Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 402 stroker - SLP or SDPC??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:53 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS2 402 stroker - SLP or SDPC??

Looking into a LS2 based 402 stroker for my 99 trans am. I want to know what everyone thinks is the better way to go. I will be running the t-rex cam (242/248 ~.610 109lsa), most likely a set of TEA or FFHP 5.3L 64cc heads, pacesetter LT's and LS6 intake.... looking at around an 11.1 CR. FFHP tells me the -6.00cc reliefs will be fine for that size cam and heads, and unfortunately the SDPC doesn't list their reliefs.

SLP Shortblock - Click

SDPC Shortblock - Click

Looking for opinions of the quality of the parts used, and maybe some personal experiences. Also, a "ballpark" of what you think the car will put down power wise with this combo. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Looking into a LS2 based 402 stroker for my 99 trans am. I want to know what everyone thinks is the better way to go. I will be running the t-rex cam (242/248 ~.610 109lsa), most likely a set of TEA or FFHP 5.3L 64cc heads, pacesetter LT's and LS6 intake.... looking at around an 11.1 CR. FFHP tells me the -6.00cc reliefs will be fine for that size cam and heads, and unfortunately the SDPC doesn't list their reliefs.

SLP Shortblock - Click

SDPC Shortblock - Click

Looking for opinions of the quality of the parts used, and maybe some personal experiences. Also, a "ballpark" of what you think the car will put down power wise with this combo. Thanks in advance.
I have the SLP 402 and Love it!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have experience with either motor, but I have experience with SDPC. Kris is a stand-up guy and great to deal with. I would rather deal with them than SLP.

The SDPC also includes needed parts like:

We will also ship with every short block....
**LS2 parts:
*front cover
*timming set
*cam sensor
*front cover
*front seal & gasket
*valley cover

NOW. I don't remember off hand which is better; H or I beam rods. That should say which is a better way to go from a stregnth point of view.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Never mind. The extra info is in the thread. SDPC one all the way over the SLP piece.

To answer a few questions, we are using the Crower rods for a couple of different reasons. One, they are a LS1 specific rod and there is a difference. Two, for the money it is a very nice I beam rod that is lighter than the Eagle H-beam and will hold up alot longer. They do come with a good set of ARP rod bolts, and I will look in the morning to see what part# they use.

As for the knock sensors, that problem has not gone away. You will still have to turn them off when you tune your ECM. There are alot of people that do this, but it is still kinda scary. I don't think it will be to long before some one comes up with a way to make them work.

Compression, I went with a -14cc dish piston. with the std deck height, .052 thick gasket and a 65cc head you should be about 10.2 to 1. With a .040 thick gasket we can get you to about 10.5, 10.6 to 1. I am building the first five with this piston. If anyone should want more or less compression, I can order a different piston for just a little more money.

As for cam shafts you can run any LS1/LS6 cam shaft you want. The only thing you HAVE to do is run the LS2 timming set and cam sensor. Those parts will come withthis short block. As for the cam sensor harness it will be up to you to extend it to were it needs to be.

They should be ready in just a few weeks. I have the parts on order that I didn't have on the shelf, so as soon as they hit off to the race shop they go.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:32 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Richiec77
I don't have experience with either motor, but I have experience with SDPC. Kris is a stand-up guy and great to deal with. I would rather deal with them than SLP.

The SDPC also includes needed parts like:

We will also ship with every short block....
**LS2 parts:
*front cover
*timming set
*cam sensor
*front cover
*front seal & gasket
*valley cover

NOW. I don't remember off hand which is better; H or I beam rods. That should say which is a better way to go from a stregnth point of view.

From SLP...

Comes with everything required to retrofit into an LS1-equipped car or truck
looks like that's a wash, if I read that right, because they give you all the stuff too. Would be kinda senseless to be roughly the same price and not throw that stuff in when a competitor does.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try a FMS 402.

I'm having one built right now.

Lee
Old 04-22-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Although I don't have mine yet, Kris has been extremely helpful in the process of customizing mine into a long block for my rather unique application concerns.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:31 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I don't know if SLP will work with you like some of the sponsors do (at least I haven't seen anyone talk about it). I'm cuious if they have a low comp. ZL402 IV in the works for boosted applications? Considering I'm in MD and Jersey isn't that far, I can save myself the freight.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
I don't know if SLP will work with you like some of the sponsors do (at least I haven't seen anyone talk about it). I'm cuious if they have a low comp. ZL402 IV in the works for boosted applications? Considering I'm in MD and Jersey isn't that far, I can save myself the freight.
Thats one of the main reasons I went with the SLP motor. You can order you motor through any SLP vendor(T-Bynre has them on sale for $3699.) and pick it up, save about $100 on shipping.
They do have a low compression set up, how low depends on your chamber size.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by cyclerage
Thats one of the main reasons I went with the SLP motor. You can order you motor through any SLP vendor(T-Bynre has them on sale for $3699.) and pick it up, save about $100 on shipping.
They do have a low compression set up, how low depends on your chamber size.
Yeah I saw that ... I'm actually leaning towards that as I would save a good $600-$700 by the time I am done with shipping and all.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered my SLP 402 high compression on Thursday.. the following thursday it was here and it looks great
Old 04-23-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Although my game plan is to be able to afford a LS7 crate motor when my 02 is paid off 10 months from now(good that its paid off Bad that it wont be enough time for the LS7 motor to drop ANY in price)I would go with the SDPC motor JUST because I feel they are more in tune with what most consumers really want. To me SLP is more like GM,just give them what we can to get by and hope they take it hook/line & sinker I wish I could explain it better but its almost like the 02 Camaro/Firebird, doesn't everyone wish that there could have been more performance oriented options available for the last year of an Icon? A great oppertunity for greatness but with underlivered executions
Old 04-24-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't buy anything from SLP that I don't have to. You can be guarunteed that the guys at SDPC are building the motor right. You can look at it one of 2 ways: Mass production, like the SLP or quality production from SDPC. Not to mention Kris at SDPC will hook you up if you need anything else. He can get awesome deals on almost anything you might need. SLP really shouldn't even be of any concern, but if your looking to save $500 for a hit or miss deal, it's your call.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:16 AM

