Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.1 Hemi Vs Production Ls2 Should we worry

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People were amazed ! Did you ever see the 6 wheel drive diesels, I think they were called T-rex's. They were sort of on the line of a Deuce. There were two running around. AWESOME ! I think they were aimed at a possible miltary vehicle. One was red with HUGE stacks, the bed was full of "riders".... One diesel (turbo's of course) did the customary Brice Road burnout, sat completely still for a LONG time just spinning then kept spinning for about 100 yards.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Did some research, the Trex's were modified V-10's, sorry. Still AWESOME !
Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

I own both a 2007 Charger SRT8 and a 1999 Camaro Z28; both cars are doing low 12s in the 1/4 mile. I just got my camaro a few weeks back and I'm about to install AFR heads on it and bigger valves on my Charger SRT8. I love both my cars; each has something special that makes them unique. I plan to keep both my cars for ever and continue modifying them. Hopefully both my cars will be in the 11s by next year.

check out my vids... www.youtube.com/cgarza12
Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRT8
Tha Challenger "looks like ***" ? Hey Highschool Hairy, your GTO is nothing more than a "Japanized" GrandAm with a V8 in it, thus the complete redo of the GTO for 2011(?). GM failed miserably with the "new" GTO and has basically done the same with the G8, they look like ricers (THIS from diehard GM people) !! They have not done justice to the V8 they installed in them. MOST are hoping for a retro following as Ford and Chrysler has done, possibly with a remake of the JUDGE with modern updates. A cockroach shaped care is loved in Japan, not so much here. Chrysler did the same with the new Charger, it is nothing more than a Magnum sedan, a family car. The Charger is also scheduled for a remake in 2011, hopefully they will get it right this time around. The Mustang and the Challenger are right on for the 35 and older crowd. Kids are fine with a lump and four wheels.
HTF do you consider a GTO japanized? A) the new GTO came from australia, B) a clean coupe with 350-400 HP is a warmed over grand am? Thats retarded

Anyways, its just my opinion, the challenger to me looks like ***. I also hate the way 05+ mustangs look too. I'd rather take a sleak bodied car with lots of power over something that looks retro. High school harry huh? Oook you know nothing about me.

I can respect anything thats fast, and I'm sure there will be bad *** challengers just like there are some badass mustangs out there, but 9 out of 10 of them are not going to be interesting vehicles IMO.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 AM

To each their own... I stated what myself and many GM owner feel. You love yours that is all that matters.
You can learn alot about someone from their myspace site, many employers (and the govenment) use them as background "tools".
Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

People were amazed ! Did you ever see the 6 wheel drive diesels, I think they were called T-rex's. They were sort of on the line of a Deuce. There were two running around. AWESOME ! I think they were aimed at a possible miltary vehicle. One was red with HUGE stacks, the bed was full of "riders".... One diesel (turbo's of course) did the customary Brice Road burnout, sat completely still for a LONG time just spinning then kept spinning for about 100 yards.
No, have not seen those trucks. Sounds like a riot though
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

To each their own... I stated what myself and many GM owner feel. You love yours that is all that matters.
You can learn alot about someone from their myspace site, many employers (and the govenment) use them as background "tools".
Yep, and you can see how well that went. I use mine mainly to keep in touch with people I've met through my military service.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Default intersting fact

let the record show that the "hemi" refers to the hemispherical combustion chamber, which chrysler loves to brag about, but probably more than 50% of gm vehicle's have had hemispherical combustion chambers for years. really just over-rated. at least i wouldn't buy one.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM

NOT interresting at all really....... Your "record" would be completely WRONG. The only head possibly used on a Chevrolet that was hemispherical would have been the ARIAS which was designed to be used on the big block Chevy engine (made by ARIAS not GM), many of these were and still are being used in tractor pulling engines. The GM (all) use a wedge or maybe a semi pent roof combustion chamber.. So you should revise your records showing this untrue claim. Ardun also made hemi heads to use on the old flathead V8 Ford engines as a conversion. Chrysler has the "bragging rites" my friend. ALL top fuel, top alcohol, T/F funnycars no matter what manufacturer sponsors them are direct derivitives(sp) of the original Chrysler design. John Force is working on building a Ford Hemi for funny cars right now, it also uses the Chrysler HEMI as a design basis. Chevy may be considered a "canted valve" chamber too if not mistaken.

