Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Intake Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 Intake Installed

I gotta say... this better be worth it. What a pain in the *** this was. You'd think an intake manifold swap would take a few minutes. Nope.

Now, granted, I'm not stock... my heads are heavily milled, and I'm running a Meziere electric waterpump. I think these 2 factors contributed to my issues.

Here's what I experienced:

-I had to port the intake / smooth it out. The pieces weren't nicely assembled, it was pretty rough at the exit of the ports.

-Lower passenger's side TB bolt hole socket hit the EWP on both the intake and the throttle body. One of the pictures shows how I ended up clearancing the intake & TB, and another 2 pictures show how I ground on the EWP itself. I ground on the EWP, and then grabbed a magic marker to turn it blue again.

-I built a throttle cable bracket from hell. Yeah, it would've been easier to buy one. I grabbed the first piece of metal I spotted... a section of garage door rail. I flattened it, cut it, bent it, installed it... it flexed. So I welded the cross beam on to prevent flexing. I also 'missed' on the first 2 holes I drilled (had it too far forward, throttle wasn't opening all the way). Drilled 2 more holes, got it that time. I guess it ain't too bad for being made from garage door parts.

-Had to grind the throttle body cam to clear both the EWP and the PCV hose. It opens and closes smoothly, that's for sure.

-The Fernco coupler (part number 1056-43) isn't very flexible, so I had to open it up some to fit it over the SLP 85mm MAF sensor. Of course I had to drill it for my NX nozzle as well... and since it was thick, I had to countersink the NX bulkhead just a bit.

-Extending the MAP wires was a pain in the butt... laying on my stomach, hands way up under the cowl soldering wasn't much fun.

-The only thing that went "easy" was the fuel rails. A buddy had some aluminum spacers that worked perfectly.

It took me probably 8 hours to do all the work. The grinding, fitting, removing, welding, cutting, etc. But I'm ready to head to the dyno tomorrow morning. I've put the LS6 intake back on now, will dyno with it first, and then swap to the LS2 on the dyno. Then it's off to the track.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Intake Installed-ls2-1.jpg   LS2 Intake Installed-ls2-2.jpg   LS2 Intake Installed-ls2-3.jpg   LS2 Intake Installed-ls2-4.jpg   LS2 Intake Installed-ls2-5.jpg  

Old 12-10-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have any pics of the map installed and also what size spacers did it take for the fuel rails. what did you due with the fresh air hose that comes from the back of the valve cover if you used a TPIS tb?
Old 12-11-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a pic of the spacer. It's right at ~1/2". I did use the LS2 fuel rails. I did have to dig up new bolts for the fuel rails... None of the existing bolts could be used for it (either too long or too short). Fortunately I have a pretty good bolt bin in my shop. Also had to get new bolts for the throttle body.

No pictures yet of the MAP installed, but it's real simple... It does stick up a little, and my TB bracket does push on the MAP sensor but it works. I'll get some pics of the MAP sensor later. I put the LS6 intake back on the car to dyno first thing this morning, and will swap to the LS2 while on the dyno.

I'm running a FAST throttle body. Oh, another thing... the factory bolts for the IAC motor were too long. I had to cut them down too.
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Intake Installed-ls2-7.jpg  
Old 12-11-2004, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

We are on a similar path. Did you find O rings for the injectors or have to buy the big $ kit? Looks like 30# SVOs?
Am holding my breath on the dyno results---------
Old 12-11-2004, 01:50 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great with the coil relocation kit.
Firewall looks clean with no HVAC,I gotta do that mod to my car...
Old 12-11-2004, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same problem with mine. But since I already spent the $$$ on the TPIS 90mm TB, and didn't want to lose the Meziere, I sent the LS2 intake back and spent the extra $350 for the FAST intake... I'm glad you proved it could be done though.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I bought the O-rings from SDPC.

Well, plans didn't go exactly as I wanted yesterday.

I put the LS6 intake on Friday night. I thought I'd be 'clever' and set my LS1 fuel rails up with a set of 30# SVO's that came off of my 94 Z28. Well, I fired up the car on Saturday morning with the LS6 intake / old SVOs on there, and apparently the injectors need cleaning... the car didn't run for crap. I barely got it on the trailer, got it to the shop, and I swapped back to the LS2 intake before dynoing (no sense dynoing if the car isn't running right). So unfortunately, I don't have any LS6 intake dyno numbers yet.

And my day at the track yesterday was so rushed, I didn't get any NA times to compare (I was playing with the nitrous).

The car did put down 487 hp / 437 tq yesterday, with no time spent 'tweaking' - with the LS2 intake. That's about what we were thinking it would do. (my heads aren't the greatest). Put down 636/610 on a NX 150 shot. Took it to the track, went 10.30 @ 132.46 running out of gear before the 1000' mark. 4.56's and nitrous don't mix.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same waterpump and am wondering if I could just grind the tb swing arm so that it doesn't hang up on the pump. With ls6 intake I was touching it sometimes closed, but it was not a problem. I would realy like to avoid any grinding on the pump. Thanks for the pics and info. It is very helpful since our setups are very similar. Did you have any previous track numbers to compare the two manifolds on spray?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

What TB did you go with? I`m having problems with the Fast TB.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the FAST TB. Yes, I ground both the pump and the swing arm. I was *really* trying to avoid grinding on the TB (because FAST won't warranty it if you grind on it, and I know that a ton of guys have had problems with them). But I said screw it, and ground on it anyway.

