Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

06 z06 vs fords gt-40

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignoring the rampant & stupid opinions (am I on ls1gto.com hmmm, guess not):

This is not a comparison, nor should it be.

Ford GT has been confirmed @ 11.0/~130 MPH…BONE STOCK including tires, with rumored better times already surfacing. Anyone driving a GT to 12.2 needs to go back to bullshit writeups on real drivers and stay off the roads.

I don’t think 95% of the people in this thread understand the –ridiculous- amount of additional power that a pulley and tune will put on these cars. Never mind that its peanuts in cost. These are not roots blowers; these are 2.3 liter Whipple twin screws, at 15 PSI stock BTW. Consider this: if a pulley/tune is adding 70 hp on smaller roots Eaton supercharger cobras (4.6 liter engine), that hp figure will –at least- double on a stock Ford GT. As it's mid-engine, there should be almost no power loss (if any) to the wheels. Pulley/tune/Cams on these cars is going to be huge horsepower.

Mid-engine layout owns. There is a reason a front engine car hasn’t won LeMans overall since 1963…

Z06 has 2 things on the GT, price and weight. I’m not here to take away from it (the Z06); it is a badass car. If it really stays < 70K there is basically no reason to own a SRT Viper anymore. However I’m skeptical about the weight numbers right now on it, everything else seems legit.

Props for no one using the “if I bought a Z06 and used the rest to mods” argument.

Last edited by 50 BMG; 01-24-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 50 BMG
I don’t think 95% of the people in this thread understand the –ridiculous- amount of additional power that a pulley and tune will put on these cars. Never mind that its peanuts in cost too. These are not roots blowers; these are 2.3 liter Whipple twin screws, at 15 PSI stock BTW. Consider this: if a pulley/tune is adding 70 hp on smaller Eaton supercharger cobras (4.6 liter engine), that hp figure will –at least- double on a stock Ford GT. And with it being mid-engine, there should be almost no power loss (if any) to the wheels as well.
that being said, most 427's with a moderatly sized cam is putting out well, WELL over 500 RWHP, much less crank hp. simple bolt on's on the new Z06 could easily bump the power to the ~6XX rwhp range. both cars are amazing, and we can only hope fords cobra can be compeditive, and the viper steps it up aswell. the more players involved in the horsepower wars the better the end result for us will be Although, i'm not sure on this, but the GT would probably greatly benifit from boltons aswell, being a FI car. Hell, i'm sure the new Z06 with a SC and some low compression pistions could tear the hell out of nearly every production car, but i'm still just dreaming sorry for rambling, i agree with 90% of what you said...
Old 01-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Teching In

I thought the whole thing was "more for less $$$" I don't see why anybody would want to buy a Ford GT for $150,000 and it only does 12 seconds in the quarter mile. So far I think the best way to go is 03/04 Cobra ($25k) drop less then $5k in it (KB, chip, etc) and you'll be running 10s all day long.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xason
I don't see why anybody would want to buy a Ford GT for $150,000 and it only does 12 seconds in the quarter mile.
First of all, the 12 second number is not accurate - that's been pretty well covered at this point, I would think. Second, believe it or not there's more to life than 1/4-mile ET's.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:53 PM
8 Second Club

Here are the ACTUAL performance numbers for the Ford GT... it's about the same as the Viper... the Z06 will out run both of them... estimated trap speeds are in the 127MPH range... you can read the entire Viper vs GT article in the magazine section of my webpage @ www.avigdor.net ...
Old 01-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Teching In

A Ford GT was purchase from a dealer here in Dallas, he paid $260,000. Thats $110,000 over MSRP and yes, the half shafts fell out of it. All of the Ford GT's are spoken for and $260,000 is what they are paying to own this limited production car. The $70,000 Z06 will be more mass produced and yes there will be Stealers selling the first ones for way over MSRP. I like both vehicles for what they are, Refined American Muscle that beat the hell out of the Europe exotics.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSONE
how is that not fords fault? are you serious? so ford decides to use cheap *** parts that cant handle the stress that its car puts on it, its not their fault it breaks? I dont know about you, but if i was building a production car, a $150,000 one at that, i would check out all the places i plan on buying anything from, to make sure they're not screwing up the casting process, etc. if this sounds like a foreign concept to you remind me not to buy any products affiliated with you or the company you work for.
Do you really expect ford to be responcible for other companies failures? How is Ford to truely know if all the thousands of parts they are buying are truely perfect? How many problems does the vette have, such as piston slap, locking columns, fucked seats, oil consumption.... Atleast Ford had the ***** to take action and recall them on their own, something GM has a hard time doing. Remind me, why is there a class action lawsuit for the piston slap problem? Because the General is too cheap to stand up and fix their mess? Why do people still use the column mod after they take in for the recall, because the recall still doesnt fix it?? Where is GM's recall for excessive oil consumption? Oh thats right, over a quart per 3000 miles isnt excessive Looks like GM doesnt have all its **** together either....

Last edited by Lostpatrolman; 01-25-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Hey LostPatrolman why are you in LS1Tech talking trash about GM. And besides we will see how it turns out when the ZO6 is tested. All I know is it is gonna be one bad *** car and for way less money than other cars that will perform nearly the same(+/-).
The new ZO6 will be even more of a performance vs pricetag car than it was in 2001. I doubt that there will be any car sold, not MSRP, but sold within 110k of its price that will beat it. On the 1/4, street, or road course.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im sorry, just because I own a vette and ls1 I have to praise GM?? I am not trashing anything, I am just saying it as it is. I love GM and their cars. THey are great. I think it is stupid for members to trash another domestic company though for a problem that they didnt even create!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Well the fact of the matter still remains the same. The ZO6 will be a bad *** car and I dont think any car has ever been built that will meet its perfomance for the price. And if the price is around 70-80k, then i also think that they will be a little less common than the ZO's now. Plus it will be there first year, so it might take a couple years for them to be seen frequently.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the fact that GM is advancing with thier body designs.
not relying on historic ones like Ford engineers.

