Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Track Results of LS2 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I refuse to believe this thing would perform far worse than an ls1 intake.. Something isn't right.

Peace,
Josh
Old 11-21-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by red91z
I'd be more than curious to try this with a smaller throttle body. I would say the 90mm throttle body is what's hurting you and not the intake.
I would agree with that. There is a such thing as too much airflow...believe it or not.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with some of the others. There is no way you would lose that much from the intake.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a log file of the run or anything? Maybe extending the MAP wiring is screwing with things? I don't believe a 90mm could hurt or that an intake could flow to much, it's not like overcarbing a sbc or something. Now if the intake just sucks, that's a different story. If you do have a logging tool it could help you see if the intake is actually flowing less air or if there's another issue.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to sell your set up pm me. I will give you my tb, but my ls6 is already sold. I need this thing now.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by P Mack
Do you have a log file of the run or anything? Maybe extending the MAP wiring is screwing with things? I don't believe a 90mm could hurt or that an intake could flow to much, it's not like overcarbing a sbc or something. Now if the intake just sucks, that's a different story. If you do have a logging tool it could help you see if the intake is actually flowing less air or if there's another issue.

This did cross my mind. However, it was tuned on the dyno and it was not doing anything strange there. We messed with the timing and fuel alot to get some better numbers.
Baseline pull with the mailorder tune for the LS6 intake Was 377rwhp/349rwtq.
The AFR was 12.1 at the tailpipe.

Final numbers after tuning 399.8rwhp/389rwtq AFR was 13.4 at the tail pipe.
Timing was @ 29 degrees. It made 4 hp less with 31 degrees. And that was last night. I drove the car home n parked it. I woke up and washed it and drove to the track, bolted the slicks on, adjusted the shocks n made some passes.

I wish I could say that it is something else. Right now I am at a loss. This is the only major change.

Brad
Old 11-21-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

weird...
Old 11-21-2004, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting.

I think you really need that bottle

I will have some dyno results soon, hopefully with the LS2 vs LS6 by the end of the week
Old 11-21-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had both opened up for modifications. I can tell you in certainty that something isn't right there. The runners are about the same size, and the inlet is a full 15mm larger. Hell, the floor is even a little deeper (though not as smooth). The one and only thing I can ponder up with your intake findings, is that perhaps the three parts of the intake are not mated correctly. Some missalignment and the sharp edges it would leave in every runner would for sure rob power. The LS-2 I had apart was only slightly off. The offsets were just sanded smooth. Did you happen to eyeball the runner exits? You'd know of the missalignment I'm talking about if you did. GM definitally took a step backwards with how they assemble/mend the three parts. I believe it's called friction welding? Whatever the term, it's a terrible method for such an important part of the motor.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:02 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

man that stinks
Old 11-22-2004, 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

According to an authorized LPE dealer (21MC), LS2 manifold made less power than LS6 on a 427 motor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=947179
Old 11-22-2004, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoseUp
I've had both opened up for modifications. I can tell you in certainty that something isn't right there. The runners are about the same size, and the inlet is a full 15mm larger. Hell, the floor is even a little deeper (though not as smooth). The one and only thing I can ponder up with your intake findings, is that perhaps the three parts of the intake are not mated correctly. Some missalignment and the sharp edges it would leave in every runner would for sure rob power. The LS-2 I had apart was only slightly off. The offsets were just sanded smooth. Did you happen to eyeball the runner exits? You'd know of the missalignment I'm talking about if you did. GM definitally took a step backwards with how they assemble/mend the three parts. I believe it's called friction welding? Whatever the term, it's a terrible method for such an important part of the motor.
Nose up this is the only reason I can think of that it lost so much.

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. I spent alot of time cleaning up the ports and wished I could have taken it aprt. I stuck my hand inside the intake and the port inlets felt just as rough as the outlets before I fixed them. Unfortunately I could not reach them on the inside to do any work, even though there is plenty of room in there lol.

I am going to try and borrow a 90mm LSX from a friend of mine and see how it performs on the dyno(no garuntees on that one).

I think you really need that bottle
I do Louis lol. But not to make up for my losses. I will PM you in a bit.

Brad
Old 11-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Same tire size. 28"
4.33 gear in the nine inch.
Trust me guys all changes have been listed.

Those E/T drags are the Shiz!
Here is a pic from today
Pulling the tires and being able to keep the car moving(not falling on your face after the tire pull) are 2 different things. You said you were running QTP's right? What size? If it's the 27x11.50 and the ET Drags are 28x10.5....there is a HUGE difference between the two.

What leads me to this conclusion is that you said the car falls on it's face after the initial hit. Put some NOOOSSSS on it
Old 11-22-2004, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlkBeaSSt
Pulling the tires and being able to keep the car moving(not falling on your face after the tire pull) are 2 different things. You said you were running QTP's right? What size? If it's the 27x11.50 and the ET Drags are 28x10.5....there is a HUGE difference between the two.

What leads me to this conclusion is that you said the car falls on it's face after the initial hit. Put some NOOOSSSS on it
28x11.50 QTPs and the car pulled the tires off the ground with a 5000 rpm launch. It is down on power man. I know my car and do all of my own work. This is not due to the tire.

Brad
Old 11-22-2004, 10:06 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LSX
Old 11-22-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 915 Posts

This may sound obvious, I would make sure your throttle linkage is working properly and that you are opening the TB all the way. Just a thought.

Andrew
Old 11-22-2004, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
This may sound obvious, I would make sure your throttle linkage is working properly and that you are opening the TB all the way. Just a thought.

Andrew
Thanks man but I have checked that Many times. I made two different brackets for this thing and it is opening all the way.

Brad
Old 11-22-2004, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

If it can feed the LS2 motor that is only a few more CID it should most cirtianly be able to feed a large head large cam motor making 400hp without loss. Something is not working together here.

Nate
Old 11-22-2004, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

When I get to the bottom of it I will post up Nate.

Brad
Old 11-22-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dang man, I would have expected better results than that.

Did you smooth the intake ports on the manifold? Mine were very 'edgy' where the intake was assembled. I smoothed all 8 ports, made them a nice transition.

I hope to have back to back dyno numbers within 2 weeks, and a track visit on the 11th. I plan to take the LS2 intake with me to the dyno, and do the remove LS6 / install LS2 while strapped down. That is, if I can ever get it all together.

I'm hoping to see 10-15 rwhp over the LS6 / Ported TB that I have on my solid roller 383.

Quick Reply: Track Results of LS2 Intake