Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How much for the LS2 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much for the LS2 heads?

Siince the LS2 heads are just like the LS6 heads (except for the hollow stem valves) I was wondering what the price on these are-hopefully cheaper than LS6 heads.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good thinking, these heads should be cheaper since they are the base model GenIV heads, but i've also heard they have a the ls6 part number, so who knows.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

They should be cheaper since they will be run on a large number of cars, and they are the entry level offerings. You will see the big price tags again on the LS7 heads.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lets think about this a little more...GM sells the hell out of those heads. From private buyers, to hundreds of performance and fab shops all over the states. Prices drop when sales drop. That's just how it goes. Until vendor sales drop, GM hasn't a reason to drop prices. I think if the LS-2 heads have the same part number as the LS-6 (which would make them LS-6 heads, not 'LS-2's'-obviously), than the price will stay. The LS-2 intake is cheaper, yes. But chances are it's because GM knows that the market for these would be garbage if they were $500+ as they aren't at all a 'simple' swap like the LS-6. A lot must be done to use them. LS-6 intake sales have declined drastically because of the new FAST line. Therefore, you'll notice that you can now find LS-6 intakes for $375 instead of $450+. If you dig...That's just how the wheel turns...
I've been in sales for a long time. I'm not claiming anything here, just my $ .02
Old 10-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoseUpChromeDown
Lets think about this a little more...GM sells the hell out of those heads. From private buyers, to hundreds of performance and fab shops all over the states. Prices drop when sales drop. That's just how it goes. Until vendor sales drop, GM hasn't a reason to drop prices. I think if the LS-2 heads have the same part number as the LS-6 (which would make them LS-6 heads, not 'LS-2's'-obviously), than the price will stay. The LS-2 intake is cheaper, yes. But chances are it's because GM knows that the market for these would be garbage if they were $500+ as they aren't at all a 'simple' swap like the LS-6. A lot must be done to use them. LS-6 intake sales have declined drastically because of the new FAST line. Therefore, you'll notice that you can now find LS-6 intakes for $375 instead of $450+. If you dig...That's just how the wheel turns...
I've been in sales for a long time. I'm not claiming anything here, just my $ .02

I must sadly agree.
It would acturally hurt a TON of people if the price of the heads changed.
Any head porter who has LS6 heads in stock would end up loosing a bunch of money if the prices changed.
For those who have true LS6 heads that have been done and are now trying to sell them to upgrade would hurt their pocket as well.
If you have a stage 2 or better LS6 ported head from a good company you can almost always sell the heads used for around 1800+ dollars because there is a 1200 dollar core charge on a brand new set.
That means at 1800 dollars you are only paying 600 for all the work that was performed, springs, valves, retainers, and so on. That is a damn good deal considering the parts are worth that by themselves.
1200 will probally remail 1200 dollars and if there is a drop dont expect the drop to be 300-400 I would guess 1000 would be the least.
Only time will tell.
BTW I haven't seen anything showing that the C6Z06 is going to have a different head used. There was the talk of a 3 valve head but now that seems to be different. If GM was aiming for a 3 valve motor and couldn't get it to work then I doubt then have had enough time make a new casting 2 valve design that works better then the LS6 head.
It very well might be the same casting with better springs and maybe a little better CnC process. If this is the case and I have no idea just a theory then you might see the C6Z06 heads selling for 1500+ from GM.
Again only time will tell.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Generally when there are bigger supplies of a given product on a market, price drops slightly. Price may not drop from GM, but I'd think you'll be able to pick up a set of LS6 heads a bit easier in the future since every C6 will run them, the market will be more saturated. C6 owners won't be buying up every set on the face of the planet as cores either. Less stress on the market, and they will be casting more sets anyhow.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are the 2001 Z06 heads on the LS2
Old 10-06-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would disagree on the price change comments. GM is making the LS2 the "entry" level package and now needs the LS6 specific heads the LS2 uses in much greater numbers. By the very fact GM is increasing production on these items, the per unit cost will drop and LS6 heads should drive down to LS1 prices over the next few months.

