Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

SLP-ZL402 LS2 In a 2002 TA -- Need a little tech help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP-ZL402 LS2 In a 2002 TA -- Need a little tech help

OK I can get some parts really cheap and I dont have a lot of money so here looks like my parts list.

I have a 2002 TA, and I broke a ringland, so I have to do something.

Will these parts work together well.

SLP ZL402 LS2 (Need to Buy)
PP Heads LS6 Style Stage II or III ? Need a sugestion (Need to Buy)
TREX Cam 243 248 608 613 110LSA
Walbro 255 In Tank and SVO 30's
LS6 Intake
SPEC 3X and all BMR suspension mods
ASP underdrive pulley
Hardened pushrods and stock rockers
Jet Hot LT headers & 3" True Duals

I have a dyno tune for the TREX 346ci will it work until break in?

What Heads from PP should I run? cc and stage

I made 424.5 rwhp through a 12 bolt 4.11 stock cubes. Any Idea how much with a ZL-402

Are there any fixes for the knock sensors yet?

Please let me know if I haven't covered anything yet, I don't have a lot of money so thats why I am going with this set-up.

Maybe TBYRNE can chime in on this I tried to call his techs friday and I believe his sale ends tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlsWS6
OK I can get some parts really cheap and I dont have a lot of money so here looks like my parts list.

I have a 2002 TA, and I broke a ringland, so I have to do something.

Will these parts work together well.

SLP ZL402 LS2 (Need to Buy)
PP Heads LS6 Style Stage II or III ? Need a sugestion (Need to Buy)
TREX Cam 243 248 608 613 110LSA
Walbro 255 In Tank and SVO 30's
LS6 Intake
SPEC 3X and all BMR suspension mods
ASP underdrive pulley
Hardened pushrods and stock rockers
Jet Hot LT headers & 3" True Duals

I have a dyno tune for the TREX 346ci will it work until break in?

What Heads from PP should I run? cc and stage

I made 424.5 rwhp through a 12 bolt 4.11 stock cubes. Any Idea how much with a ZL-402

Are there any fixes for the knock sensors yet?

Please let me know if I haven't covered anything yet, I don't have a lot of money so thats why I am going with this set-up.

Maybe TBYRNE can chime in on this I tried to call his techs friday and I believe his sale ends tomorrow.
short block seems to work well
a TEA stage 3 6.0l heads would work best on that cubic inch IMO
TRex cam will peak to early for that size engine.
Walbro and 30 FMS will work fine
everything else will work good. Heads could stand to be a little bit bigger.
Can't say on what heads to run from another company

good luck! Brent
Old 05-01-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Spending all that money on the shortblock and other parts but skimping on the intake and heads. Most importantly spend the extra $$$ on better heads
Old 05-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Well I have the LS6 intake that came on my car and I dont have to make the maximum power at this point. It is fun having something to upgrade.

I just bought the Trex cam and maybe put 140 miles on it when my car broke a ringland.

Brent can you suggest a cam and how much are your 6.0 S3 heads if I can afford them then I will. I also have a set of Crane Duals, Titanium retainers, and Seats that also have 140 miles on them. Can I use them.

Please send me a PM

Thanks for the replies so far
Old 05-01-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by verbs
Spending all that money on the shortblock and other parts but skimping on the intake and heads. Most importantly spend the extra $$$ on better heads
He's right. I'm getting ready to finish my LS2 402 project and before I bought anything I decided on my goals, then budget. If you can't afford all of the good parts at one time, just build the motor on the side (if possible). You can put a LS6 intake, small heads and small cam, but ultimately you will leave a lot of hp on the table. Also keep in mind you will need to upgrade the fuel system, tranny and rear end to handle the new power.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

The cam isn't the best choice but as far as the rest of the equipment you will be fine. If you don't have those PP heads, I would get the afr 225's not ported and get the port work done later whne you budget allows it. I would go with the top of the 3 xer cams in comps catalog for a start.

You would then have room for improvement later when the budget allows with the manifold.

The spec isnt the best choice, 3x, ....go with the ram 931hd/aluminum flywheel. It doesnt require the adjustable slave either. (that is from Ram tech dept)
Old 05-02-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
The cam isn't the best choice but as far as the rest of the equipment you will be fine. If you don't have those PP heads, I would get the afr 225's not ported and get the port work done later whne you budget allows it. I would go with the top of the 3 xer cams in comps catalog for a start.

You would then have room for improvement later when the budget allows with the manifold.

