Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 402 stroker - SLP or SDPC??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never buy a SLP motor Got 1 of there H/C/shortblock setups at my shop that was plain horrible--350hp/350tq for $10k We threw that in the trash
So far I've used 1 of SDPC's 402 motor's and it was top notch.Usses no oil at all,no noises(tight) and the build quality was excellent.Will definitely get some more 402's through them shortly
Old 04-25-2005, 09:06 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I would never buy a SLP motor Got 1 of there H/C/shortblock setups at my shop that was plain horrible--350hp/350tq for $10k We threw that in the trash
So far I've used 1 of SDPC's 402 motor's and it was top notch.Usses no oil at all,no noises(tight) and the build quality was excellent.Will definitely get some more 402's through them shortly
Some good info ... I'm definately leaning more towards the SDPC one now... humm.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoLS1
sdpc includes things you need like...
**LS2 parts:
*front cover
*timming set
*cam sensor
*front cover
*front seal & gasket
*valley cover

And SLP dosent.

I havent looked any deeper into the quality of parts used on SLPs Vs. SDPC.
You are absolutely wrong. My shortblock was in a crate, along with that came a box with everything you listed plus the lifter guides.

I originally went for the sdpc shortblock but I did not have the time to wait so I turned to the SLP because it was closer to me and had a much faster build time. I was alittle scared of the SLP short block cause I saw their iron 402 in person and wasnt impressed, granted there were still working out some drive train querks. I also read about someone else's SLP short block that was an oilholic(what ever happened with that?) but I figured anything I bought I would check out regardless of who it came from so I went with SLP. Besides, I've been buying from SLP for a long time now with no upset (NOT LIKE SOME OF THE VENDORS AROUND WHO CANT GET ANYTHING RIGHT).
I dont think you'd be upset if you went with either setup.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered the SDPC one today ... I appreciate all the advice guys.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the biggest causes of oil consumption is the tuning.Most big bore motor's don't like as much timing as 346's.I recently did a 408 and total timing is 19 degree's and the car made 540hp/490tq.I had to take alot of timing out of the midrange to keep it out of KR but the car still pulled like a bastard.
Heavy part throttle KR can cause the rings to flutter which causes oil consumption.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
One of the biggest causes of oil consumption is the tuning.Most big bore motor's don't like as much timing as 346's.I recently did a 408 and total timing is 19 degree's and the car made 540hp/490tq.I had to take alot of timing out of the midrange to keep it out of KR but the car still pulled like a bastard.
Heavy part throttle KR can cause the rings to flutter which causes oil consumption.

Granted that is cause by KR, but would gas ports on the pistons help to control that?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyclerage
You are absolutely wrong. My shortblock was in a crate, along with that came a box with everything you listed plus the lifter guides.

These statements had me a little confused. What plates are they talking about they dont include? Im going to get this motor from whoever hooks me up the best.

Includes:

Comes with everything required to retrofit into an LS1-equipped car or truck
Designed for naturally aspirated use.
Oil pump, camshaft, pans, and plates not included.

Last edited by MakoLS1; 05-15-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed this thread, and I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that have purchased a motor from us. It does take us a little longer than some shops to get motors out, but our race shop has alot going on. You have to remember that we build alot of other motors other than our LS1's and we spend quality time on each of them. Our "Race Shop" does everything from a cam change to a stock 350 carb motor, to building a complete 710 Big Chief that makes over 1800 hp! Quality is #1 when it comes to building motors, and we make sure that everything is done to the best of our ability.

SDPC has been in business since 1929, and there are not alot of shops that can say that. I just want everyone to know that we make sure that every customer is taken care of, and we are not going anywere. If there should ever be a problem with one of our motors we will work with you to resolve the problem. Honestly I have been here for 11 years and can count on one hand how many problems we have had. If there are any questions I can help answer please pm, email, or give me a call!!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

These statements had me a little confused. What plates are they talking about they dont include? Im going to get this motor from whoever hooks me up the best.
They dont give you the rear plate (covers the tail end of the cam and holds the rear seal). Mine did come the valley cover and the LS2 timing cover.