I am the first to agree that SLP is usually overpriced for what they sell, but I have not really seen too many people who have problems with the actual products they sell.

As for the mass production comment, Our cars are mass produced, our engines are mass produced, the keyboard you used to type that comment is mass produced ... EVERYTHING is mass produced. Mass production does not result in an inferior product. I have also seen at least 10-15 people on this board with the SLP engine, and all of them seem to be extremely happy with it.

Again, I appreciate everyone's comments, but I'm trying to keep pure personal opinions out of this, and keep the discussion geared more towards the quality of the components and how they will be assembled. I cannot possibly see how the lack of performance options on the 02 camaro firebird could be relevant to my choice of engine.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:03 AM
TECH Resident

I am the first to agree that SLP is usually overpriced for what they sell, but I have not really seen too many people who have problems with the actual products they sell.

As for the mass production comment, Our cars are mass produced, our engines are mass produced, the keyboard you used to type that comment is mass produced ... EVERYTHING is mass produced. Mass production does not result in an inferior product. I have also seen at least 10-15 people on this board with the SLP engine, and all of them seem to be extremely happy with it.

Again, I appreciate everyone's comments, but I'm trying to keep pure personal opinions out of this, and keep the discussion geared more towards the quality of the components and how they will be assembled. I cannot possibly see how the lack of performance options on the 02 camaro firebird could be relevant to my choice of engine.
Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up. As for me, I would prefer to go with SDPC, but since I am in Texas, even though I could save freight, I would have to pay tax. Tax on 4K is > than shipping. Oh well. Also, if the SLP motors are on sale, call SDPC and see if they can match it.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:48 AM

I really don't have my mind made up, I'm just trying to keep everyone away from the personal opinions and focus more on the parts.

I am actually leaning slightly more towards the SDPC motor now that I have been looking into them for the past 2 days. I like the diamond pistons, more of a valve relief (bigger cam and milled heads possibly) .... and of course kris is a great guy to deal with, which is nice.

Anyone else have any input for me?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last time i heard, SPDC was building alot more race motors then SLP....... *grins*
Old 04-24-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

why would you want an iron block when you can have an aluminum? The aluminum is good for around 800-900 rwhp?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't have my mind made up, I'm just trying to keep everyone away from the personal opinions and focus more on the parts.

I am actually leaning slightly more towards the SDPC motor now that I have been looking into them for the past 2 days. I like the diamond pistons, more of a valve relief (bigger cam and milled heads possibly) .... and of course kris is a great guy to deal with, which is nice.

Anyone else have any input for me?
You need to make sure the reliefs you speak of are actually reliefs and not a dish. I ordered -7cc pistons thinking they had -7cc reliefs. In actuality, it was a -2cc relief with a -5 cc dish. As for "personal opinions", they have to stem from somewhere. I wouldn't talk bad about some person or part if a hadn't dealt with them before. When it comes to motors, I would want my stuff in the hands of somone I could trust.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 52172
why would you want an iron block when you can have an aluminum? The aluminum is good for around 800-900 rwhp?
They're both aluminum....

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
You need to make sure the reliefs you speak of are actually reliefs and not a dish. I ordered -7cc pistons thinking they had -7cc reliefs. In actuality, it was a -2cc relief with a -5 cc dish. As for "personal opinions", they have to stem from somewhere. I wouldn't talk bad about some person or part if a hadn't dealt with them before. When it comes to motors, I would want my stuff in the hands of somone I could trust.
I agree ... I am just saying I have never heard anyone say anything bad about SLP's engines .... and besides the fact that most people say they are overpriced, I have not seen too many complaints about the quality of the end product itself. However, this is exactly why I posted this ... to get thoughts from everyone on the Quality of the motors. Obviously personal opinion will hold some weight, but I am trying to stay away from opinions such as the ones based on the fact that SLP didn't offer more performance options for the 02 camaro/firebirds.

Quick Reply: LS2 402 stroker - SLP or SDPC??