Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 402 short block at SDPC!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Kris @ SD ... simply amazing. Great parts and great price. Id hate to be SLP right now. Even more than I'd normally hate to be SLP.

Sounds like the SCD engine will be very nice (and obviously nicely priced!) - nice work!

Not to take anything away from SCD, but don't hate to be us (SLP) just yet We've been into our stroker Gen IV development for some time already...We wouldn't miss this bus

It is still too early to talk about dates and pricing, for a number of reasons. I can assure you, when our stroker Gen IV hits, everything will be tested, tried, and true for LS2 (we're not simply plopping Gen III parts in the Gen IV - we are building and dyno testing and working on a complete & functional package).

As for the LS2 blocks, they are different in a number of ways (in comparison to Gen III, LS1/LS6/LQ9)...some differences more important/impacting than others. Block is stronger than predecessors, bay breathing is improved (yet again), Siamesed bores, factory chain guide provision, bottom of the bores are a little different (note: be careful strokers!), etc -

Best regards,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails LS2 402 short block at SDPC!-ls2_lq9_402s.jpg  
Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
Kris,

What are we looking at for turn around time from ordering to delivery, and how is payment going? Is it all up front or 50/50? Emission problems for CA guys with the 402? After discussing this type of build with you a few months back before the 402 option I couldn't wait, now I'm beside myself! I would like to have a little more time with Q & A when you get the chance. Please PM me for a good time to call or my email address. Thanks, and great job!
I am building five short blocks up front to see how everthing goes. I have deposites on three so far. If you would like to put your name on one all I need to get you in line is $1,000.00 up front and you can pay for the rest when it ships to you. The PRI show will slow us down about a week but we hope to start shipping in two to three weeks. You can pm or call me with any questions.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Launching!

that photo was terrible, here are a couple better shots:

LS2_402_2
LS2_402_3
LS2_402_4
Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I see no reason why you just can't forget the KS all together. The SBC ran without one for 40 something years. With a good tune, it shouldn't knock anyway.
That is absolutely true. But do you have a black and white TV? or maybe you listen to the NFL on the radio?

Probably not. So might as well make the knock sensors work. And we will.

Perry
Old 12-01-2004, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much HP at the wheels are these LS2's suppose to put out(on average)? Or what kinda of HP is everyone looking at getting out of them? I know there are multiple factors involved, but just say with all descent bolt on's? Thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Launching!

I can't help but wonder what will happen to the pricing structure of the iron block builds once these LS2 builds crank up.......will the iron block assemblies currently offered by sponsors get cheaper yet???? When they start gathering dust in the corner of the warehouse I'll gladly help you out if the price is within reason.......
Old 12-01-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
How much HP at the wheels are these LS2's suppose to put out(on average)? Or what kinda of HP is everyone looking at getting out of them? I know there are multiple factors involved, but just say with all descent bolt on's? Thanks
Well, "all the decent boltons" is a really long and expensive list. But many of the iron 408s are in the 500 to 550 rwhp range.

I am using a TSP torquer camshaft and my TEA 5.3 heads opened up for the 4 inch bore. I was running 400 rwhp with the stock short block and will be happy with 460 or 470 rwph thru cats and a muffler. But bigger cams will do more.

Perry
Old 12-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Restricted User

Just when I started to piece meal this same combo together you gotta come out with a shortblock, assembled and balanced to make me reconsider self assembly! Great. Theres no way I can build it for cheaper, without having my own machine shop and not having discount prices on parts yet! Drats.
Good thing I am still in Afghanistan, figure by the time I return the KS issue will be solved, shouldnt be too hard. A frequency convertor of sorts seems to be in order.
On the topic of how much it will handle, I agree it shouldnt be any different than the LS1/6. I am hoping for around 550-600rwhp and hitting at least a 200 shot successfully. Yes it willl take tuning, fueling and other considerations, but should be able to handle it nicely, thats just my thoughts on it. In thinking of this aspect, some people are making lots of boost or Nitrous hits, but many are not making the NA power first, and that does factor into the equation of reliable power before release (nice way to say tearing the engine apart!). I believe, if there are combos making excess of 850 rwhp now, regardless of the NA power that alone is a testiment to the blocks strength. Time will tell.
Kris, thanks for putting together a hopefully killer combo and I look forwrd to doing business with you soon.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damnit im gonna go find a cheap ls1 car with motor problems I'll just skip gen 3 and go to gen 3.5/4
Old 12-02-2004, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

There were some valid points and questions raised about the reliability of getting this block straight out. I really do want to get this done, but at the same time I don't have the time or resources to continually bring it in for warrantied repair because of certain factors NOT factored into the build. SLP doing their thing is great, and SDPC has the best price out there for a 402 presently (only helps). What kind of R&D is going into this before crating up those first five to drop into the cars? Could the question of emissions be addressed in this thread for all to see? There may be others out there in the same boat or researching this farther down the line that this could help. Jumping WAY into the future, what about LS7 intakes? Prices, flow, date, direct bolt-on since for the most part the TB problem has been solved? Kris, don't get me wrong, I know where I'm getting the block from, but there are those nagging questions that eat away at us sometimes. I know it sounds really picky of me to want the best of both worlds, but hell that's what Americans are used to, we want it all, we want it now, and we want it to last forever, and finally we want it to be inexpensive. Damn Catch-22 sucks sometimes.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HPTuners recently said they were going to upgrade all users to the pro version which allows rewriting of the OS half of the PCM. Wouldnt that allow you to change the frequencies the knock sensors listen to? All we need are a couple reaaaaaalllly smart people to figure out what needs to be changed!

