Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2006 Z06 Dyno with LG Pro Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe that some people are sort of bashing this car. I mean seriously, why bash a car that you can buy off the showroom floor with a factory warranty that will run faster than some street bikes? Last I heard was 11.7@125 in stock trim. That is pretty damn impressive for a factory stock car if you ask me. I realize that I could drop a C5R 427 in my LT1 Camaro with enough money and fabrication but it damn sure wouldn't be stock. I think that is what is so impressive about the C6 Z06, that it performs as well as it does in stock trim. You just buy the car and run it 125 MPH down the 1/4. Oh, and for substantially less money than comparable exotics. My hat goes off to GM for making such a bad *** car from the factory.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
I can see there is no stopping the crowd...where is the 600rwhp car...and where is this 100k Z06.....and why did GM have John Lingenfelter design the LS6 head....lol. The Z06 motor was tested STOCK for a lot of miles huh, ok so the reliability wont change if you do a cam, headers, pulley, clutch.....

The Z06 is awesome.

The 427 is awesome.

The ECS 441 is more awesome.

I'M JUST NOT GETTING WHY EVERYONE IS SO HYPE FOR THIS UNPROVEN MOTOR. We see this everytime a product comes out....like all the AFR hype for a year till it came out and got you 30rwhp over your stock heads and the FAST manifold dominated every dayum thread for 9 months and it got 12 on a stock car. But in the meantime we heard about what it was 'going to do' and the unrealistic numbers. Well, I hope one gets modded and gets a whopping 7rwhp more than the average superstroker so these worship posts die.

nobody is saying you can't build a stroker motor for less that will make equal power for less money...

i think the concensus is that it is nice to have a production 427 that looks like it will put down 600 to the ground with exhaust, a cam, and tuning...

if you have enough coin to buy a new z06 then it is obviously a good buy for the money....

nobody here is saying to go buy a c5/f-body and put in a crate ls7 over another stroker LSX...

im most interested to see how easily the heads will adapt to an earlier LSX stroker and if there are any cost benefits...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Back on topic, can someone clear this up for me. The guy in the original post said the first graph was a baseline run. I usually assume a baseline run to be before modifications.

Is the first graph a baseline in stock form or a baseline after header install? After looking at the second chart I would assume/hope that it's the later...

Jon
Old 09-29-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wannabe
are you on crack or the rag... when did anyone say it wud be stronger than any other 427 we all said it put down nice #'s
A 65k car that you can't find for under 75k / 441 from a 427 = nice numbers and I'm on crack
Old 09-29-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the 443 was a baseline, but the motor was hot and they found out after installing the headers that the computer is effecting power after the motor gets hot...

the 48X was after headers when the motor was cooler....so what they are saying is the baseline probably would have been higher if the motor was cooler...

so the 40hp difference probably would have been smaller...after they can tune the car it won't matter anyway...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A 65k car that you can't find for under 75k / 441 from a 427 = nice numbers and I'm on crack
yah it should have put down 550rw stock with a 211/230 cam
Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
yah it should have put down 550rw stock with a 211/230 cam
Isn't that the quote?...greta numbers ? 441? what other numbers are you talking about? Yeah keep laughing. So now it has nice numbers because of its tiny cam. Any other handicaps you want to give it?

Its a 427 and my gripe for the last time isnt with this motor but that in this section that is for LS2LS7 based engines the first 10 threads are filled with 8 posts on the LS7 and what it might dowith bolt on and now a cam. So what is your 'tech input' on the LS7.....with a 280/290 cam it will put down 800rwhp? Gimme a break. It isn't any better than any other 427 so whats all the hype about? Where is the hype for all the 402's that cost half as much and put down over 550 to the wheels?

great numbers....great numbers....great numbers...ok, cam it and see its no stronger than any other 427. After your done modding your 65k car if you get one for that come back and say it is any better. Great numbers 441. wow I mean wow.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely WORSHIP THIS CAR AND ITS ENGINE

Just to **** off spin uptop

What the hype is, GM Built a world beater for 68k. It comes with a warranty, will out run most of anything at an autocross/dragstrip ....STOCK and then there is the looks of the car, absolutely gorgeous.

