Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

06 z06 vs fords gt-40

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCVT
Newsflash! The Vette is not set up for drag racing, if thats what you mean. The reason the Vette would be the better car is IF it matches the performance or is even remotely close to it, it will more than likely cost about half as much, you can go down to our GM dealer and buy one and not only do you get the matching performance but you also get a car that is docile enough to drive everyday. THATS what would make the vetter a better car
Newsflash! It WONT match the performance of the GT. It WILL cost about half as much, thats true, but it certainly wont out perform, or even come close to performing at the GT level. Also, the new Z06 will be everywhere. While the GT is a VERY limited production vehicle. Also, how is the GT not docile enough to drive everyday?? Please try and explain that. I would like to take this time to thank, all of the true car enthusiasts for pointing out the truths in this comparison, and looking at both cars in a rational manner. The Z06 will be a beast, no doubt, and I would give my left nut for one, but for all of you riding its sack as if it will be the worlds greatest, it wont be, so dont hold your breath.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteTXMach
Newsflash! It WONT match the performance of the GT. It WILL cost about half as much, thats true, but it certainly wont out perform, or even come close to performing at the GT level. Also, the new Z06 will be everywhere. While the GT is a VERY limited production vehicle. Also, how is the GT not docile enough to drive everyday?? Please try and explain that. I would like to take this time to thank, all of the true car enthusiasts for pointing out the truths in this comparison, and looking at both cars in a rational manner. The Z06 will be a beast, no doubt, and I would give my left nut for one, but for all of you riding its sack as if it will be the worlds greatest, it wont be, so dont hold your breath.
Newsflash, we dont know anything concrete yet, thats the reason I said "if" but I'll bet its going to be alot closer than you think. I believe the current stats on both cars are reason enough to think it would be a pretty close battle. Stats dont tell the whole story but it sure is a good starting point. I also think its a little short sighted to say "it wont even be close". As far as driveability, based on the test drives I have seen, with little to no sound deadening and an engine sitting a short distance from your head, just the noise alone will probalby be twice as worse as the vette. Also, although I obviously haven't driven either, due to the differing objectives of the cars the GT will probably have a much less compliant ride than that of the Z06. These should not be purchase directive variables but they are differences none the less. I didn't think we were talking about the EVER Present EXClUSIVITY, I thought we were talking about the performance. I can already tell you it wont be the greatest but I can guarantee you that the Z06 will be a MUCH cheaper alternative to the GT and will be close in performance. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

Last edited by GMCVT; 01-29-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Additionally let me say, I think the Ford GT is a really sweet car. I'm not bashing it. I WOULD say, just as the Cobra R's, its a little overpriced, BUT it really isn't as compared to anything the other side of the ocean has to offer. I guess GM is just offering similar (I think) performance for a whole lot less than anybody else. Now lets just say that the GT goes out and skunks the Z06, then its a whole different story. I dont think that will happen but ultimately its just speculation right now. So again, not flaming the GT.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I think the GT is a bad *** car also. But I also think that GM performanceis about getting the most you can for your money. And if the new ZO6 does do as it was estimated 11.7@127, then thats damn close to what the ford GT did 116@128. And as far as i've been able to ascertain the ford GT cant be found without atleast a $75k-$100k markup. That was also in Hemmings Muscle Machines. And I would like to also point out that the Ford GT in the magazine also broke down on them while testing out the vehicle.

And please remember this when you talk about its not all just about 1/4 mile. The first ZO6 wasn't made for 1/4 mile. It was made for the road course and did a very good job. Why would this new ZO6 be any different. Well it'll be a bit different because it is based a good amount on the C6R. Which is only a road racer. So I expect this new ZO6 to be geared a great deal towards road racing. And I am pretty sure that the ZO6 will have a closer ratio transmission, which will make it perform a bit better on the track and strip. I'll have to pick up the magazine today and get the gearing specifics on the Ford GT. More info will follow.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Neither car is setup for drag racing. I can't believe thats even a discussion point.

And the GT is -damn- cheap. Anyone who thinks its overpriced needs to look at other cars in the GT's league (Lambo Murc., Carerra GT, S7 etc). Compare the weight, 0-60 and true 1/4 mile times of the GT to the Enzo. Seems to me the GT is way underrated for hp, although the Carrera/Enzo I'm sure is noticably quicker in the corners due to braking and weight for starters. Just a pulley swap on the GT and its gonna be damn hard to catch it in a straight line.

And FYI they are going for ~185,000 on ebay now. MSRP (which is 139,000 BTW) isn't far away.

and lmao at the amenities thing...first thing I'm doing is taking out that ridiculous subwoffer and having something made to cover up the hole. Amenities on the GT are a laugh, and in my opinion discouraged . 3500 dollars for a single CD McIntosh system (lmao) and over 8 grand for both stripe kits on the car (lmao more). This is a racing automobile, a modern throwback to the classic era, not a daily driver with navigation and seat warmers.

