Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2005 LS2 GTO Dyno Results & Photo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a Used M6 GTO when I was looking to replace my wrecked v6 camaro. the GTO was quick and it drove alright but it just didn't really have the look or feel I wanted. really it felt like I was driving my parents Acura or a Mustang GT. just the high seating position, soft but still sport suspension, and such. I didnt' enjoy it like f-body's. I'm just silly I guess because I like the low seating position on the f-body. I like the brute handling and unrefined race car feel of the f-body. I guess thats why I didnt' like the GTO. I think I was hoping it to be an f-body replacement or more like what I think the original GTO's to be.

imo.. the problem with the new GTO is the name. thats it.. When you say Ponitac GTO it brings back a lot of history and means many different things to many people. I think GM made a huge mistake bringing that nameplate back at all because there is just too much to live up to. Just too many expectations associated with what many people consider the holy grail of pontiacs and for some the holy grail of the muscle car era. I really don't believe the very impressive HP #'s will make the new GTO a huge seller for Pontiac.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UnbelievabLS1
Oh.....you mean like the 04' was supposed to be??!! If they jack the prices up that much, they can expect sales to be even lower than they were for the 04's. I mean, the styling still hasn't changed enough to persuade anyone back into buying it, afterall, that was everyone's biggest complaint.

Personally, if they mark the price up to $38K, my bet is that the people that might have been interested in it because it is getting the LS2, will drop down the extra $5K for a new C6, seeing as how the base price for them has now dropped down to $43,500, and the 6-speed is now standard.

Pontiac made a move in the right direction by adding the LS2, but until they can come up with their own unique styling design, versus just slapping a 97-03 Grand Prix front end onto a Monaro, they are not going to sell very well at all.

Amen! I agree with this opinion whole heartdly, like someone else said, right engine+drivetrain wrong body. Come on GM/Pontiac!!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

nice#'s for the LS2 in stock form, but I just can't get with that body. Although that autocross kit makes it look a lot better. I still can't see myself replacing my F-Bod with the GTO, looks to much like a Caviler(rear)/Grand Prix(front) I'd just go for a used C5 2002-2004 before I put down the $35-$38,000 grand for that. Right engine, wrong body

Just my opinion
Old 01-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JayC'sG
I am a bit surprised at the dyno numbers myself. I Was thinking about it on the way in to work this morning.. (See, I'm obsessed and I don't even have my 05 yet!) ..my 99 WS6 put down 325hp (stock accept for MTI lid) on the ground (http://www.trans-am.net/jason/images/dynohalf.gif) . I would think the GTO would have dyno'd a bit higher than it did. Was that an auto or a 6psd?
350 to the ground is quite good.
the ls1 is rated at 350 , and puts down 290-310 in most ls1 cars (vette, 04 gto, fbody)
even tho ur fbody is rated at 305 or 310 or whatever number GM slapped on the sticker, its still the same ls1 that comes from the vette. thats why it dynos the same or even higher ( fbody rearend has less loss)

the ls2 is rated at 400 so, 340-360 is what u will see being put to the ground.

most cars arent underrated, fbody owners are just spoiled

Quick Reply: 2005 LS2 GTO Dyno Results & Photo