Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

06 z06 vs fords gt-40

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey unit213 I hope your not talking about an 03+ cobra. Cause I am not sure if one of those will beat the new C6 ZO6. You would definately have to atleast have a Kenny Bell, turbo, or nitrous on top of full bolt-ons to even make it worth talking about. And it still would probably be a close one. My friend has a black ZO6 with exhaust, pulley, and TREX. He dynoed 432 rwhp (cant remember torque, i think like 405)through a twin disc mcleod. He has a nice big stereo system and amp also weighing him down. Car weighed i think 3150. Oh and he has BFG Drag Radials. Well he raced a KB Cobra before and after the KB and before and after the Cobra got drag radials. Oh and the KB cobra was putting down just over 600 rwhp. Before the cobra got the drag radials he beat it or it was close a large majority of the time. After the drag radials it was a bit different, the KB did win but it didnt run away at all. It was more of a small slow pull, that only amounted ta about 2 car lengths. A win, but not a huge one. It is hard to beat aerodynamics, gearing, and weight. And from the looks of it, i would say the new ZO6 is gonna be somewhere around the neighborhood of my friends current ZO6 with the TREX in it. He also has a 100 shot of nitrous but didnt spray, wouldnt have even been a race if he did. My other friend beat the KB cobra with his 422 camaro.

So much for the Cobras.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

unit has raced in beaten a ford GT if my memory serves me correctly, and he backed it up with photo's.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

I had the race videos. But right now my friend is borrowing the DVD we made. Once I get it back, ill post up the vids. We got about an hour or more of street racing vids. Pretty fun stuff to watch.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

In the same video my car is in there racing a stock 04 cobra. We where perfectly matched on the freeway. Noone pulled on the other person, my mods at the time are at the bottom.

2001 T/A WS6 6-Speed
321HP/337TQ 13.1@109 on Nittos
Lid and Filter/Magnaflow Cat-back/Thermostat/TB Bypass/Pro 5.0 Shifter
Nitto DR's/RAM Clutch
Old 02-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
You would definately have to atleast have a Kenny Bell, turbo, or nitrous on top of full bolt-ons to even make it worth talking about.
How about a Kenne Bell and nitrous?

I beat a GT (and tons of C5 Z06's) with all the bolt ons including a ported blower and nitrous. Piece of cake. I'd do the same to a C6 Z06 in stock trim. My Kenne Bell will be installed prior to spring. I'm expecting 140mph traps on the hose.

I'm fairly certain that will do the trick. Don't you think?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just my thoughts, but i would go for the GT. this car is amazing and can take the fight right to the Ferrari 430s, and then beat them one the straights! now, dont get me wrong the they are both very good cars, but on the roads around where i live (uk, loads of corners) id go for the ford!

but then the new TVR Typhoon would KILL it! around 600bhp and 1100kg and a chassis that will be amazing! and its less money!

thanks Chris.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
How about a Kenne Bell and nitrous?

I beat a GT (and tons of C5 Z06's) with all the bolt ons including a ported blower and nitrous.
Not true. I had a unported blower at the time. Forgot about that.

I'd take the GT over the Z06 based on value alone...not saying one is better than the other.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

[/QUOTE]You would definately have to atleast have a Kenny Bell, turbo, or nitrous on top of full bolt-ons[QUOTE]

Like I was quoted above. Would definately need those things. Nitrous is great isnt it. But back to what the discussion actually was. If it wasnt my dollar, then yes ofcourse i would take the ford GT. Its worth mroe money. But if we are talking my money, then i wouldnt give the ford GT the time of day. C6 ZO6 all the way. And everyone that is knocking on the ZO6, saying it isnt gonna be as good on the road. I am pretty sure it is gonna be one bad *** car in the corners. I think it would definately challenge the Ford GT. Ill say it again for you guys that dont believe it'll be a road warrior. Its based off of a highly successful road racer, it is lighter, it has amazing braking, it has big tires, and it has really short gears.
Oh and one more things, if we wanna get into what'll do what when its modded. Lets just look at this, 7.0 Liter vs 5.4 Liter. You tell me which one has the greater potential for power.Anything you do to the Ford GT, you can do to the ZO6, but it'll be more effective on the ZO6 and should make more power.
There is no replacement for displacement.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry new to this quotes ended up all messed up, stupid me.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
Not true. I had a unported blower at the time. Forgot about that.

I'd take the GT over the Z06 based on value alone...not saying one is better than the other.
Umm, unit213, didn't you mean the Z06 over the GT based on value alone?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe he meant value as to which one will keep its value better. The GT should since it will be the rarer car.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
Z 0 6 all the way!!! anyways who cares about a stupid a-- ford anyway!
I absolutely LOVE the Z06, but some of you people need to grow the hell up.

Ford makes damn good cars too, but since you know that "one" person who has had trouble with it it now sucks right?

If the GR-1 comes out it will have nearly 600 HP at the crank in either a V8 or V10 with no blower. They are seriously considering it since the chassis is already made. It will cost more yes, but the technology of course is a little more advance.. V10 isn't cheap.

I'd still choose the Z06 however.. Always loved Vettes
Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Teching In

hmmm

Oh and one more things, if we wanna get into what'll do what when its modded. Lets just look at this, 7.0 Liter vs 5.4 Liter.
5.4 + 2.3 = ?

Anything you do to the Ford GT, you can do to the ZO6, but it'll be more effective on the ZO6 and should make more power.
Cams? 25+ psi right off the floor? Squeeze some more from the bore/stoke on that 427 small block? Thats enough for me; I won't even look at the LS7 engine stats and come back.

