Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Sooo...I have an LS2 intake conversion idea...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo...I have an LS2 intake conversion idea...

Since the LS2 intake requires way too much (let's be realistic here) to convert... Why doesn't a manufacturer just make a competitively (hmmm...no, I don't consider FAST competitive) priced intake with the exact same specifications, and a 90mm throttle body to go with it? I mean..it's done...they made it. The specs are there. It probably makes more horsepower than the FAST intake, and it has already been done, so it won't take a gagillion-gagillion dollars in research and development.

Or perhaps BBK is one-up on this one, and their magical intake will rock?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm this would be too easy my man. A magical fix to our money pit woes?

Now that the FAST is out, and that the LS2 is out, and seeing that you could reverse engineer the BOTH of them, it would seem that any number of companies could reduce the cost of R&D by at least 65%. I am sure that many people would love to find a third option out there that mimics the FAST intake. The difficulty is finding a reputable company who has the QC capabilites that people trust, that is willing to undertake this, as well as any possible negative PR for 'copying' a product.

Hopefully you are right and BBK's intake is the golden band-aid for the intake market. We'll see.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Hmm this would be too easy my man. A magical fix to our money pit woes?

Now that the FAST is out, and that the LS2 is out, and seeing that you could reverse engineer the BOTH of them, it would seem that any number of companies could reduce the cost of R&D by at least 65%. I am sure that many people would love to find a third option out there that mimics the FAST intake. The difficulty is finding a reputable company who has the QC capabilites that people trust, that is willing to undertake this, as well as any possible negative PR for 'copying' a product.

Hopefully you are right and BBK's intake is the golden band-aid for the intake market. We'll see.
Yeah, I am anxious to see the BBK. It sounds decent. And so far, the LS2 intake looks poorly made for airflow from the pictures people are posting. There are definitely additional gains to be made there.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The bbk unit weighs a ton, is ugly and was poorly finished inside the ports ( atleast the one I saw ) .building it from aluminum was also just plain stupid imo.

I think BBk makes OK mustang parts and I had no problem bolting them on my old mustang but I dont think they have the ability to step up to the ls1 which was 400x better engineered out of the box.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:43 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Since the LS2 intake requires way too much (let's be realistic here) to convert...
Really?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z98
Really?
Yes. Really.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/206693-ls2-intake-ls1-pics.html

As far as the BBK piece sucking...I can't believe it is that bad. They have always (as far as I know) make throttle bodies that required larger openings on the intake manifold (without mentioning it prior to purchase), but their craftsmanship has always looked pretty good as far as I could see.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, its going to be a PITA to make the LS2 intake fit an ls1 block. different injectors, different fuel rails, there's also the need for a new tb. the injectors alone require o-rings, and the fuel rails require either you specially adapt them for ls1 injectors? and then spacers to amke sure they fit with the taller ls1 injectors.

OR

you can just slice off your current ls1 fuel system toward the back of the block(near where it hits the fuel rails) and convert COMPLETELY over to the ls2 fuel rail system(new rails, new injectors, everything, which would require tuning for the new injectors). also the new injectors have different connections so you would need adaptors for that as well.

either way its a PITA.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:13 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Funny how two people can look at the same thread and see two different things.

Oh well.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z98
Funny how two people can look at the same thread and see two different things.

Oh well.
If you are referring to my mention of the other thread, I think most would agree that is no simple intake swap. Quite frankly it looks to be a PITA. And I have a strange inkling that there may not be any gains with that intake on a near-stock or light build-up (over an LS6 intake that is).
Old 08-26-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

I know this may not be the same, but for 97-98 vette owners with return style fuel rails the conversion is even harder id imagine =)
Old 08-26-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

i remember j-rod making a comment on converting the new ls2 fuel rail system to include a return line....i forget which sponser that has their own aftermarket fuel rails, is it speed inc? should be able to help you with that.....
Old 08-26-2004, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

it would be sweet if someone sold a kit to mount a ls2 manifold on a LS1
Old 08-26-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

see tpis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>
ls6 intake w/ 90 mm tb
Old 08-26-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

well, oval tb
Old 08-26-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

98TXFBODY, see KJ@ SDPC's post on the bottom of my thread...here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/204789-sponser-ls2-intake-package-conversion-ideas.html

they're workin on it

Quick Reply: Sooo...I have an LS2 intake conversion idea...