The spec isnt the best choice, 3x, ....go with the ram 931hd/aluminum flywheel. It doesnt require the adjustable slave either. (that is from Ram tech dept)
Why do you say the spec 3 is not the best choice. Will it hold up? I just want to know because that's what I have right now.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would agree with running AFR 225 heads, this head is hard to beat right out of the box.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

I'm getting ready to do the 402/225cc AFR combo myself. Doe anyone here have any feedback about the most radical cam I could use in this combo that would still be sniffer emmissions compliant?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoulder Shaker
Why do you say the spec 3 is not the best choice. Will it hold up? I just want to know because that's what I have right now.

Actually if you already have it the danger is over. That clutch has a history of not being very reliable out of the box. Some people such as myself had good dealings with that clutch and it seems that if you get past the first 1000 miles you are ok then. The RAM clutches have a better reliability history but usually needed to use aftermarket hydraulics to work in the C5. These new ram hd powergrip clutches work with the factory hydraulics and that is the way I went on my C6. Good luck but you already had it...
Old 05-03-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
Actually if you already have it the danger is over. That clutch has a history of not being very reliable out of the box. Some people such as myself had good dealings with that clutch and it seems that if you get past the first 1000 miles you are ok then. The RAM clutches have a better reliability history but usually needed to use aftermarket hydraulics to work in the C5. These new ram hd powergrip clutches work with the factory hydraulics and that is the way I went on my C6. Good luck but you already had it...

I did a spec one car works great. A few weeks later I did the identical clutch to a different customers car and it blew out 2 master cylinder because it was so much stiffer
But they both seem to be holding fine.
Ask around about those new aussie clutches, I hear that they are good and not to pricy.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikeyZ06
I'm getting ready to do the 402/225cc AFR combo myself. Doe anyone here have any feedback about the most radical cam I could use in this combo that would still be sniffer emmissions compliant?
depends on what you mean by pass....if you just drive through the parking lot and dont stop, they cant fail you.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrentB@TEA
short block seems to work well
a TEA stage 3 6.0l heads would work best on that cubic inch IMO
TRex cam will peak to early for that size engine.
Walbro and 30 FMS will work fine
everything else will work good. Heads could stand to be a little bit bigger.
Can't say on what heads to run from another company

good luck! Brent
I just put an SLP 402 with a 248/252 .629 cam in my car, why dont you send me a nice set of your st3's. I'll do some before and after dynos for you to capitolize on.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Guys I really apperciate the info. As far as heads go I am trying to scratch up the money. I had a really nice setup and got a little happy with the TNT and broke a ringland on the dyno.

I wasn't expecting to buy a new motor at this point and I have to do what I can afford, not to mention the motor and car only has 3,700 mi on the odometer.

I am ditching the N20 and going with something that will be fun to drive and can be driven on the track, not a max effort build but I would like some nice numbers also.

cyclerage - I would love a PM or post on your setup, dyno #'s, and how you like your cam and where you got it.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Guys I really apperciate the info. As far as heads go I am trying to scratch up the money. I had a really nice setup and got a little happy with the TNT and broke a ringland on the dyno.

I wasn't expecting to buy a new motor at this point and I have to do what I can afford, not to mention the motor and car only has 3,700 mi on the odometer.

I am ditching the N20 and going with something that will be fun to drive and can be driven on the track, not a max effort build but I would like some nice numbers also.

cyclerage - I would love a PM or post on your setup, dyno #'s, and how you like your cam and where you got it.
No dyno #'s yet, I've been doing some side work to rebuilt the car fund. I love my cam. It does surge a bit around 1500rpms in traffic but I have gotten around to tuning that out yet. But its not that bad. I still need to do my heads, what I have on there is not bad but I would love a set of stage 3's or some AFR225-62cc chambers if they ever com out.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

AFR 225s = best option for the price. I'd suggest you shoot for those, and if you can't afford, stick with your stock heads until you can upgrade. Yeah, I know that sounds horrid, but a budget means doing what you can. If you can afford the PP S3 heads now, then you aren't that far away from the AFRs.

The T-Rex will work, but the 110LSA is too narrow. Back it up to 113 or 114 and it should peak ~6400 in the 402. Otherwise, you're looking at an L98 type power curve. Bleh.

Oh, and if you have the springs and all, just get the bare AFRs and save yourself some money that way.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Teching In

OK new update I sold my TREX cam, my heads and springs.

I need a cam suggestion. I have to buy heads now also.

Thanks,
Earl
Old 05-07-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

OK new update I sold my TREX cam, my heads and springs.

I need a cam suggestion. I have to buy heads now also.

Thanks,
Earl
Give Mike at Rapid Motorsports a call. He has some nice stroker cams.

Quick Reply: SLP-ZL402 LS2 In a 2002 TA -- Need a little tech help