The Z06 will always be close in your minds. It's never enough over here; you guys finally get the car that really beats the viper and have always had THE classic American sportscar. Yet I see over here the superior car is the better daily driver, more amenities, better availability, more refined, superior brand name or whatever other bullshit assumption/opinion I missed.

And the never ending holy mission of proving that the vette is better than anything else ever built continues...

Last edited by 50 BMG; 01-29-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're being ignorant
http://search.ebay.com/ford-gt_W0QQf...fsooZ2QQfsopZ3

yep, they're all going for $180,000 alright

If you think the GT is "damn cheap" i would appreciate it if you could send me a couple grand, you can obviously afford it.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSONE
you're being ignorant

If you think the GT is "damn cheap" i would appreciate it if you could send me a couple grand, you can obviously afford it.
Only people being "ignorant" are the people screaming up and down how the C6 Z06 will drag the GT in every way.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 50 BMG
Neither car is setup for drag racing. I can't believe thats even a discussion point.

And the GT is -damn- cheap. Anyone who thinks its overpriced needs to look at other cars in the GT's league (Lambo Murc., Carerra GT, S7 etc). Compare the weight, 0-60 and true 1/4 mile times of the GT to the Enzo. Seems to me the GT is way underrated for hp, although the Carrera/Enzo I'm sure is noticably quicker in the corners due to braking and weight for starters. Just a pulley swap on the GT and its gonna be damn hard to catch it in a straight line.

And FYI they are going for ~185,000 on ebay now. MSRP (which is 139,000 BTW) isn't far away.

and lmao at the amenities thing...first thing I'm doing is taking out that ridiculous subwoffer and having something made to cover up the hole. Amenities on the GT are a laugh, and in my opinion discouraged . 3500 dollars for a single CD McIntosh system (lmao) and over 8 grand for both stripe kits on the car (lmao more). This is a racing automobile, a modern throwback to the classic era, not a daily driver with navigation and seat warmers.

The Z06 will always be close in your minds. It's never enough over here; you guys finally get the car that really beats the viper and have always had THE classic American sportscar. Yet I see over here the superior car is the better daily driver, more amenities, better availability, more refined, superior brand name or whatever other bullshit assumption/opinion I missed.

And the never ending holy mission of proving that the vette is better than anything else ever built continues...
Actually, as stated earlier, the ammenaties should not be the defining reason for purchase. Performance is the #1 reason for purchase. The refinement and all that stuff is just a bonus. Matter of fact, the predicted performance of the Z06 is what has all this stirred up in the first place. Not navi, heated seats or any of that stuff. Its the 427 engine, the huge brakes, the light body. Thats what is putting the new Z06 on the discussion table. And the fact that it may very well be able to match or even come close to the GT in performance, do it for half the price and still have all the luxury items must really **** some of you Ford guys off. Sorry.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCVT
Actually, as stated earlier, the ammenaties should not be the defining reason for purchase. Performance is the #1 reason for purchase. The refinement and all that stuff is just a bonus. Matter of fact, the predicted performance of the Z06 is what has all this stirred up in the first place. Not navi, heated seats or any of that stuff. Its the 427 engine, the huge brakes, the light body. Thats what is putting the new Z06 on the discussion table. And the fact that it may very well be able to match or even come close to the GT in performance, do it for half the price and still have all the luxury items must really **** some of you Ford guys off. Sorry.
Thats just it. You are GUESSING what the new Z06 is going to do, while the GT has been verified on MORE than 1 occasion to go low 11's @ 130.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteTXMach
Thats just it. You are GUESSING what the new Z06 is going to do, while the GT has been verified on MORE than 1 occasion to go low 11's @ 130.
I agree, I have made that clear more than once that right now it is speculation and that only time will tell. But at the same time it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the specs and see that at least it will be in the ballpark. And also as I stated BEFORE, if for some reason the GT blows the Z06 out of the water, then all this discussion is useless. We shall see.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

In the end the answer is we will have to wait and see. And also, and this is to 50 BMG, we arent comparing the Ford GT to all those other cars. The topic is the Ford GT vs C6 ZO6. And if they end up close in performance then yes i would say the ZO6 is by far a better car. Solely based on the performance and then the price. Another thing to think about is, dont throw in that one or two people out of the many have been able to get this and that time. Try and use what the average person can do with the machine. Which should be around what the magazines rate them at. Because the last ZO6 has hit the 11's also in stock form, with a bad *** driver. But normal drivers can mostly only see a 12's.
And this is just an opinion. But I think chevy has a nice surprise in mind for many of us. I wouldnt be surprised if the ZO6 actually put down 470+ to the wheels. Which would definately put it in the ballpark of the Ford GT, with less weight and better gearing.
But we shall see.
BTW has anybody ever dynod a ford GT and have a dyno graph to show. Curious to see what it actually puts to the wheels.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSONE
you're being ignorant

And you cant read.
My own quote from previous post, plain as day to see...
"And FYI they are going for ~185,000 on ebay now (meaning right now, get it?). MSRP (which is 139,000 BTW) isn't far away."