Sorry, Im trying to keep this on-topic. Just wondering if us HPTuners guys can reprogram our ECMs for use with the ls2 knock sensors.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
HPTuners recently said they were going to upgrade all users to the pro version which allows rewriting of the OS half of the PCM. Wouldnt that allow you to change the frequencies the knock sensors listen to? All we need are a couple reaaaaaalllly smart people to figure out what needs to be changed!

Sorry, Im trying to keep this on-topic. Just wondering if us HPTuners guys can reprogram our ECMs for use with the ls2 knock sensors.

Just curious - has anyone TESTED a gen IV engine in a gen III application with gen III knock sensors on the gen IV engine, in the gen IV locations? Geez, does that even make sense! I have heard the theories, and can appreciate/understand the reasoning...but is this all speculation or did I miss someone PROVE this? I've seen stranger things work out before.....Maybe we're all thinking too hard
Old 12-02-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Could be that we are over working the problem. But no, I have not seen any info on the use of III KS on a IV in the present location. The extension would have to have been made for that and getting it into position properly. That's where the problem lays. If it is tapped into the block where it was for the III and can listen in to what it wants in sound maybe that's the key. I might just go with a stethascope from the doc and duct tape it on and call it a day.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by horsepower
Just curious - has anyone TESTED a gen IV engine in a gen III application with gen III knock sensors on the gen IV engine, in the gen IV locations? Geez, does that even make sense! I have heard the theories, and can appreciate/understand the reasoning...but is this all speculation or did I miss someone PROVE this? I've seen stranger things work out before.....Maybe we're all thinking too hard
There is a sponsor (Andy) from the Corvette forum who tried it and proved the two were not compatible just by connecting them.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:17 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

There were some valid points and questions raised about the reliability of getting this block straight out. I really do want to get this done, but at the same time I don't have the time or resources to continually bring it in for warrantied repair because of certain factors NOT factored into the build. SLP doing their thing is great, and SDPC has the best price out there for a 402 presently (only helps). What kind of R&D is going into this before crating up those first five to drop into the cars? Could the question of emissions be addressed in this thread for all to see? There may be others out there in the same boat or researching this farther down the line that this could help. Jumping WAY into the future, what about LS7 intakes? Prices, flow, date, direct bolt-on since for the most part the TB problem has been solved? Kris, don't get me wrong, I know where I'm getting the block from, but there are those nagging questions that eat away at us sometimes. I know it sounds really picky of me to want the best of both worlds, but hell that's what Americans are used to, we want it all, we want it now, and we want it to last forever, and finally we want it to be inexpensive. Damn Catch-22 sucks sometimes.
I can promise SDPC will be sure that this stroker set up will work with out any problems before anything ships out. Honestly though, there is not that much difference between a LS6 block VS. LS2 block when it comes down to making it run. Lets go through a quick run down. The cylinder heads are the same, the rear cover is the same, any LS1, 2, or 6 pan will bolt up. When the first short block is built we will put it together as a complete long block to make sure everything is on the up & up. We will learn alot in a week or so when I start seeing some parts and get back from PRI.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

No doubt, I know you guys wouldn't just slap some stuff on with out thinking about the possible problems. I know that after a build and dyno run anything that doesn't sound quite right will be fixed and the change made to production blocks. Are we getting a break if we are part of the first run as test mules? Always thinking over here that's all.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KJ@SDPC
I can promise SDPC will be sure that this stroker set up will work with out any problems before anything ships out. Honestly though, there is not that much difference between a LS6 block VS. LS2 block when it comes down to making it run. Lets go through a quick run down. The cylinder heads are the same, the rear cover is the same, any LS1, 2, or 6 pan will bolt up. When the first short block is built we will put it together as a complete long block to make sure everything is on the up & up. We will learn alot in a week or so when I start seeing some parts and get back from PRI.

I would agree, and have complete confidence in SDPC as well - those guys are top-caliber.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:58 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

No doubt, I know you guys wouldn't just slap some stuff on with out thinking about the possible problems. I know that after a build and dyno run anything that doesn't sound quite right will be fixed and the change made to production blocks. Are we getting a break if we are part of the first run as test mules? Always thinking over here that's all.
Honestly at $3,995.00 we don't have any room to move at all on price. Wish I could but I just can't. In fact we have such little mark up on these, that if any of our manufactures that we are buying parts from have a price increase on parts we will probly have to go up a little also. This shouldn't happen until after the first of the year, and if it's anything it won't be much.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I wasn't really thinking there would be any chance but at the same time there is no harm in asking/wishing.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:00 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

I wasn't really thinking there would be any chance but at the same time there is no harm in asking/wishing.
Very true!!

Quick Reply: LS2 402 short block at SDPC!