So go buy a stock C6 and have one of your favorite companies build you a LS2 427 for it, add up the cost...should have just bought it from GM with the 427 already in there to start with. Upgraded Brakes, suspension, carbon fiber body panels....the whole shebang and not just an engine...the whole package.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I absolutely WORSHIP THIS CAR AND ITS ENGINE

Just to **** off spin uptop

What the hype is, GM Built a world beater for 68k. It comes with a warranty, will out run most of anything at an autocross/dragstrip ....STOCK and then there is the looks of the car, absolutely gorgeous.

So go buy a stock C6 and have one of your favorite companies build you a LS2 427 for it, add up the cost...should have just bought it from GM with the 427 already in there to start with. Upgraded Brakes, suspension, carbon fiber body panels....the whole shebang and not just an engine...the whole package.
I did. and it sits next to my C5 that can beat a Z06 too....and I have a T1 suspension so dont even go there on the Z06's 190 dollar a set shocks either
Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can you say that a 427 with heads that flow 370 will not smoke any ls1/ls6 headed motors?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
How can you say that a 427 with heads that flow 370 will not smoke any ls1/ls6 headed motors?
We went throught the head flow thing already if you scroll back a bit...et performance has 5 heads to choose from that out flow the LS7 heads available in 11 or 15 degree. Up to almost 390 cfm if I'm not mistaken.

But....once again, why don't you tell me what it will smoke after you see one make some real power in line with what other 427's make. We will have to see if using the LS7 manifold makes it even worth it in view of the great LS2 manifold GM botch job....maybe the FAST manifold will get 20-25 rwhp more....oh wait that will void the warranty....dayum
Old 09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Spinmonster, why all the hate?

If you can't appreciate a bone stock Chevy that runs 11.5 @ 127, I don't know what to say. I don't see many other stock factory production cars out there running those times for that price. Maybe since you know so much about 427s you should build some Corvettes with 650 rwhp 441s that run 9s stock, and lets see you offer that warranty Chevy does so you can fix any problems for no cost to the owners. Oh and I'm sure you could sell this all new Vette for 25k right? Yeah I'm sure buddy. I'm sure you'd be in business for a long time and make tons of dough! Oh right and the 03 Cobra motor is so impressive right? Yeah all forged V8 with a supercharger that puts down 360 measly rwhp. I'm SO impressed - almost 100 HP less than a bone stock de-tuned Vette with a baby cam and restrictive exhaust that has NO POWER adder. Woweee zippity ****** doo da Ford.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Isn't that the quote?...greta numbers ? 441? what other numbers are you talking about? Yeah keep laughing. So now it has nice numbers because of its tiny cam. Any other handicaps you want to give it?

Its a 427 and my gripe for the last time isnt with this motor but that in this section that is for LS2LS7 based engines the first 10 threads are filled with 8 posts on the LS7 and what it might dowith bolt on and now a cam. So what is your 'tech input' on the LS7.....with a 280/290 cam it will put down 800rwhp? Gimme a break. It isn't any better than any other 427 so whats all the hype about? Where is the hype for all the 402's that cost half as much and put down over 550 to the wheels?

great numbers....great numbers....great numbers...ok, cam it and see its no stronger than any other 427. After your done modding your 65k car if you get one for that come back and say it is any better. Great numbers 441. wow I mean wow.
how many 400+ cube ls1's making over 500rwhp are emissions legal??? hmm....ZERO? it is a production motor...they have to abide by laws....yes(LAWS) to release a car to the public...

i really DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT??? everyone here know's the LS7 is basically like a shop built 427 with some differences and a small *** emission legal cam....nobody here is saying it will replace shop motors and they will all go under

it's good to see gm incorporate a lot of the advancement in small block technology into their best car...

like i already said if you can afford a new z06 then buy one...i sure as hell would...

you know how much the cam is limiting the power output...dont make smartass comments ...

im sorry a production small block that WILL lay down 600hp with a different cam and exhaust and some tuning does not excite you.....

you act like everyone here is claiming everyone should quit building stroker gen 3 small blocks and just buy ls7 crate motors....
Old 09-29-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

How big are the ports on the ET heads? How big are the ports on the LS7 heads?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Spinmonster, why all the hate?