The GT will always be more efficient because of where the Z06 has its engine.

And until that compression gets changed (gotta be around 11 or something right?), LS7 will need to see some -big- turbos to get around the 3.3L whipple thats already been mated to the 5.4.

There is no replacement for displacement.
I should be shot but I have to:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ight=1491+auto

Last edited by 50 BMG; 02-01-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, 50 BMG, you pay the $175k(lowest ive seen)for the GT. Ill pay $75k for the ZO6. And then ill take my $100k and lets see if there is anything i cannot do with that money. Anything you do to the 5.4, you can do to the 7.0. And you got a lot more money to do it with. ZO6 can take a S/C and will make more power, it can take turbo, make more power, or just a fat shot of nitrous. Face it BMG as i said, you cant beat a big engine. And you keep mentioning that the GT is a mid-engine car, but i dont see how that effects the amount of power that it makes. And if your talking about road racing, there are plenty of front engine cars that can out handle the Ford GT with a bit of mods. And the link didnt work, but with money any amount of power is possible, so someone dumping thousands into a small engine car isnt impressive. I know you'll try and use that against me but, my argument stands, more liters make more power with or without mods.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Just to clarify, the amount of power he made is impressive, not saying it isnt a lot. Im just saying that any car can do that, so its not because its a DOHC car or anything like that. Go ahead and say that checvy uses old technology, like the pushrod engine. But remember chevys have been using the six-speed, irs, HUD and many other technologies, way before the Fords. And they continue to use top of the line technology in there vehicles. There is nothing wrong with a pushrod engine, for the most part they are smaller in size than those monstrous looking 4.6 liter DOHC.
Ford, huh?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as that supra is concerned, yes, it crazy power. But, there still is no replacement for displacement. What kind of power can turboed big blocks make? It will always be more than a supra engine in the long run. Now I LOVE supras but even I can admit that a big block spooling a turbo will make more power and torque. I do believe that supra is making more power than any aluminum LS1 though, probably any iron block as well.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Default kids talk

Hey unit213 I hope your not talking about an 03+ cobra. Cause I am not sure if one of those will beat the new C6 ZO6. You would definately have to atleast have a Kenny Bell, turbo, or nitrous on top of full bolt-ons to even make it worth talking about. And it still would probably be a close one. My friend has a black ZO6 with exhaust, pulley, and TREX. He dynoed 432 rwhp (cant remember torque, i think like 405)through a twin disc mcleod. He has a nice big stereo system and amp also weighing him down. Car weighed i think 3150. Oh and he has BFG Drag Radials. Well he raced a KB Cobra before and after the KB and before and after the Cobra got drag radials. Oh and the KB cobra was putting down just over 600 rwhp. Before the cobra got the drag radials he beat it or it was close a large majority of the time. After the drag radials it was a bit different, the KB did win but it didnt run away at all. It was more of a small slow pull, that only amounted ta about 2 car lengths. A win, but not a huge one. It is hard to beat aerodynamics, gearing, and weight. And from the looks of it, i would say the new ZO6 is gonna be somewhere around the neighborhood of my friends current ZO6 with the TREX in it. He also has a 100 shot of nitrous but didnt spray, wouldnt have even been a race if he did. My other friend beat the KB cobra with his 422 camaro.

So much for the Cobras.
And my friend beat the 422 camero. But does it matter??
Old 02-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Most of you need to really look at how the world view American cars. I am thrilled anytime American car makers build something to compete with exotics. I thought this was good considering the price of the others:

October 2004 Motor Trend:

2005 Ford GT 1/4-mile = 11.2@131.2 ........$150,000
2003 Ferrari Enzo 1/4-mile = 11.0@133.9 .............$650.000
2004 Porsche Carrera GT 1/4-mile = 11.1@133.4...............$450.000
2006 Z06 1/4-mile 11.7@???...............$70,000 Great!!! but not enough for the amount of trash talking. Its estimates.
(OF COURSE people sell and buy them for more)

On that note I have seen 03 Cobras with $1200.00 in basic mods with 1/4 mile times of 11.5 .........$30.000

Some current stock Zo6s run mid to low 12sec 1/4. $55,000 Do I need to add more??

Some other magazine came up with much slower numbers than the low 11s for the FORD GT that was tested by many magazines leads me to not even take them serious. I say that for a number of reasons. I have lived in Germany for many years (from Chicago) but the FORD GT is the only American car I have seen ever to earn the respect of the harsh European critics. It has articles of how close it is in performance to the Carrera GT and exceeds their top speed and much more Many articles and test drives are very positive. 1/4 mile (400Meter) tests and 0 to 60 (100Kmh) were on par with the other supercars. In fact it was faster than all of the others because 60 MPH was achieved in first gear.

Cobra driver here but I respect GM's ambitions, power, and passion they are putting in the Zo6. I am always happy to see AMERICAN IRON represent. We look like fools when we bash U.S. brands. Take a bigger look.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't remember if this has been said, but I think we should be comparing the new Z to the Viper instead of the Ford-GT because whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the GT is a better performer even though it may not be worth the price...

well, they GT is more than likely going to outperform the Z.

All this speculation.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Motor Trend ran the Ford GT at 11.7 in the quarter against the Viper. I haven't seen C6 ZO6 times yet, but estimates were saying mid-11's. Motor Trend also said the ZO6 was going to produce at least 500 horse....At Least. So it could be better. I think it would be a toss-up. The Vette has the weight advantage, the GT has the power/torque advantage. Don't forget the possible Blue Demon Vette, or whatever they were calling it. Supercharged 427 in excess of 700 horse!! I hope...

Quick Reply: 06 z06 vs fords gt-40