Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 bolt help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 bolt help

I bought a forged 348ci shortblock with no core. Well the LS6 block that was supplied is an 04 and uses LS2 bolts. I didn't know this and couldn't figure out why my LS1 head bolts wouldn't fit. I thought there was something wrong with the block. Now that I have discovered this I ordered new GM bolts for the block. What do these torque too? Is it the same sequence? Is there anything else I should know?

Old 06-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Teching In

no you should only need the LS2 head bolts and the torque specs and sequence is the same i do it all the time so if you need me to i can e-mail you the page out of an '05 corvette service manual.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks but I already snapped one of the head bolts in the block! On the second pass too so I don't know what gives. Wasn't even that much torque. Going with ARP head studs now. Just out of curiosity what do LS2 bolts get torqued to? Te final torque number.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Thanks but I already snapped one of the head bolts in the block! On the second pass too so I don't know what gives. Wasn't even that much torque. Going with ARP head studs now. Just out of curiosity what do LS2 bolts get torqued to? Te final torque number.
I was under the distinct impression you were to tighten the GM head and main fasteners using torque angle instead of resistance. Not sure about the ARP's though.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
I was under the distinct impression you were to tighten the GM head and main fasteners using torque angle instead of resistance. Not sure about the ARP's though.
Arp recommends 65 foot lbs for there studs on aluminum blocks. That is what I used. I torqued them to 25, 35 then finally 65. Remember you don't need to torque the studs, just the nuts. I torqued the smaller nuts on top of the heads to 25. Use the same torqing sequence recommended by GM.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info, I am planning on ARP studs (whenever they get off backorder) for my head install. I am pretty sure that the original poster's problem is because you aren't supposed to torque factory GM fasteners down past the point where you set it for torque angle. You could look it up in the service manual or in Handzel's book.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock bolts are TQ to yeild, but someone had converted it over to a solid number that provided the same angle.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The stock bolts are TQ to yeild, but someone had converted it over to a solid number that provided the same angle.
That's what I was referring to. I torqued mine to angle like in LS1howto.com but I was hoping somebody had the torque number. I've seen it before but do not remember.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Thanks for the info, I am planning on ARP studs (whenever they get off backorder) for my head install. I am pretty sure that the original poster's problem is because you aren't supposed to torque factory GM fasteners down past the point where you set it for torque angle. You could look it up in the service manual or in Handzel's book.
96 Comp,
I believe Scoggin Dickey has them in stock. Just FYI...
Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
I have a LS2 402 and used ARP head bolts. They are all one length (same length as the shorter OEM head bolts). ARP includes instructions for torque specs with moly lube and with engine oil. Both are no where near what the factory torque-to-yield torue specs are.

Quick Reply: LS2 bolt help