Todd
Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's how it works, usually...But there is just too high of a demand for them. The millions (or billions) of LS-1 vehicles produced over the last 9yrs are becoming cheaper and cheaper every day. More and more people are now buying them as they can now afford them. I'd bet more than half are either already are or will be modified. They're performance vehicles. The age rate of the owners of mid-class performance vehicles is very low. How do you think sites like this come to be?...
When demand goes up, price goes up, when demand goes down, price goes down. Even though the volume of production will go up, until the demand starts to either coast or drift down-hill, the price will remain. The demand is ever increasing.
I think if prices drop at all, we're looking at pocket change...
Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I would disagree on the price change comments. GM is making the LS2 the "entry" level package and now needs the LS6 specific heads the LS2 uses in much greater numbers. By the very fact GM is increasing production on these items, the per unit cost will drop and LS6 heads should drive down to LS1 prices over the next few months.

Todd

Its all about demand.
Do you honestly believe it costs GM 800 dollars more to produce a set of Z06 heads then a standard LS1 head? No way in hell.
The heads are very similar and have many parts that are basically the same.
Its not like the Z06 head comes with awsome dual springs, beautiful 300 dollar valves, they just dont cost much more to produce.
Check out the 6.0 heads which are the same heads with different CC's.
I believe GM's core charge is 600 on these. There is no way in hell is costs them 600 dollars more to make the same head and slap a different part number on it.
Once demand falls off the price will fall the same.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Generally when there are bigger supplies of a given product on a market, price drops slightly. Price may not drop from GM, but I'd think you'll be able to pick up a set of LS6 heads a bit easier in the future since every C6 will run them, the market will be more saturated. C6 owners won't be buying up every set on the face of the planet as cores either. Less stress on the market, and they will be casting more sets anyhow.

This could be true. The only reason it might not be is the C6 guys have no way to upgrade their heads ubless they have Z06 heads ported which will require a core and therefore will send their heads back to the company. Or if they buy AFR's.
If a lot of C6 drivers buy AFR's then you will see some LS6 heads for sale more often, and it will drop the price in the used market.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:24 PM
8 Second Club

Okay-nobody buy any LS6 heads!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

To answer the original question all LS6/LS2 heads are the same and come from GM with no valves or springs. They are part #12564825 and cost $841.40 each (retail). As far as "base model vs. uplevel", GM doesnt care about that in thier pricing. For example:

LS1 intake # 12561269 -- $786.92 retail
LS6 intake # 88894339 -- $656.70 reatil

From the best I can tell after 5 years in the GM parts business, demand plays no role in thier pricing schedules.

Now some good news -- not only are the new LS2's getting these great heads but the new LS4 DOD 5.3L in the 05-up trailblazers/envoys/grand prixs (yes GRAND PRIX's ) come with them. 05 trucks with the new L33 aluminum HO 5.3L non-DOD also get these heads.

So in the aftermarket we MAY see the prices drop (PLEASE!!!) but GM's pricing NEVER drops.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are talking about Corvette owners only, what about GTO owners with ls2s?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jd13
You guys are talking about Corvette owners only, what about GTO owners with ls2s?
Same difference, same motor, just with a cavalier look-alike / eco-scooter body...

Kidding of corse...
Old 10-08-2004, 05:31 AM
Teching In

Same difference, same motor, just with a cavalier look-alike / eco-scooter body...
Hey, be fair...now it has hood scoops! That changes everything!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:29 PM
8 Second Club

If GM is going to start putting them of 5.3's and trucks then we win for sure. Do u know how many of those SUV's end up in wrecking yards everyyear?
Old 10-08-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhysamedrae
Hey, be fair...now it has hood scoops! That changes everything!
Oh yeah, forgot about the hood scoops...Don't those add like 50 rwhp?...
Old 10-10-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh yeah, forgot about the hood scoops...Don't those add like 50 rwhp?...
Old 11-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Teching In

Hey Don't knock the Monaro/GTO, it was an unreal (great) car until GM decided to export it, now it's not only the US that gets the ugly version.
If no one believes me that its a great car, just take a look at www.carsales.com.au (search: HSV, GTS, Coupe).

Quick Reply: How much for the LS2 heads?