Although they think they are advancing thier engine design by going overhead cam.
Which are short on power unless they are boosted.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lostpatrolman
Do you really expect ford to be responcible for other companies failures? How is Ford to truely know if all the thousands of parts they are buying are truely perfect? How many problems does the vette have, such as piston slap, locking columns, fucked seats, oil consumption.... Atleast Ford had the ***** to take action and recall them on their own, something GM has a hard time doing. Remind me, why is there a class action lawsuit for the piston slap problem? Because the General is too cheap to stand up and fix their mess? Why do people still use the column mod after they take in for the recall, because the recall still doesnt fix it?? Where is GM's recall for excessive oil consumption? Oh thats right, over a quart per 3000 miles isnt excessive Looks like GM doesnt have all its **** together either....
How can you honestly say that it's not ford's fault for using inferior parts on their car (especially one that costs $150,000 + dealer markup). If you just spent $260,000 on a car and your axle falls out i'm sure you'd be pretty pissed rather than say, "oh well, it's not ford's fault."
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vmax1500
Here are the ACTUAL performance numbers for the Ford GT... it's about the same as the Viper... the Z06 will out run both of them... estimated trap speeds are in the 127MPH range... you can read the entire Viper vs GT article in the magazine section of my webpage @ www.avigdor.net ...
What you forgot to mention is that was a pre-production version of the GT making 500 hp.

The production version runs 11.2 @ 131.2 mph tested by Motor Trend: http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...ro/index5.html

The bottom line is, the GT is a BETTER car, and it should be at over twice the price of a Z06. But, the Z06 is a much more reasonable high performance sports car. It also scores a lot better in the value department.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lostpatrolman
so because ford is trying to fix the problem, its not their fault

this has to be the stupidest argument i've ever heard. yes, gm has problems, we all know it and hold them to blame, weather oil consumption is because of shitty piston rings or what not, its still gm's fault. just as its fords fault for using shitty products in their cars. why are you trying to change the subject? saying "oh well GM blah blah blah" doesnt make ford any less to blame. please, either concede victory to my side of the argument or come up with an argument worth reading
Old 01-25-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oicw

The bottom line is, the GT is a BETTER car, and it should be at over twice the price of a Z06. But, the Z06 is a much more reasonable high performance sports car. It also scores a lot better in the value department.
I agree, i think it has alot to do with the fact that GM was improving upon a vehicle whereas ford built the GT from the ground up.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSONE
so because ford is trying to fix the problem, its not their fault

this has to be the stupidest argument i've ever heard. yes, gm has problems, we all know it and hold them to blame, weather oil consumption is because of shitty piston rings or what not, its still gm's fault. just as its fords fault for using shitty products in their cars. why are you trying to change the subject? saying "oh well GM blah blah blah" doesnt make ford any less to blame. please, either concede victory to my side of the argument or come up with an argument worth reading
No, the point is it is impossible to know exactly what you are getting from someone or some company when you buy. Look at how how many people buy a car, have a mechanic look it over thoroughly just to have it throw a rod a week later. Look at people that buy heads, look them over, they look fine, then they drop a valve soon after or break a spring. There are some things that are out of the buyers hands. Same thing as NASA, they spend billions of dollars building their shuttles and checking out the parts they get. EVerything they buy is top knotch, everything needs to be perfect. Looking at their histroy though they have been sold defective parts also and they have had their consequences. No one is perfect and there are some things beyond their control. I guess you can blame ford for not using their crystal ball to figure out which parts are good and which are bad.

Last edited by Lostpatrolman; 01-26-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 AM
8 Second Club

Considering that the Z06 is 300lbs lighter than the GT it will be very interesting to see how they perform side by side... from a power to weight perspective they are very simmilar and the fact that the Z06 is 10% lighter should help it in the handling and braking dept... time will tell!

It's too early to say which car is better... if the Z06 can keep up with the GT while at the same time out brake it and out handle it at half the price I would have to say the Z06 is a better car
Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

The supplier issue haunts EVERY large manufacturer that offloads to vendors. In my industry we supply detailed specs and requirements to approved vendors and there are inspection criteria that the vendor must meet to receive and retain an approved status. I have no doubt that Ford has a similar process. But, with the low quantity of parts being produced for this car, even a high percentage of statistical sampling will produce a relatively low number of parts.

As I understand it, Ford actually discovered the problem with a vendor and immediately took steps to address the concern - to the point that they are hauling cars for no charge, etc. AFAIK, there have been no failures in service. I think its misplaced to jump on a manufacturer for recalls - especially if they're voluntary recalls. I'd much rather the approach that corrects a mistake or potential problem rather than turning a deaf ear and sweeping it under the carpet.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone else find it odd that the GT has a redline (from the article) of 6500 for a 32 valve DOHC motor, and the 16 valve pushrod motor will be turning 7000+.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Did anyone else find it odd that the GT has a redline (from the article) of 6500 for a 32 valve DOHC motor, and the 16 valve pushrod motor will be turning 7000+.
That says "potential" more than anything else...

Quick Reply: 06 z06 vs fords gt-40