I ground on the swing arm of the TB at the very lowest point when closed... I took a decent amount off of it. Left some metal for the cable hook, but ground as far as I felt comfortable. I also ground on the swing arm where it was contacting the PCV boot when fully open. And then I ground on the bolt location. Grind, grind, grind. But I did not have any problems with the TB after I did that.

I do not have any 'before' times with nitrous... I was going to make some nitrous passes at the Southern Shootout, but we didn't get any time on Saturday to play Only got to make 5 passes all weekend then...
Old 12-12-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool... that's was what I was thinking when I test fit the intake intially. I got the tpis 90mm so I guess I will just have to wait and see if I will have to do alot of grinding. My intake touches the waterpump, but did go all the way on with no grinding. Let us know when you get some motor times to compare with.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

lookin nice andrew bet that was quite a "fun" swap for ya ;D
Old 12-14-2004, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I bought the O-rings from SDPC.

Well, plans didn't go exactly as I wanted yesterday.

I put the LS6 intake on Friday night. I thought I'd be 'clever' and set my LS1 fuel rails up with a set of 30# SVO's that came off of my 94 Z28. Well, I fired up the car on Saturday morning with the LS6 intake / old SVOs on there, and apparently the injectors need cleaning... the car didn't run for crap. I barely got it on the trailer, got it to the shop, and I swapped back to the LS2 intake before dynoing (no sense dynoing if the car isn't running right). So unfortunately, I don't have any LS6 intake dyno numbers yet.

And my day at the track yesterday was so rushed, I didn't get any NA times to compare (I was playing with the nitrous).

The car did put down 487 hp / 437 tq yesterday, with no time spent 'tweaking' - with the LS2 intake. That's about what we were thinking it would do. (my heads aren't the greatest). Put down 636/610 on a NX 150 shot. Took it to the track, went 10.30 @ 132.46 running out of gear before the 1000' mark. 4.56's and nitrous don't mix.
Sorry to hear about your LS6 intake troubles Do you have any plans on getting the LS6 intake set up properly again and dynoing it in the near future?
Or are you pretty much done?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I may dyno it soon, or I may not. I'd *like* to, but I'll have to see how my schedule works out... I'll have to check out those injectors and see what's up with them. I had set the LS2 intake injectors up already (have to swap O-rings - they're easy to get on, but a beyotch to get off I just cut the old ones off with an Xacto knife).

And the dyno here in Waco is going to be uprooted for a while very soon, so I may or may not get to do it before the dyno goes away.

I'd really like to dyno both, on the same day, to make sure that I'm going the right direction.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

WOW beat me to it! I just installed mine today. I also have the EWP which I had an issue with. With all the issues I had with it on the vette I am very sympathetic for the fbody guys. Here is what I learned:

-I was able to use the stk fuel rails after some bending and coaxing but be gentle and it will work fine, when you lay it over the intake the bolt holes will not line up. But after some work they will. Also I fitted it with the stk inj Orings and seemed to be fine but the bigger ones might not be totally necessary.

-For the fitting I have angle milled heads with 12:1 CR and the gaskets for this manifold great to take up the space where I had to silicon a bit. I used shorter headed bolts for the valley cover (and grinded on the LS6 valley as well) though not absolutely necessary (like what is supplied for the FAST manifold) I felt it would be very close for the plenum sitting on top of those bolt heads, Just had a friend ruin his FAST manifold cuz he didnt put in the supplied bolts. The 2 manifolds are very similiar as far as underneath and plenum volume.

-EWP was the biggest cause for fitment problems. I ground on the right front side of the TB and corner of the manifold about 3/8 of an inch.

-The wiring for the vette was interesting. I used the C6 90mm TB and it has a very different setup all 6 wires in one connector. All are the same color to color if you get the same OEM pigtail, except for the red wire goes to the brn wire on the TAC module. and of course as mentioned you must relocate the MAP. Also had to get longer bolts for the TB.

I hope to be dynoing tomorrow. I do not believe that I will pick up HP as my manifold is stk and not as nice and clean inside as the 78mm FAST I had. I believe that I will pick up after some port work and possible the MAF swap as well still stk '99.
As of right now I feel like I lost ALOT of bottom end and here is why. The design of the C6 90mm shrouds the TB at lower TPS and doesnt allow much airflow until higher TPS. NOT BECAUSE OF MORE AIRFLOW and a bigger TB. You should not lose lower end tq when more airflow is introduced into the motor. Also I looked at the TB in a mirror as I changed TP and was not as I imagined, doesnt seem linear, like lower tps made small changes and much more throttle went faster to open like after 50%.

I have a few other issues with the car and am trying my best to give fair and repeatable results. Now for a bigger maf......
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Intake Installed-cid_671364403-15122004-3630.jpg  
Old 12-15-2004, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Hey, where did you get the fernco fitting? I'm going to need one to go between my 90mm power ring and my Z06 MAF.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JeremyF, if you had the 78 fast before, why didn't you just get the 90mm upper half?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

R&D wanted to see what the intake would make.
BTW the larger Orings are a must I noticed a vacuum leak around the inj even with the them.
I did dyno the car but with coolant puking into the combustion chambers pouring white smoke out the back that smelled real sweet. I lost alot of power but until I get this fixed I wont know the true results.
Jeremy
Old 12-16-2004, 08:42 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I guess it ain't too bad for being made from garage door parts.
lol beautiful
Old 12-16-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Hey, where did you get the fernco fitting? I'm going to need one to go between my 90mm power ring and my Z06 MAF.
Home Depot, plumbing aisle. I listed the Fernco part number in my post.

And you should have seen my throttle cable bracket before I painted it.