banned

the auto x kit will be optional on select colors.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

I like the autoX front since i have seen it thats cool with me. The wing on the silver HSV is something that many Aussies dont mind, Cause here we have no wings on the monaro and if someone options a wing you got to laugh at them cause it doesnt look right looks fake. As for the longer doors im sorry i cant see that happning. But when we build the new VE you never know ?
And there are plenty 18" rims we have here on the Monaro so i dont know why pontiac wont use them instead of the 17". We build the monaro on 18" almost all of our high performence cars sit on 18" now the biggest has 19" the GTS coupe,

Last edited by SlickHolden; 08-06-2004 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn ugly
Old 08-07-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SlickHolden
I just dislike the front end. Pontiac could have went down the hsv path they have millions of ideas.
Holden styled the Pontiac GTO, with the Monaro's stylist overseeing it (Michael Simcoe). Interestingly, he'll be overseeing the styling of GM's North American products now.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
and the wayt those tailights are colored did alot...now put all of what i said on the car...and walla MANY people will enjoy it better
I doubt you and most everyone else would be willing to pay the HSV premium for that sort of styling. And just one bit like the spoiler or those clear lights looks weird on a regular car without the rest of it to match.

But wasn't this thread supposed to be about the engine? I guess everyone missed Nineballs post.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
i dont kno if anyone else would like this but i think they should extend the door make it a lil longer more like the Camaros and T/A's....itd fit better cuz theres that HUGE *** space they got there behind the door in front of the rear wheels....i would definitely go for the AutoX body kit...no doubt looks much better...more aggressive....and i think if the door was longer....and added a lil more shape....itd look sweet....i mean F-bods look amazing form all angles....the autoX body kit takes care of the front and back for sure...lowers the side a lil bit....but the door would definitely set it off IMO...make them a lil longer....give them a lil better shape..roudn it off insteada gng straight down...if anyoone else can picture this car with a longer door....and downsize the back seat windows this car would DEFINITELY Appeal to others more
I know what you are saying,make it longer and sleek....... BUT if they were streched out, any, they would have a Grand Prix badge on the side.....not flamming you 02WS6BIRD, I understand what you are saying!!!!!

They are short and well, kindly put,compact looking. Hell I thought about buying one for my wife to haul the baby around,because she's used to a her Camaro's power, but hates the lack of room!

I think bringing the GTO back is great, but when I went to the car lot, to see one,my first thought was I could lose this car in a parking lot full of Cavaliers and Civics. Park a Judge from back in the day in a Mall parking lot (God forbid anyone do that) but see if it gets lost among the group. When I see and hear about it being a musclecar, I have mixed emotions on that, slap a LS2 in a rice burner (somehow), is it a muscler car???? I guess maybe,if it pulls up next to you and take you to class ......But a Muscle Car to me has TWO things.....#1 power and #2 a presence that is unmistakable!!! Which in my opinion this body style lacks. The body kit helps but I think its sad they didnt push a little more with the look,they did with the power of course! I think they are trying to make up for it looks with that additional power from the LS2, I hope it works for them! Maybe I was flamming, but only Pontiac for not being perfect Just my 5 cents by now!
Steve Roark
Old 08-07-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HWYRIPR
I think bringing the GTO back is great, but when I went to the car lot, to see one,my first thought was I could lose this car in a parking lot full of Cavaliers and Civics.
The people who own the new GTO have proven you wrong already. People mob them everywhere with questions about the car wherever they drive it. I took a Yellow Jacket M6 out for a spin yesterday and it certainly gets looks, stares and waves.

The Judge could get lost back in the 60s when all those cars looked the same as well, in fact the Judge didn't have a radically different body from the Oldsmobile Cutlass (442), Buick Skylark (GS, GSX), Chevrolet Chevelle, and it had Pontiac styling cues. My GN doesn't look any different than a Regal of the same era, the last RWD Impala SS was a black police car, and so is the Mercury Marauder.

Some things never change I guess.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TriShield
The people who own the new GTO have proven you wrong already. People mob them everywhere with questions about the car wherever they drive it. I took a Yellow Jacket M6 out for a spin yesterday and it certainly gets looks, stares and waves.

The Judge could get lost back in the 60s when all those cars looked the same as well, in fact the Judge didn't have a radically different body from the Oldsmobile Cutlass (442), Buick Skylark (GS, GSX), Chevrolet Chevelle, and it had Pontiac styling cues. My GN doesn't look any different than a Regal of the same era, the last RWD Impala SS was a black police car, and so is the Mercury Marauder.

Some things never change I guess.

You are right, back in the 60's I guess the older cars would have blended in with the rest,so I see that point.
The questions (I would think) are more power, motor,and comfort Q'S than body styling,thats something only oneself can answer.....Do I like the way it looks????? Just because people wave and stare doesnt mean the world loves it! I stare when I see one and I might even wave but everytime I see one on the road ,I dislike it more. I dont know why you say Ive been proved wrong, just gave my personal opinion. Didnt mean to offend anyone,its how I feel about the car.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Michael Simcoe he made the Monaro, But he wouldn't have had the the power to make the front his way trust me its not his style. But he will be great over there this guy has some great ideas and his work will take some time to come forward but you will see it in a couple of years time as his influence gets through.
And one more thing the car is standard there isn't really a body kit on it other then the changed front and wing that is how we build it. The body kits are left to the performance guys at HSV and CSV. Down here when it was first built the car attracted so much attention people were stopping everywhere just to see them. When the concept car was at the motor show people went up and ask if they could put a deposit down they had over 100 orders before Holden said they would even build it. pics from 1998 VT coupe concept

Quick Reply: 2005 LS2 GTO Dyno Results & Photo