If you can't appreciate a bone stock Chevy that runs 11.5 @ 127, I don't know what to say. I don't see many other stock factory production cars out there running those times for that price. Maybe since you know so much about 427s you should build some Corvettes with 650 rwhp 441s that run 9s stock, and lets see you offer that warranty Chevy does so you can fix any problems for no cost to the owners. Oh and I'm sure you could sell this all new Vette for 25k right? Yeah I'm sure buddy. Oh right and the 03 Cobra motor is so impressive right? Yeah all forged V8 with a supercharger that puts down 360 measly rwhp. I'm SO impressed - almost 100 HP less than a bone stock Vette that has NO POWER adder. Woweee zippity ****** doo da.
First of all I have 2 really fast vettes C5 is about 625rwhp (475 all motor 348)on the bottle (C6 isn't done yet) and a track only car 426 hekim/dart (9500rpm at the traps and no titanium con. rods) that is always in the nines...built them all myself.

The cobra statement was simply that they built a really strong lower end that repeatedly stands up to 700+ to the wheels modded and I think the Chevy platform (even the base C6) should do that too since the car is 20k more to buy. That isn't too unreasonable.

There is no reason to start with profanity since I was just voicing my opinion. The Z06 is a great car. The motor is awesome. It just isnt any BETTER than anything that was available yesterday. If you're leaving it stock...buy it. If you want a higher performing car, you can beat it for much less money with a Z51 and a stroker motor/suspension....at least I did.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How big are the ports on the ET heads? How big are the ports on the LS7 heads?
Whatever size you order them in. ... or is the question to lecture me on "blue Pill" port velocity. How much power do you want to make?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, no one said the LS7 will be the only engine to get when it comes more available. As far as price is concerned, when was the last time anyone could buy a car that costs ~67k and run over 125mph in the 1/4 and handle almost as well as a racecar while still retaining every-day drivability? Performance for dollar it's the best car out there and THAT'S what GM was trying to achieve.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whatever size you order them in. ... or is the question to lecture me on "blue Pill" port velocity. How much power do you want to make?
It was a question (hence the ?). I dont know the port size on the ls7 heads.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
how many 400+ cube ls1's making over 500rwhp are emissions legal??? hmm....ZERO? it is a production motor...they have to abide by laws....yes(LAWS) to release a car to the public...

i really DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT??? everyone here know's the LS7 is basically like a shop built 427 with some differences and a small *** emission legal cam....nobody here is saying it will replace shop motors and they will all go under

it's good to see gm incorporate a lot of the advancement in small block technology into their best car...

like i already said if you can afford a new z06 then buy one...i sure as hell would...

you know how much the cam is limiting the power output...dont make smartass comments ...

im sorry a production small block that WILL lay down 600hp with a different cam and exhaust and some tuning does not excite you.....

you act like everyone here is claiming everyone should quit building stroker gen 3 small blocks and just buy ls7 crate motors....
I AGREE.

Actually that is exactly what my point is. It seemed like everyone was saying that...

I read: wow, I gotta get these heads (like they were the best that was ever made)....and wow those are great numbers....441.....

I started with a 427 motor observation asking what was the hype over it? Somehow it became a Z06 bashing which it isnt. It was an observation that you are getting what you paid for and it will not perform any better than an aftermarket forged motor. If youre saying that it is good for a production motor...I agree 100% with you. If you're saying it is the best one out there....100% disagree and it isn't even close, not even for the price.

I was just wondering why so many threads are in awe and I haven't seen any real numbers from one.

Hey if it puts down 630 with the stock heads ported I will buy one too.

I wasnt being a wiseazz and my opinion was taken as an attack.

Why no Z06 for me...stupid answer you will think but I want the removable roof. That is just my thing. It isn't good for rigidity but its what I wanted. If I read later that the Z06 roof can be made removable with some mod...I will probably get one myself in 3 years when I'm tired of this C6. Like my C5 and C6 tho....the warranty will be violated the first week. Thats just me.

Still not seeing anything better...just the best chevy put out.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was a question (hence the ?). I dont know the port size on the ls7 heads.
I don;t know. Sorry

Quick Reply: 2006 Z06 Dyno with LG Pro Long Tube Headers