Add to this the fact that the T/F engines are putting out 8000hp, that is 1000hp PER cylinder, NO other engine design but the HEMI can make this claim. Yet another "bragging" rite. The wedges, etc. DO breath better at lower rpms' but when it's ***** to the wall HP you need, the HEMI has it...... Nascar banned the HEMI for this reason. Check it out, it's all in black and white and factual. In NHRA/AHRA/NASCAR, Chrysler has been "factored" and had more weight added to the cars to slow them than ANY other manufacturer. Chrysler had to run smallblocks (305ci) in the Superbirds and Daytonas to be "fair" (to quiet the whines from the other manufacturers), the smallblocks still won... SO, NASCAR outlawed the Superbird and Daytona. THIS is why Chrysler pulled out of NASCAR completely, why try if you are constantly penalized to let the "competition" win ? From that pulling out point till now GM and Ford flourished, Chrysler has to play catch up. GM and Ford have the advantage due to this, for now..... And now we have TOYOTA.

Last edited by SRT8; 12-02-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

funny thread, I have to agree with you on the GTO. GM dropped the ball. I know it has an awesome engine and handles great, but style??? It looks like an overgrown Cavalier. They screwed up the GTO name with this one. Yes I have a Hemi Truck and two LS1 TA's. The Challenger is the best looking Retro of the 3 followed by the Mustang. The Camaro looks good but it looks a lot like the challenger from the side. I do not like the dash of the Camaro compared to the Challenger/Charger dash.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GM WORLD CLASS
let the record show that the "hemi" refers to the hemispherical combustion chamber, which chrysler loves to brag about, but probably more than 50% of gm vehicle's have had hemispherical combustion chambers for years. really just over-rated. at least i wouldn't buy one.

WTF?????

Out of the "more than 50% of GM vehicles have had hemispherical cumbustion chamber"......can you name ONE????

I am not trying to start a war here, but man you just put your foot in your mouth on that one. I do not need to duplicate what SRT8 said, as he pretty much hit the nail on teh head on that one.

Any other argument that Chevy has a "hemi" head is just useless and not true.

I would like to add that Ford did come up with thier version of the "hemi" when they came out with the 429 Boss. It was also known as the "Semi Hemi" and "Shotgun". It featured a "semi" hemispherical combustion chamber, or "crescent" shaped to compete with CHRYSLER'S HEMI in NASCAR in the late 60's.

And as said above, the only "Hemi" Chevy was not even made by Chevy, again, as stated above, it was made by Arias, who still continue to manufacture the ARIAS HEMI head, and they also make Pistons, blocks and such. Thsoe guys have been around a LONG time.