So where is the "they're all" you refer to? When you assume you make an ASSofUnME.

Next time you want to prove a point, post completed auctions. Ignorance defined is the link you provided. Lets find out what cars have SOLD for...Here is last weeks -completed- roll call. I haven't been able to check over the last 4 days, I' ve been at an auction. This is a cut and paste of my post from another board...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3&category=6057

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...4&category=6057

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9&category=6057

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...7&category=6057

All with what I consider legit bid histories too.

EDIT: This one sold today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6057
187,000 dollars. Isn't that ironic when I posted ~185,000 over 24 hours ago with an auction for 185,000 that ended on the 16th linked above... Stick to talkin about **** you know, which doesn't seem to be much because you wouldn't have posted if you knew how to:
1) read
2) run a quasi-advanced search on ebay

As far as me spottin you cash; slow down and use your brain. You might wind up with some money at some point in the future.

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
And also, and this is to 50 BMG, we arent comparing the Ford GT to all those other cars.
I know "we" aren't comparing. I was comparing them. And my point was to prove that the GT is not overpriced. The secondary point was the same point of this thread: The Ford GT -stomps- its higher competition for $ vs. performance in the same way the C6 Z06 -owns- the GT in the same regard.

And if they end up close in performance then yes i would say the ZO6 is by far a better car. Solely based on the performance and then the price.
Absolutely agreed.

Another thing to think about is, dont throw in that one or two people out of the many have been able to get this and that time. Try and use what the average person can do with the machine. Which should be around what the magazines rate them at.
Its a good argument but I don't agree with what it leads to... because it winds up getting into differing definitions of what average is.
I take the best confirmed times/stats into account. I like to know the limits of the car in question.

I haven't seen anything about dyno #'s on the GT since the widely spammed 565 whp, which was done well before the first car was delivered to the Microsoft exec. I don't have the sheet, but I'm sure its not hard to find. I also think the numbers are outdated as the GT is just as fast as an Enzo in a straight line.

Also motortrend just quoted 3130#'s as weight on their new Z06 showcase video. A must watch:

http://motortrend.com/av/autoshow/11..._corvette_z06/

The exhaust owns...

Last edited by 50 BMG; 01-30-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Just watched the link. It was pretty cool, the weight was stated to be 3130 as previously mentioned in the magazines.All i can say is that i cant wait to see these bad boys on the road. I also dont think they'll be that common, even if the price is about 65k. I expect them to take atleast 3 years to really start showing up. When they are bought used, is when most of the middle class budget guys will be able to afford them. Just my thoughts though.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

one thing we all can finally agree on.

btw the weight in the vid is 3130lbs
Old 01-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Well 3130 suprised me, everyone I saw talking weight @ another board was saying 3000 flat, closer to 2900 pounds.

I think the weight thing is out the door for myself then, the highest weight I've seen quoted for the GT would give the Z a 300 # advantage, with the lowest GT weight quoted providing a 150 # advantage again to the Z.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, the weight will be nice for the ZO6. Gonna make it brake and accelerate very nicely. and those monster brakes, god damn those things are probably gonna stop like nothing else. In case you didnt get that info, 14" six caliper fronts, and 13.4" 4 caliper rears, i think they where just cross drilled, but thats gonna have some serious stopping power. Along with those fat rear tires. This thing with a set of BFG drag radials should cut a nice 60ft. All i know is for the price this is gonna be by far the most bad *** car ever built. Lets see if the new Cobra gets a bump to 475hp. If it does then it might be on its way to being one monster machine for the dollar also. If they keep it around 35k. We will have to wait and see.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah, and its a great time to be a muscle car enthusiast. And down with all those foreign cars. The American muscle cars are back and kicking some serious ***.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

EDIT: This one sold today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...8&category=6057
187,000 dollars. Isn't that ironic when I posted ~185,000 over 24 hours ago with an auction for 185,000 that ended on the 16th linked above...
good job posting the cheapest GT on ebay (other links dont work). if you look at the GT's on ebay right now, the cheapest one is ~$177,000, and the reserve hasnt been met. all the others are well over $200,000.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read the specs on the 06 cobra and it is going to get the gt motor not bad the z06 will still eat it for lunch as the cobra will have a huge weight penalty.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My plan is to buy a LS7, but for now I'll just whip up on both the Z06 and the Ford GT in my little old Cobra.

Quick Reply: 06 z06 vs fords gt-40