Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

cost of Z06 with 7.0L LS7= $75,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dipstick
So, can I buy a Z06 427 C.I. motor from my local dealer?
Back on topic:
Nope, not yet. There is some skepticism regarding whether or not they will release them as a crate motor. Can anyone think of a motor they didn't release as a crate motor? Did someone mention before the LT4?

Guess the LS7 crate motor price.

Last edited by NOSjohn; 01-25-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigPlanTransAm
GM owns subaru so im sure they could take the same t-case and beef it up to handle the power.
Hmm...
Subarus dont have transfer cases.
Originally Posted by BigPlanTransAm
or unless you consider every subaru on the road...
and what if they made AWD an option? those who dont want to get it, dont have to, but its there for those who do
That would cost GM a ****-load.
Instead they want to produce a race corvette for the street.
AWD makes the car heavier anyways.
weight is king in racing.

Last edited by Gen3Benz; 01-25-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM do make AWD. they are offering us brits (and i think the Ausies) a awd verson of the Manarno (i think its the same as your GTO), but only with in auto i think. now put a LS7 in there and a "good" manual gearbox and you could have a very nice car.

i do think that AWD can damage the handeling of a car, leads to pushing the front tyres to hard causing understeer, but i have only heard good revuse of the Audi RS6!!!! but then that does have 2 turbos on there. HEHEHE

thanks Chris.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i use the term transfer-case loosly. i think they refer to the part as a "center differential"
an also, once you get into the high horsepower like the Z06 will be, weight is not the king in racing... traction is. and if people want to have a little fun on the street, then AWD would be much more beneficial since gm probably doesnt want people doing twice the speed limit which is where a stock rwd car would catch up to the AWD car on the street.

Last edited by BigPlanTransAm; 01-26-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Teching In

I'm just curious what the new 06 Cobra is going to bring? 5.4L S/C maybe.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO, ford should fit the 4.6 S/C used in the Koenigsegg CCR. 800bhp and 670lbs ft! hehe.

Chris.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is all I am going to say on the AWD argument... read it, and understand it: the Corvette is not intended to win stoplight drag races. Can it be used for that purpose?? Sure... but there are plenty of cars out there that can do just as well (if not better) at that task for a lot less money. The 'Vette is intended to be an all-around performance car... which means that compromises have to be made; and, if GM's recent racing efforts are any indication, the compromise will lean more towards road (NOT street) racing than drag racing. Otherwise, why bother with IRS or big brakes??

The realities of AWD in a performance application are this- it's great on the street when you're doing stuff that you probably shouldn't be doing anyhow (stoplight racing; hey, I do it, too), but on the track (the environment where the 'Vette was designed to really shine) it adds weight, driveline drag, and complexity where it's not really necessary.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2.4LKBd03
I'm just curious what the new 06 Cobra is going to bring? 5.4L S/C maybe.
Yeah, and supposedly making around 465 horses. I'm sure it'll be easy to have well over 500 with a few bolt-ons. Check the racers lounge. There is a thread about the upcoming Cobra.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Just Sign On The LINE... Get it..
Old 01-27-2005, 05:50 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at the detroit auto show, the lady at the Z06 stand said pricing won't be out until June
Old 01-27-2005, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BurnOut
This is all I am going to say on the AWD argument... read it, and understand it: the Corvette is not intended to win stoplight drag races. Can it be used for that purpose?? Sure... but there are plenty of cars out there that can do just as well (if not better) at that task for a lot less money. The 'Vette is intended to be an all-around performance car... which means that compromises have to be made; and, if GM's recent racing efforts are any indication, the compromise will lean more towards road (NOT street) racing than drag racing. Otherwise, why bother with IRS or big brakes??

The realities of AWD in a performance application are this- it's great on the street when you're doing stuff that you probably shouldn't be doing anyhow (stoplight racing; hey, I do it, too), but on the track (the environment where the 'Vette was designed to really shine) it adds weight, driveline drag, and complexity where it's not really necessary.

AMEN!

LOL@those people that think AWD>RWD at the drag strip. Sure, you "might" hook better...say bye bye to your top end. Not only does it suck power and it's HEAVY. Also, to say there aren't a lot of RWD DSM's out there, and to say they're aren't the faster ones out there is just plain retarded. It show's a lack of homework as well.

Let's not forget about cost. They are NOT cheap pieces to replace. Would it rank high for that "cool factor" if the Vette was AWD? Sure would. Would it be practical and really have any performance gain? Chances are it wouldn't.

Quick Reply: cost of Z06 with 7.0L LS7= $75,000