Last edited by Gen414; 12-06-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: ADDED
Old 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Damn Gen414, I forgot all about the "Shotgun" Ford, AWESOME looking engine ! It died pretty quick though too many problems with them, they had a very short running life. The ones surviving are either not run or limited to VERY short runs, parts breakage and premature wear played hell with them. If you own one in an original Mustang "Boss 429" you have a GOLDMINE. Now Fords DOHC "cammer" was another story ! Chrysler played with a "ball stud" HEMI for a while but never got it to actually run on it's own, they powered it with electric motors to test it, it kept breaking the rocker arm girdles. If the parts breaking would have been cast/made of steel it WOULD have been a terror, time and money killed the project. I just read not too long ago who owns the only surviving prototype but can't remember who right now, possibly Dick Landy's shop. The plugs weren't through the valve covers like the HEMI we all (???) know.
I sort of miss ALL the big blocks, they had a sound of their own.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s346k, the '09's with the 6 speed have and 3:91 gears, much better than the auto with 3:06 gears. One of these will be "trouble"....
i know nothing about the challengers. i know i love the way they look and if i was forced to buy a new car it would definately be an srt challenger. they are so damn good looking off the floor, it's amazing. i wasn't looking for a race nor am i trying to be condescending toward them. i think they're badass cars and it sounds like the 6 spd 09 cars with some mods will roll out despite their weight. the ta will never be anything more than it is now, so i could care less how it runs. it's my wife's car as i would never have chosen a ws6 m6 car. i had an 00 a4 z28 bolt-on/stall car...now i'm to the point i'll never buy another 4th gen fbody, i HATE working on them.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Damn Gen414, I forgot all about the "Shotgun" Ford, AWESOME looking engine ! It died pretty quick though too many problems with them, they had a very short running life. The ones surviving are either not run or limited to VERY short runs, parts breakage and premature wear played hell with them. If you own one in an original Mustang "Boss 429" you have a GOLDMINE. Now Fords DOHC "cammer" was another story ! Chrysler played with a "ball stud" HEMI for a while but never got it to actually run on it's own, they powered it with electric motors to test it, it kept breaking the rocker arm girdles. If the parts breaking would have been cast/made of steel it WOULD have been a terror, time and money killed the project. I just read not too long ago who owns the only surviving prototype but can't remember who right now, possibly Dick Landy's shop. The plugs weren't through the valve covers like the HEMI we all (???) know.
I sort of miss ALL the big blocks, they had a sound of their own.

You know it man!!! And the SOHC motor's with thier 8 FOOT LONG timing chain Brings back memories of some wild Funny Cars, and who could come up with the craftiest idea. I remember reading an article along time ago on how Don Garlits would over inflate his slicks to like 100PSI, and let them sit for like weeks like that to "stretch" the tire, and then of course when it came time to use them he would drop the pressure. You know, tire technology was not (obviously) like it is today, and they were limited, and you had to be creative to make those things hook up on those tiny slicks back then. Just one of those things, ya know? Yeah, the Boss was VERY limited, 2 years, and teh 69 Boss 429 Mustangs today are fetching $250-500K. Parts for teh Boss 429 are pretty much dried up though. You can piece together a Boss with aftermarket stuff though, but still is way high tying to do that as well. You can actually take a truck 429/460 Big Block and can adapt the Boss heads to it. Long story about that, but it can be done. I THINK Dove is an aftermarket company that is making Boss stuff right now. But again, teh original stuf is rare and almost impossible to find, like you said.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GM WORLD CLASS
He never said anything about GM V8s. I believe he was refering to the 4 and 6 cylinder engines that have "HEMI" chambers. At least they are as close to hemispherical as the new Chrystler "Hemi". Almost every 4 cylinder ever build has a hemispherical combustion chamber. Yeah the original "hemis" breathed well on the top end for cars of their day, but to market an engine or car because of it's combustion chamber shape makes me laugh.

I personally think the Challenger looks good, but it's too tall compaired to it's width. Well from the pics I've seen anyway. I'm in Iraq and haven't seen one in person. I love the look of the upcoming camaro, and the mustang is ok. The GTO was alright and the G8 looks good. Before the 04 GTO came out there was a concept drawing that looked more like the 66-67. If Pontiac goes the retro route on the next GTO I'd love to see it look more like a 66-67, or a 68-69.

Last edited by t_raven; 12-13-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by t_raven
He never said anything about GM V8s. I believe he was refering to the 4 and 6 cylinder engines that have "HEMI" chambers. At least they are as close to hemispherical as the new Chrystler "Hemi". Almost every 4 cylinder ever build has a hemispherical combustion chamber. Yeah the original "hemis" breathed well on the top end for cars of their day, but to market an engine or car because of it's combustion chamber shape makes me laugh.

I personally think the Challenger looks good, but it's too tall compaired to it's width. Well from the pics I've seen anyway. I'm in Iraq

First of all and most importantly, THANK YOU!!! I am assuming that since you are in Iraq that you are serving our country. If indeed that is the case, you have all teh thanks in teh world from me and my family. I know "thanks" can mean only oh so much, but trust me when I say that it means alot to me and my family!