I will say this, I have NOT spoken to anyone that was more helpful and knowledgeable about these motors than Kris (sdpc). I wouldnt steer anyone away from dealing with them.
Hey Kris, what do you guys have as far as fuel pumps?
thanks
Jason
Old 05-16-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyclerage
I will say this, I have NOT spoken to anyone that was more helpful and knowledgeable about these motors than Kris (sdpc). I wouldnt steer anyone away from dealing with them.
I'll agree with that 100%. I talked to a few different vendors before placing my order (Including APE - thank GOD I didn't order from them!!), and KRIS at SDPC was by far the most helpful, courteous, and confident about his product. I'd recommend Kris and SDPC to anyone.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KJ@SDPC
I just noticed this thread, and I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that have purchased a motor from us. It does take us a little longer than some shops to get motors out, but our race shop has alot going on. You have to remember that we build alot of other motors other than our LS1's and we spend quality time on each of them. Our "Race Shop" does everything from a cam change to a stock 350 carb motor, to building a complete 710 Big Chief that makes over 1800 hp! Quality is #1 when it comes to building motors, and we make sure that everything is done to the best of our ability.

SDPC has been in business since 1929, and there are not alot of shops that can say that. I just want everyone to know that we make sure that every customer is taken care of, and we are not going anywere. If there should ever be a problem with one of our motors we will work with you to resolve the problem. Honestly I have been here for 11 years and can count on one hand how many problems we have had. If there are any questions I can help answer please pm, email, or give me a call!!
How many companies let alone sponsors can say that and back it up like SDPC????

I too almost ordered my LS2 402 from APE months ago, but after talking to Kris on the phone I felt SDPC was the better choice. For any others fence sitting on buying a engine from them, they are a first class operation from Sales/Service to machine work.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I DID order a motor from ape at the last minute before i went with SLP or SDPCs 402. and am just getting over that nightmare. I got my money back today but with a temporary freeze on it. Lets not forget not to long ago people were saying the same positive things about ape and look what happend. He went bankrupt and didnt inform anyone of the situation while we waited on motors. I know SLP and SDPC are like walmarts and not going anywhere and im comfortable trusting them but still takeing precautions becaus im not going through what i did with ape again.

I think I just need to contact kris at SDPC and SLP to see what they can do, ill probabily give kris a call tomorro sometime. SLP includes lifter trays, SDPC dosent but they include a rear plate. It really sounds like a toss up and i couldnt go wrong eitherway unless one them hooks the motor up a little more then the other...

Nows a good of time as any for some questions. What do i got to do to get that new cam sensor to work right? And does there have to be a certain size hole drilled into the existing hole in the throttle body for it to idle?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I DID order a motor from ape at the last minute before i went with SLP or SDPCs 402. and am just getting over that nightmare. I got my money back today but with a temporary freeze on it. Lets not forget not to long ago people were saying the same positive things about ape and look what happend. He went bankrupt and didnt inform anyone of the situation while we waited on motors. I know SLP and SDPC are like walmarts and not going anywhere and im comfortable trusting them but still takeing precautions becaus im not going through what i did with ape again.

I think I just need to contact kris at SDPC and SLP to see what they can do, ill probabily give kris a call tomorro sometime. SLP includes lifter trays, SDPC dosent but they include a rear plate. It really sounds like a toss up and i couldnt go wrong eitherway unless one them hooks the motor up a little more then the other...

Nows a good of time as any for some questions. What do i got to do to get that new cam sensor to work right? And does there have to be a certain size hole drilled into the existing hole in the throttle body for it to idle?
I have extra LS2 lifter trays, if you need them PM me.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder if SLP cam make one around 10.5 compression instead of 11.3? Im wanting to spray at least 200 on it... I know stock 10:5 worked well on my stock motor. I dont want to have so much where i risk detonation would i be safe on 93 octane pump gas?

Last edited by MakoLS1; 05-22-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Talking

Here are the basic configurations for our SLP ZL 402. Keep in mind, you can alter the compression ratio with head chamber size or gasket selection too. Pistons are only one of many ways to change compression ratio. You should have no problem with 11.3:1 with pump gas today. Factory engines are up to 11+:1.
Best regards,Brian

High compression 402 (compressed gasket thickness of approximately 0.051”, -6 cc pistons)

11.28:1 with SLP LS6 style heads (63.5 cc)
10.85:1 with stock LS1 heads (67 cc)

Low compression 402 (compressed gasket thickness of approximately 0.051”, -28.5 cc pistons)

9.03:1 with SLP LS6 style heads (63.5 cc)
8.76:1 with stock LS1 heads (67 cc)

Quick Reply: LS2 402 stroker - SLP or SDPC??