Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Knock Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 Knock Sensor Issue

Ok, I have searched and read and still don't have a clear answer for the use of an LS2 stroker in 1998-2002 F-bodies. I'd really like to get one of the new LS2 stroker short blocks from one of the reputable vendors, but the knock sensor issue still doesn't sound like it's been solved IN THE REAL WORLD (not on a dyno).

Has anybody built an LS2 stroker, used the LS1 knock sensors in the side of the block and installed in their F-body? What has the results been? What do you need to worry about? Lastly, can you use Kooks, QTP, or Hooker headers with this combination??

Thank you.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can almost put them anywhere in the block,then you will have to test them.Now,how would you know if it's right?Well probly within time it will eat the pistons if they are wrong or you can hear KR and adjust by that.I personally see no reason for KR sensor's in my own vehicles and even have them disconnected in my stock,blown motor.KR sensor's are for getting bad gas(which you can feel/hear anyway's) or for someone that can't tune the car.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you saying you don't need the knock sensors as long as you tune the PCM right?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yup!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, just wanted to be sure before I do something stupid.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

So, by tuning the PCM "properly" knock should not be an issue? I always thought that the knock sensors allowed the PCM to run timing right to the edge before detonation. By eliminating the knock sensors in the computer, aren't you leaving horsepower on the table? Or, if too much timing is dialed in, can't detonation occur on hot days or bad gas days?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Ford's don't run them. ALL cars didn't run them for yeeeeeeeeeeeeears. Good tune . . . no worries.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

I turn them off on most of the cars that I have tuned. There is more power running a few degrees before you will even see knock in the fist place. KS are a band aid for bad tuning. Just don't put a larger cam in and a set of better heads and plan to tune it in a few weeks. As long as your tune is on you won't have a problem.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

My LS1 KSers were put in the passenger side (both) since they cleared easily on that side and wouldn't on the drivers side. The harness was also ez to connect there.

My first and only log so far was when I drove it home and only lasted for about 3 minutes before my logging software cratered and I had to switch to AutoXRay for the remainder of the trip.

That 3 minutes did have several episodes of mysterious electrical malady that did cause the pcm to hiccup. The KSers did sense that knock and retarded timing.

I am starting a thread on "tuning the 402 (8) from a H/C car" in the tuning forum. Follow that if you like and I will keep posting my tuning challenges and successes over the next several days and weeks.

Perry
Old 03-03-2005, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Perry Kincy
My LS1 KSers were put in the passenger side (both) since they cleared easily on that side and wouldn't on the drivers side. The harness was also ez to connect there.

My first and only log so far was when I drove it home and only lasted for about 3 minutes before my logging software cratered and I had to switch to AutoXRay for the remainder of the trip.

That 3 minutes did have several episodes of mysterious electrical malady that did cause the pcm to hiccup. The KSers did sense that knock and retarded timing.

I am starting a thread on "tuning the 402 (8) from a H/C car" in the tuning forum. Follow that if you like and I will keep posting my tuning challenges and successes over the next several days and weeks.

Perry
That sounds great (the thread). I'll keep up on your progress. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

Got my part throttle pretty close from the get-go. Got the idle and idle follower pretty close tonite. Did some driving.

the LS1 knock sensors seem to work perfectly in the block. I am picking up inaudible as well as very minor (0.4 deg retard) knock right where I would have expected it from my experience with my H/C LS1.

So that bogey seems to have been put to bed....at least as far as I can see.

Perry
Old 03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Perry - Is the knock you're picking up at WOT or normal conditions?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Ford's don't run them. ALL cars didn't run them for yeeeeeeeeeeeeears. Good tune . . . no worries.
hmmm all 3 thunderbirds I owned had knock sensors in em...
Old 03-04-2005, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty much how we have been doing the LS2/LS1 hybrid harnesses. I make the knock harness so that it will reach wherever you can comfortably mount the sensors (both on one side, one on each side, back of the heads, etc.).

Perry

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 03-04-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by rookiels1
hmmm all 3 thunderbirds I owned had knock sensors in em...
Dam#. That is weird. Why would they do that and not put them on their Mustangs?? I personally would feel safer with them and I tune these cars. Great tune or not . . . with some exhausts (like mine) . . . it would be dam# difficult to hear knock over the noise.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Perry - Is the knock you're picking up at WOT or normal conditions?
I have a very conservative tune in so little knock.

I saw it once when I hit the throttle hard and once when I tickled it at low rpm low load conditions. So the latter proves to me that it is as sensitive as it was before.

PK
Old 03-09-2005, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Dam#. That is weird. Why would they do that and not put them on their Mustangs?? I personally would feel safer with them and I tune these cars. Great tune or not . . . with some exhausts (like mine) . . . it would be dam# difficult to hear knock over the noise.
Well the tbirds I owned were all Thunderbird SC's so maybe they put them in due to the supercharger, but who knows. Like a lot of manufacturers ford's done some wierd things lol.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good, Perry. Thanks for posting up the knock sensor results.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

My sensors seem to be operating normally as I get more miles on the car.

It is not quite as sensitive to low load mid rpm knock (say slightly above idle and less than 2600 rpm and a relatively rapid acceleration that would send my sensors in the LS1 into a frenzy). But it will definitely see knock and retard the timing when it sees it.

I am gonna guess that the sensors are a bit less sensitive in the block but frankly that is a good thing.

Perry
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

My sensors seem to be operating normally as I get more miles on the car.

It is not quite as sensitive to low load mid rpm knock (say slightly above idle and less than 2600 rpm and a relatively rapid acceleration that would send my sensors in the LS1 into a frenzy). But it will definitely see knock and retard the timing when it sees it.

I am gonna guess that the sensors are a bit less sensitive in the block but frankly that is a good thing.

Perry
Exactly where did you put them?

Quick Reply: LS2 Knock Sensor Issue