Now, I don't have much knowledge on the 4 bangers, I must admit. However, I have been around cars for all my life, and I have never heard of the term "Hemi" and "Chevy" in the same sentence, regardless of how many cylinders, except: The Arias Hemi (Chevy based) and big time engine builder Sonny Leonard a few years back came up with his own version of a "Hemispherical" cylinder head for his Mountain Motors he builds for Pro Mods. And that's it. Now, Im not saying that its not true if you are refering to teh 4 and 6 bangers. Again, I am pointing out that I have not heard of it. And, if I have not heard of it, it couldn't have been that great of a design, or really been a "hemisphercial" combustion chamber. Im gonna do a google on Hemi and Chevy and see what I come up with.

Back to your too tall and not wide enough....oh no...that car is not too tall for how wide it is. Car is wide. It's a pretty big car in general, and it is definitelt wide enough. I have got 2 that were on a lot here locally about 2 months ago (long gone) and I got pics up close and personal, and there is 1 driving around locally. The car is just fawkin sick!!! I love it!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Well no need to thank me, I'm over here as a civilian........well thank me if you want, but my pay is all the thanks I need lol.

There have been a lot of engines with hemispherical combustion chambers but Chrystler's V8 Hemis were some of the first, and maybe the only v8s with a true hemisperical chamber if I'm not mistaken. But the new hemis don't have a true "hemi" chamber. (They don't because it's not the most efficient) It's not totally round like the old ones, but it still falls into the classification of hemispherical combustion chamber. But so do most Honda engines for that matter. That's why it was always so funny to me when Chrystler brought the "Hemi" back. I was a Honda tech at the time and I'd be working on a Civic and be thinking....."hey....that thing got a Hemi?" lmao. None of the other companies marketed engines as "Hemi" engines because it was kinda pointless to do so. What grandma cares if her Honda or Buick has Hemispherical combustion chambers?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 PM

t raven,
Read the above writings for where the TRUE HEMIS are, there are no others... The Honda's would fall into the "pentroof" catagory, as does the Northstar engine, not HEMI. Most are of the semi pentroof or wedge chamber design. You are correct with the info you stated on the "gen 3 HEMI" it's not a true hemispherical (half grapefruit) chamber as the original HEMI's were it does follow some of the lines though. The HEMI's were NEVER aimed at efficiency, they were designed for maximun HP and have done that quite well over the years. This is why the original is the most sought after design for drag racing in the T/F, T/A category. The pentroof is a very well breathing engine, especially with 4 valves, the indy engines LOVE that design great for ultra high rpm work. HEMI is a trademark owned by Chrysler Coproration.

Granny just wants something to RUN from church or the grocery store SAFELY :-)

The old Harleys and Triumphs (bikes) vertical twins were the closest to the original HEMI design actually. H-D uses a "bathtub" chamber now.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

hmm......I see...I knew that the Chrysler hemis were probably the only ones with a true hemispherical chamber but it seems like Honda was calling theirs hemispherical in their training modules. Pay no attention to T Raven, I just like to think I'm smart lol. I personally love the looks of the old hemis and would love to have one in a rat rod or something, but I just think that the idea of a hemi chamber for anything other than the highest of horse power engines is over rated. Anyway enough of my ramblings.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:34 PM

No problem... Most people think that if it has a plug in the center of the chamber it is a HEMI, sort of funny really. Takes time to learn what they actually are. The "new" HEMI is a bit of the old (gen 1 and 2) and the new combined with modern technology to make HP and some better mileage too. They along with almost every engine placed in newer vehicle are a work of art ! The technology is ALL manufactures these days is UNREAL and much more expensive to manufacture............ Hard for us oldtimers to keep up with them too !
The pentroof is an upside down "V" with the valves aiming downward toward the piston, whether it's two or four. They can make some serious HP with the design, also why many Japanese engines run like a scalded rabbit ! Four cylinders with massive air/fuel in and the exhaust sent out effectively will RUN !

Quick Reply: 6.1 Hemi Vs Production Ls2 Should we worry